IOM government conference

Banker

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Anybody interested (or influential) will find the time. They always manage to do it for the Budget Breakfast.

This is 2 whole days if I read it right though. Who has got two whole days they can take off work or away from their business to listen to a load of civil servants talk absolute BS? 

• Like 1

It's over 2 days and I actually think it will be worthwhile, if you can make it.

Agreed it would have been better to hold on a weekend. I'm sure someone will mention it during the conference.

As many people as possible should go to at least get their points across.

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

I'd only go if I supported the general policy thrust of the Cannan Administration, which I don't

Specific parts you don't support? I'm not sure I know what the 'general policy thrust' is that you're referring to.

6 hours ago, Banker said:

Anyone attending will either have to be retired, take a day’s holiday or be a government worker who maybe encouraged to make up numbers!

Whose idea was it to hold a conference during the hours 9-5 when  most people will be working?

https://www.gov.im/iomgconference

This looks like one of those "we've run out of ideas, somebody help" type of conferences

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

It's over 2 days and I actually think it will be worthwhile, if you can make it.

Agreed it would have been better to hold on a weekend. I'm sure someone will mention it during the conference.

The problem is that they say they're targeting the strategy at economically active people. But then they have a conference at a time when most economically active people have better things to do. 

• Like 1

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

The problem is that they say they're targeting the strategy at economically active people. But then they have a conference at a time when most economically active people have better things to do. 

I understand that and did say it would have been better to hold it on a weekend. 

Still it's the first opportunity we've had to do this and, if people can, they should go and let them know exactly what they think rather than moan about it. 

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The majority of economically active people will be working on ways to save their businesses in the coming months...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

This looks like one of those "we've run out of ideas, somebody help" type of conferences

"Let's have some ideas we can plagiarise and claim the credit for ourselves"? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Specific parts you don't support? I'm not sure I know what the 'general policy thrust' is that you're referring to.

You don't have to go for the two full days - if you look at the programme, it's divided up into sections covering different parts of the economy, so if education and workplace skills is your thing, you only need attend for one afternoon.

6 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

with the added footnote "Watch how we make a complete clusterfuck of it"

I think that there is a realization that we don’t have a great track record in anything and now the world Is undeniably fucked so it’s very unlikely that people who have been absolute headless clowns for the last 25 years of global economic growth are suddenly going to save anyones bacon. Interest will be luke warm at the most. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

You will find the general policy thrust by reading 'Our Island Plan' - a super duper strategy for the next 15 years

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kevster said:

You don't have to go for the two full days - if you look at the programme, it's divided up into sections covering different parts of the economy, so if education and workplace skills is your thing, you only need attend for one afternoon.

Are any sections devoted to the economic crisis happening now?