IOM government conference

Banker

7 hours ago, Banker said:

Hopefully they will address what’s going to happen with winter fuel allowances, state pension etc eg will we follow UK on both.

What taxes do we need to raise to pay for public services and the pay/pensions the unions demand.

will the coming UK tax increases help or hinder us.

Social housing 

You're bloody crackers. These things aren't part The Plan. You don't sound like you're part of the Plan either! Do not concern yourself with the Plan in that case and these goings on.  You have your vote and Manxforums for the silly things you've mentioned.

38 minutes ago, english zloty said:

interesting interview. pretty damning too

So true, no vision from government.  Lots of hopes, but nothing to try to deliver them.  It's government by Mr Micawber. 

Edited by Gladys

Within the next few days however there will be record attendance figures released for the event which will have been a resounding success, thus prompting preparations and research for even bigger and better hosting premises next time. Chin chin.

He’s a good man is Mitch and he does care and not just from his angle around the restaurant .It came through in that interview and the powers that be could learn a lesson forwarding it to all the Departments. He hit the nail on the head what most have been saying for years. Sort the CS bloat , grow some and start to flush out the wasters and idlers . Could start with the DOI and its vehicle purchase recently . 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

It's interesting to see what was said at last year's conference about Housing Associations etc.

https://islandplan.im/delivery-and-performance/iomgc-2023-videos/

I was there (I haven't rewatched it) and the most striking thing I remember was that the DoI Head of Public Housing was quite open about the way in which the idea of putting the DoI's stock in the hands of a new organisation and calling it a Housing Association, was to get a 'quick win' on housing and so make it look like they were doing something.  Just like all the other 'arms-length' stuff we've seen over recent years.

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I was there (I haven't rewatched it) and the most striking thing I remember was that the DoI Head of Public Housing was quite open about the way in which the idea of putting the DoI's stock in the hands of a new organisation and calling it a Housing Association, was to get a 'quick win' on housing and so make it look like they were doing something.  Just like all the other 'arms-length' stuff we've seen over recent years.

Stated with zero understanding of legislation, funding or consequence for their tenants or the local authorities. 
Good stuff. 

On 9/13/2024 at 8:08 PM, Moghrey Mie said:

Looks as though the weather is going to be fine for the Not The IOM Food and Drink Festival tomorrow.

I think we’ve found the real reason it was cancelled. They need to throw civil servant resources at making the conference look like a success. 

2 hours ago, Luker said:
On 9/13/2024 at 8:08 PM, Moghrey Mie said:

Looks as though the weather is going to be fine for the Not The IOM Food and Drink Festival tomorrow.

I think we’ve found the real reason it was cancelled. They need to throw civil servant resources at making the conference look like a success. 

I think in a way they're linked, but not how you suggest.  Both were clearly simply forgotten about - or rather the civil servants in charge of organising them[1] either couldn't be bothered or felt that expending money and effort on something the plebs were allowed to attend was beneath them. 

The Food Festival was too complicated to put together by the time the Minister realised that nothing had been done (and possibly that there was no budget for it).  The Conference could be put on with less effort at last minute (and it is very last minute) and because it's about boosting Cannan's ego, money was no object.

[1]  remember the CEO of DEFA, the CEO/Chief Secretary and the CEO of the Cabinet Office are all new since last September.

• Like 1

CM Cannan at the IOMG Conference says that IOMG to save £10million over the next 12 months …………….. yeah right. Which government departments are going to willingly take cuts to their budget? Are IOMG going to reduce the civil service headcount?

CM Cannan should be announcing all these initiatives in either the HoK or Tynwald.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1