IOM government conference

Banker

The Commis will be cheaper than the Villa but not as convenient, there does not seem much of an appetite at all for this so called Conference it is probably another waste of time and money.     Are the numbers calculated per day ?   If so and someone goes both days the headcount is misleading, a bit like the government.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The business community don't trust them.

Plain and simples.

They, and I include myself in that community, see a perfect storm coming on a wide number of fronts.

I'm sure there might be many from the Gaming Community attending. 

Anyone else in business as you say, currently has the overwhelming feeling that Govt is more interested in sabotage of the private sector in order to maintain bloat and increasing revenue in order to pay and justify itself. 

Claims of reform, improvements and cost cutting are now quite clearly 100% bullshit. 

MMisleading
AArrogant
NNarcissistic
XExploitative

PPompous
OOblivious
LLethargic
IIndifferent
TTone-deaf
IInattentive
CCorrupt
IIrresponsible
AApathetic
NNeglectful
SSelf-serving

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

IOMG spin machine in action with Minister Lord Brennan saying this years Government Conference is hoping to target the ‘Business Community’. Where does the general taxpayer come into this or do they not count? 

It's actually quite revealing listening to the full interview with Lord-Brennan at the end of the Manx Radio piece as she's so obviously flailing around, even under the very unfocussed questioning of Manx Radio.  For example she claims that it's going to be more focussed without simultaneous sessions, but that would surely require a larger venue, not a smaller one if you want to host the same number of people.  She also claimed it would cost less money that last year, despite being at a private venue[1] - and only so far having one sponsor (this went unmentioned).

The MR piece is incorrect in saying by comparing the number who attended last year with current registrations because of the no-shows that can be expected in that[2].  They also still can't wrap their minds round the idea that if someone goes on both days, they are still the same person.

[1]  The only way I could see this being justified if they are including the cost of the separate Youth Conference as well, which wouldn't be a valid comparison as this isn't taking place at all.  But even with that it seems unlikely to be cheaper.  Presumably the budget for it is even more detached from reality than most government budgets.

[2]  It's fairly telling that when pressed on why there were no evening sessions, Lord-Brennan didn't give the obvious answer "We tried that last year and no bugger came".  Even when the numbers are in their favour they don't realise it.  As usual the question as to why they couldn't hold it on a weekend went unanswered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tinpot said:

It was mainly business community there last year.  They aren’t returning this year.

It was a pointless waste of two days out of the office

Given that last year it was only one day plus an evening for the public, it's difficult to see how anyone in the 'business community' could have spent two days there.  Unless they were trying to slip in on the first day to chat up sixth-formers.

4 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

The Commis will be cheaper than the Villa but not as convenient, there does not seem much of an appetite at all for this so called Conference it is probably another waste of time and money.     Are the numbers calculated per day ?   If so and someone goes both days the headcount is misleading, a bit like the government.

It's so that they can all get together in the Spa and rub each other's backs.   Probably fill the hot-tub up with Bisto powder too. 

It's also handy for Stu to get home once the Champagne starts flowing. 

27 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

So they don't want the plebs to go.

Correct.   See above. 

2 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I have read a few articles and this thread and I still have no real idea what the government conference is about or it's aims 

I think that's the intention.  No one anywhere (including Govt) really seems to know what it's about and how it is to differ from any of the other 'Isle of Man Business Conferences' a couple of which are held each year.  This one appears to be about Govt for Govt by Govt. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The business community don't trust them.

They don’t like any of them either. You don’t even get people wanting to go on government marketing trips or conferences anymore. Most in the business community seem to hold most of them in contempt for doing absolutely nothing but looking after themselves. I’m not surprised to see this has only one corporate sponsor so close to the actual day as nobody even wants to be associated with a negative marketing activity like showing that you support these clowns. It’s the worst it’s been ever. 

Edited by Luker
Not
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luker said:

I’m not surprised to see this has only one corporate sponsor so close to the actual day as nobody even wants to be associated with a negative marketing activity like showing that you support these clowns.

And the one sponsor they do have is from Jersey.  To be fair they only seem to have started looking for other sponsors about two weeks ago.  But that very fact shows just incompetent they are.

21 minutes ago, Luker said:

Thanks for that. Hadn’t seen that yet 😂

Marbral Advisory Change Management advisers.

Didn't we have Dan Davies (formerly of Manx Radio) ten years ago as Director of Change and Reform promising 'transformational change' in the way IOM government delivers its services?

And then Chris Robertshaw doing Policy and Reform?

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Haha 1