IOM government conference

Banker

6 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

To be fair Lewin gets most of it. But he has almost the shitest team around him. Second division vision looking at the premier next season, but Sunday league delivery. 

Is Enterprise just too big for its own good these days and lacking appropriate talent? Would be better slimming down the numbers and throwing the budget at bringing in such talent be wiser?

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Is Enterprise just too big for its own good these days and lacking appropriate talent? Would be better slimming down the numbers and throwing the budget at bringing in such talent be wiser?

Enterprise is fucked. You can see why Lewin wanted to jump ship to Cabinet Office. But equally why they forced him back. If anyone else with less ability was in that position the whole thing would be shagged in 6 months. They just need to bin it off. 

4 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Enterprise is fucked. You can see why Lewin wanted to jump ship to Cabinet Office. But equally why they forced him back. If anyone else with less ability was in that position the whole thing would be shagged in 6 months. They just need to bin it off. 

I don't have much engagement with Enterprise or many people in it, to me it just seems to be full of 'Project Managers' with very little capability and riding the gravy train.

My - slightly vino influenced- post above is basically if they cut current headcount by 20% and brought in a handful of actually very capable people from elsewhere off-Island on bumper salaries, would we get better?

The entire conference was about DFE promoting DFE. Cannan has been beguiled by and believes their shite. Hence why the Island plan is being replaced by their economic strategy. But by far the most embarrassing thing is nearly all of Cabinet office being ordered to go to make up the numbers. 

What a complete waste of everyone's time. 

Whatever happened to the 500,000 visitor vision? 

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

My - slightly vino influenced- post above is basically if they cut current headcount by 20% and brought in a handful of actually very capable people from elsewhere off-Island on bumper salaries, would we get better?

To be honest. They have capable people. They just don’t listen to any of them.

I don't have much engagement with Enterprise or many people in it, to me it just seems to be full of 'Project Managers' with very little capability and riding the gravy train.

What is scary is how many agency board members are in chamber of commerce and or supply services to DFE. In turn the same folk win the awards for excellence. 

DFE staff are already generally on 'individual ' contracts and too often promote from within without explanation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, english zloty said:

The entire conference was about DFE promoting DFE. Cannan has been beguiled by and believes their shite. Hence why the Island plan is being replaced by their economic strategy. But by far the most embarrassing thing is nearly all of Cabinet office being ordered to go to make up the numbers. 

What a complete waste of everyone's time. 

Whatever happened to the 500,000 visitor vision? 

You should have seen the exodus up Finch Road at 4.30pm each day. Flocking back to their cars for 5pm.

1 minute ago, english zloty said:

What is scary is how many agency board members are in chamber of commerce and or supply services to DFE. In turn the same folk win the awards for excellence. 

DFE staff are already generally on 'individual ' contracts and too often promote from within without explanation. 

I've seen some tweets this morning about the cruises and how the two people that run a company coordinating the cruise visitors and tours are on the Visit board.

Digital Agency board seems full of people with something to gain. Don't really see how it can be effective.

• Like 1

I've seen some tweets this morning about the cruises and how the two people that run a company coordinating the cruise visitors and tours are on the Visit board.

Well you only get about £7,500 for being on a board. If you can use that to leverage a contract that makes you £50K a year why wouldn’t you? The people you interact with are probably that thick they don’t realize what going on. 

31 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

've seen some tweets this morning about the cruises and how the two people that run a company coordinating the cruise visitors and tours are on the Visit board.

Digital Agency board seems full of people with something to gain. Don't really see how it can be effective.

Are they required to declare a conflict of interest, and absent themselves from meetings when a conflict occurs?

8 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Are they required to declare a conflict of interest, and absent themselves from meetings when a conflict occurs?

Surely they'd all be declaring conflicts all the time thus making the board ill-effective?

I think the agency boards have zero executive powers though, merely advisory capacity?