IOM government conference

Banker

17 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

You understand wrong. What a load of nonsense. 🤣

No that did happenI saw it with my own eyes. They were trying to herd people back inside as it looked like they were concerned nobody was going to stay to hear Alf close the conference out. 

21 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Anywhere did I say I wasn't? Too many people willing to be smart arses on here.

Regardless I'd say the number of tickets passing through each day was around 500. There were some people only went for specific sessions. 

But it’s clear if you went on both days you count as two people. So if the 500 on day one went to day two as well then there’s your 1,000 people. 

7 minutes ago, BriT said:

But it’s clear if you went on both days you count as two people. So if the 500 on day one went to day two as well then there’s your 1,000 people. 

Again I didn't say that wasn't the case. 😂

As for the Cannan thing, I also saw 'it' with my own eyes. It's nonsense. Nothing of the sort happened. 

Were they carrying cattle prods and leading escapees in with chains around their neck by chance? 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

As for the Cannan thing, I also saw 'it' with my own eyes. It's nonsense. Nothing of the sort happened. 

Sorry I was there on the last afternoon too. I felt very uncomfortable pushing past a lady on the door who was clearly trying to stop people leaving and usher them into Cannans speech. Sorry but that is true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steady Eddie said:

Sorry I was there on the last afternoon too. I felt very uncomfortable pushing past a lady on the door who was clearly trying to stop people leaving and usher them into Cannans speech. Sorry but that is true. 

You were actually there Eddie. Did you put your right wing nonsense across at the sessions or did you decide you can only put that nonsense forward behind a pseudonym? 

We have people on here claiming they were stopped from leaving and 'herded' inside. Did someone perhaps ask you to stay for the speech? Maybe. No one was stopped from leaving or herded anywhere though. 

• Haha 1

Just now, jackwhite said:

You were actually there Eddie. Did you put your right wing nonsense across at the sessions or did you decide you can only put that nonsense forward behind a pseudonym? 

We have people on here claiming they were stopped from leaving and 'herded' inside. Did someone perhaps ask you to stay for the speech? Maybe. No one was stopped from leaving or herded anywhere though. 

Why are you so angry? What right wing nonsense have I posted? I must have missed it. I’m just relating my experience and yes I was made to feel uncomfortable for trying to leave via the exit rather than attend the close out session. Thanks 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

Why are you so angry? What right wing nonsense have I posted? I must have missed it. I’m just relating my experience and yes I was made to feel uncomfortable for trying to leave via the exit rather than attend the close out session. Thanks 

I'm not angry just reflecting back on your views on a number of things previously. I bet you didn't raise them at the conference though in the manner you do on here. 

Not sure what made you feel uncomfortable but again no one was stopped from leaving or herded anywhere. Your post also doesn't actually seem to be contradicting that. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

I'm not angry just reflecting back on your views on a number of things previously. I bet you didn't raise them at the conference though in the manner you do on here. 

Not sure what made you feel uncomfortable but again no one was stopped from leaving or herded anywhere. Your post also doesn't actually seem to be contradicting that. 

I post very little on here and little of it right wing at all. That’s not my politics at all. Are you going to make up anything else today as you have clearly boxed yourself into a corner or are you going to call it a day?

I have related a totally truthful incident. I would use the word ‘doorstepped’ where somebody clearly tries to block your exit in order to attempt to ‘persuade’ you to change your decision. 

11 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

I said I understand as I didn’t see it myself as I wasn’t there. But clearly other people were and have said that it did happen. That’s good enough for me. 

No one was blocking any doors. It's complete nonsense to say that. 

There were people there asking if leavers would like to hear the closing speech. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

No one was blocking any doors. It's complete nonsense to say that. 

There were people there asking if leavers would like to hear the closing speech. 

Looks like a few clear eye witness accounts above confirming what happened. I’d trust those I think rather than someone in a clear rage on the issue. All you seem to do is constantly stir the pot on here and I’m having none of it.

18 hours ago, Steady Eddie said:

You beat me to it. I was two people too. 

Pathetic underachievement!  I reckon from the e-mails I received, I counted as at least four.

There's a serious point here.  Managing email lists ought to be the most basic of computer tasks and most organisations seem to manage it.  If I buy more goods from a retailer or donate again to a charity or attend another event at a venue, they don't double up their email contacts.  Yet the Government doesn't seem able to do the same thing.  The highly-paid professionals are more amateurish than even the amateurs.

You saw the same thing with content - even the emails that shifted the start time on Tuesday from 9am to 10am, linked to a schedule with a 9am start.

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

You understand wrong. What a load of nonsense. 🤣

Certainly the session I was in was frequently reminded that everyone had to be back in the Hall for Alf's closing speech.  I suppose it depends if you consider 'herding' to involve cattle-prods or just lots of slightly nervous sheepdogs.

As I've already pointed out, I reckon Cannan gave at least six speeches during the Conference, all well-delivered, bland, content-free and forgettable.  Like the 'herding', it gave the impression that the whole thing had been organised as an ego-trip for him.  This is probably unfair as he doesn't seem anything like as vain or self-important as his predecessor (he can also read out a speech competently) but it indicates how the aim of the civil service now seems to be pandering to the egos of the politicians (and no doubt each other) rather than actually doing anything.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Looks like a few clear eye witness accounts above confirming what happened. I’d trust those I think rather than someone in a clear rage on the issue. All you seem to do is constantly stir the pot on here and I’m having none of it.

Says a guy who wasn't there yet wants to comment on it. 

No one is in a 'rage'. That's the sort of thing someone says on the internet to try and play down a point.

No one has actually confirmed doors were blocked. That's what you said. It didn't happen. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jackwhite said:

No one has actually confirmed doors were blocked. That's what you said. It didn't happen. 

I’d rather believe people who say they were there and who saw what was going on. As I said you’re not getting any sort of rise out of me. Go troll someone else as trolling is all you're doing. 

• Like 1