IOM government conference

Banker

7 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Didn't we have Dan Davies (formerly of Manx Radio) ten years ago as Director of Change and Reform promising 'transformational change' in the way IOM government delivers its services?

For 13 years, if I recall correctly.

There is an organisation here, Manx Care I believe, that recently boasted that it was hiring a "network of embedded change consultants"

"Change" is a recent addition to management-speak. An additional, essential, layer of managers. Take a look at Marbrals' website. "Our aim is to up-skill you to a sufficient level so you can confidently manage change in the future, ". And we will send round some new graduate to tell you what is obvious and charge you top rates.

I used to work with software for electronics companies. Change? Every time I got into work on a Monday someone had invented a new computer language.

• Like 1

Marbral Advisory Change Management advisers.
And that is all that’s wrong with our leaders. Taken in by all this corporate garbage . All these fancy words and bullshit. Nowhere in any of that garbage is anything in layman terms saying how they will get the job done. And they don’t do they. Surround themselves with like minded and build up their fancy named empires … And our lot of numpties take it in hook line and sinker . God help us all. Breed apart these people …makes my blood boil . 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Marbral Advisory Change Management advisers.
And that is all that’s wrong with our leaders. Taken in by all this corporate garbage . All these fancy words and bullshit. Nowhere in any of that garbage is anything in layman terms saying how they will get the job done. And they don’t do they. Surround themselves with like minded and build up their fancy named empires … And our lot of numpties take it in hook line and sinker . God help us all. Breed apart these people …makes my blood boil . 

A whole pseudo-science has built up around the management of change.

12 hours ago, Luker said:

“Principal Change Architect, Lean Six Sigma Black Belt” what an absolute cock.

You may be laughing at him, but he is the realist - he is laughing all the way to the bank.

When the gov. is giving away (your) money for free, it is inevitable that someone will take up the offer.

2 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

The assumption seems to be that “employees” don’t like change and therefore have to be “managed” through it.   I would have thought that any change which was clearly for the better would be supported without any extra handling.   For example, I imagine that the reason Manx Care have lots of “change managers” is that the frontline staff perceive the changes as being a disaster waiting to happen!

Lean Six Sigma - you can buy the self-study documentation for "Free (White Belt), $150 (Yellow Belt), $250 (Green Belt), $350 (Black Belt)"

Or there is the online Lean Six Sigma Black Belt course - "Time to Complete    140 hours"

And then you are qualified to tell the Liverpool Landing Stage project managers how to do their job.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It does however seem to work with manufacturing, building etc.  Just doesn't really seem to work with 'people services'.

The problem is that we moan when projects and stuff aren't managed properly but then also moan when we get in proper qualified experienced professionals in management.  

Stuff like the Prom and Ferry Terminal clearly weren't managed properly and appear to have been managed on a 'wing it' basis by Govt. 

Which would you prefer? 

I would imagine this should be wrapped up rather quickly.

10.00am - Opening address by Mr. Cannan

10.05am - List of achievements to date by Mr. Cannan & his administration

10.06am - Conference closes

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Stuff like the Prom and Ferry Terminal clearly weren't managed properly and appear to have been managed on a 'wing it' basis by Govt. 

Which would you prefer? 

But surely those are two very different things?   Competent project management is one thing - trying to change-manage a group of workers through an unpopular change is not the same thing at all, especially if the change is clearly not for the better.

9 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I would imagine this should be wrapped up rather quickly.

10.00am - Opening address by Mr. Cannan

10.05am - List of achievements to date by Mr. Cannan & his administration

10.06am - Conference closes

No time for tea?