IOM government conference

Banker

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

"Let's have some ideas we can plagiarise and claim the credit for ourselves"? 

Jeez, the Government tries to engage with the public to hear their opinions and suggestions and get met with the above.

TBH I don’t  know why they bother when they are met with such negativity. 

Damned if they do and damned if they don’t!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Jeez, the Government tries to engage with the public to hear their opinions and suggestions and get met with the above.

TBH I don’t  know why they bother when they are met with such negativity. 

Damned if they do and damned if they don’t!

This is a very small forum, don't fret so much. People are entitled to voice their opinions, remember. 

• Like 1

I did think that IOMG would actually be sensible and use the Suite. No, they are using the Royal Hall, Collanade Suite and the Cinema. I don’t think anyone thinks of the costs or the optics of putting on these events to the public. DEFA use the Villa Marina and Gardens for the Food and Drink Festival - I hope these actually make some money? 

6 hours ago, BriT said:

I think that there is a realization that we don’t have a great track record in anything and now the world Is undeniably fucked so it’s very unlikely that people who have been absolute headless clowns for the last 25 years of global economic growth are suddenly going to save anyones bacon. Interest will be luke warm at the most. 

That’s about it. Is there any expectation at all that people who have been really, really, terrible throughout the last decade or so are all of a sudden going to master the most difficult economic situation of possibly the last 100 years and transform our lives? 

9 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s about it. Is there any expectation at all that people who have been really, really, terrible throughout the last decade or so are all of a sudden going to master the most difficult economic situation of possibly the last 100 years and transform our lives? 

Oh they'll transform our lives alright, in the most detrimental ways imaginable. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Ah it's that you don't agree with.

All of it or specific parts? 

I don't agree with the idea of a 15 year vainglorious strategy that nobody has asked for

CM Cannan must put plans forward now for the massive challenges of the four years til' the next general election, & aimed at getting us out of the mess we are currently in - starting with lower cost renewable energy generation from wind turbines, putting forward policy for getting more income into the pockets of the hard-pressed GMP, & doing the utmost to ensure essential public services have the funding they need

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

I don't agree with the idea of a 15 year vainglorious strategy that nobody has asked for

CM Cannan must put plans forward now for the massive challenges of the four years til' the next general election, & aimed at getting us out of the mess we are currently in - starting with lower cost renewable energy generation from wind turbines, putting forward policy for getting more income into the pockets of the hard-pressed GMP, & doing the utmost to ensure essential public services have the funding they need

He can't do both? 

You don't think the Isle of Man needs the sort of growth he wants? 

I know the plan is far from perfect (although maybe this conference will shed some light on the detail, which is light, at best) but don't you think something drastic is required?

Yes something drastic along the lines of what I've said there

Drop the 15 grand strategy, it's already out of date

& I absolutely do not agree that population growth is the right strategy for now

My reading of KPMG recommendations is that if IOM PLC invests in climate change response & green digital infrastructure improvement then the island may well become the better place that people want to move to, but that increased population is not an economic generator in itself [or not a significant one]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1