IOM government conference

Banker

21 hours ago, code99 said:

ETA: the IOMG needs to be clear whether new jobs will be in the private sector or in the public sector where it habitually adds a couple of hundred new jobs every year.

One of the more revealing remarks at the Government Conference was when Allinson showed a graphic containing the (estimated) number of new private sector jobs.

There was no corresponding figure for public sector jobs. 

To be fair to Allinson he pointed this out - presumably he had been ordered not to show the figure.

21 hours ago, english zloty said:

Andy is a dick, so he’s not going to do anything beyond increase his salary 

To be fair he's also very good at increasing the salaries of other top civil servants.

(He's also not just a dick, but incredibly dull with it).

On 9/17/2024 at 11:51 PM, Roger Mexico said:

(Crookall turned up late due an 'unexpected funeral' so Stu had to read out his speech with all the enthusiasm of a hostage video).

Truly made me laugh - great writing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/18/2024 at 12:22 PM, Vaaish said:

Mr Cannan said he would also ask the chief executive officer Andy Ralphs to include in his longer-term plans the options of reforming government departments and organisational structures

Asking Andy Ralphs to do anything beyond colouring in with crayons is the equivalent of asking Julie Edge to do brain surgery. You may as well shit in your hand and clap.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Asking Andy Ralphs to do anything beyond colouring in with crayons is the equivalent of asking Julie Edge to do brain surgery. You may as well shit in your hand and clap.

I couldn’t possibly comment other than to say that since his appointment Ralphs has seemingly been harder to spot than the Yeti. You clearly have an insight that I don’t! 

• Like 1

They are talking about saving £1 million over the next 12 months (starting from the next budget).

I wonder how many of the ideas from SAVE were implemented when people were asked to suggest ways of saving £25 million over 5 years back in 2017?

https://www.gov.im/news/2017/nov/13/save-we-asked-you-said-our-response/

'The Treasury launched a 'Securing Added Value and Efficiencies' (SAVE) initiative in 2017, and its remit was to gather cost saving and efficiency ideas which could be introduced to achieve budgetary savings. Over 1300 ideas were submitted, of which ~700 were money-saving suggestions, and included the idea of establishing a Public Defender Scheme (PDS). A 'SAVE Progress Report' was laid before the June 2018 sitting of Tynwald, and included a 'Proof of Concept' for a PDS, which estimated that savings of over £1m per annum could be achieved.'

Edited by Moghrey Mie

45 minutes ago, Vaaish said:

You clearly have an insight that I don’t!

Sadly not, other than his public outings and those couple of introductory You Tube videos he did which had all the je nais se quois of a terrorist video.

He might be really clever but he’s definitely hiding his light under a big bushel.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Sadly not, other than his public outings and those couple of introductory You Tube videos he did which had all the je nais se quois of a terrorist video.

He might be really clever but he’s definitely hiding his light under a big bushel.

Do you have a link for the YouTube video you refer to?

6 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

He is not a member of the HOK hasn’t been  for ages he is an Onchan Commissioner, catch on.

Yes…I know that. I was simply pointing out that the denizens of Onchan historically elected him to our national assembly, despite his (and possibly their) intellectual limitations. Catch on. 

Edited by Vaaish

2 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

They are talking about saving £1 million over the next 12 months (starting from the next budget).

I wonder how many of the ideas from SAVE were implemented when people were asked to suggest ways of saving £25 million over 5 years back in 2017?

https://www.gov.im/news/2017/nov/13/save-we-asked-you-said-our-response/

'The Treasury launched a 'Securing Added Value and Efficiencies' (SAVE) initiative in 2017, and its remit was to gather cost saving and efficiency ideas which could be introduced to achieve budgetary savings. Over 1300 ideas were submitted, of which ~700 were money-saving suggestions, and included the idea of establishing a Public Defender Scheme (PDS). A 'SAVE Progress Report' was laid before the June 2018 sitting of Tynwald, and included a 'Proof of Concept' for a PDS, which estimated that savings of over £1m per annum could be achieved.'

Problem is, was any of it actually implemented and if so, what savings were achieved? It was 6/7 years ago so even Treasury should have been able to work it out and have figures to hand by now.

57 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Problem is, was any of it actually implemented and if so, what savings were achieved? It was 6/7 years ago so even Treasury should have been able to work it out and have figures to hand by now.

I seem to remember from news reports of the time a total figure of £250,000 saved....yes I haven't missed any zeros...but I can't seem to find anything about it on the internet. I reckon I'm right as if it had been a success it would still be all over the Government website.

19 minutes ago, Twitch said:

I seem to remember from news reports of the time a total figure of £250,000 saved....yes I haven't missed any zeros...but I can't seem to find anything about it on the internet. I reckon I'm right as if it had been a success it would still be all over the Government website.

So after casting a net far and wide for savings suggestions, they actually managed to save 1/40th of the now-proposed £10M savings? Doesn't auger well....