IOM government conference

Banker

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Yes something drastic along the lines of what I've said there

Drop the 15 grand strategy, it's already out of date

& I absolutely do not agree that population growth is the right strategy for now

My reading of KPMG recommendations is that if IOM PLC invests in climate change response & green digital infrastructure improvement then the island may well become the better place that people want to move to, but that increased population is not an economic generator in itself [or not a significant one]

Are you Daphne or one of her mates as all your strategies seem to resolve around climate change & green initiatives which will somehow save us?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Are you Daphne or one of her mates as all your strategies seem to resolve around climate change & green initiatives which will somehow save us?

No, I'm one of the people who believes - as KPMG appear to do - that economic growth is more likely to be achieved over the next two decades by investing as a nation in climate change response and green digital infrastructure

Possibly IOMG have taken this on board but I'm not sure their policy of artificial population increase is compatible with the ambition a sustainable island that they purport to pursue

Are you a proper banker, or a bit of a fraud?

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

No, I'm one of the people who believes - as KPMG appear to do - that economic growth is more likely to be achieved over the next two decades by investing as a nation in climate change response and green digital infrastructure

That would be the KPMG led by people who drive to work in £100K electric cars? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

I don't agree with the idea of a 15 year vainglorious strategy that nobody has asked for

CM Cannan must put plans forward now for the massive challenges of the four years til' the next general election, & aimed at getting us out of the mess we are currently in - starting with lower cost renewable energy generation from wind turbines, putting forward policy for getting more income into the pockets of the hard-pressed GMP, & doing the utmost to ensure essential public services have the funding they need

Why the obsession with wind turbines...?

With climate change becoming reality surely an investment in regular as clockwork tidal power is the better way forward...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

Why the obsession with wind turbines...?

With climate change becoming reality surely an investment in regular as clockwork tidal power is the better way forward...

Because wind power is an established energy source; and tidal is still in development and reasonably expensive. Onshore wind is cheaper to produce than gas, even offshore wind is cheaper: https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-record-low-price-for-uk-offshore-wind-is-four-times-cheaper-than-gas/ 

With the larger arrays coming online this will get cheaper still.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Because wind power is an established energy source; and tidal is still in development and reasonably expensive. Onshore wind is cheaper to produce than gas, even offshore wind is cheaper: https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-record-low-price-for-uk-offshore-wind-is-four-times-cheaper-than-gas/ 

With the larger arrays coming online this will get cheaper still.

Sure but climate change in the shape of more extreme weather simply cannot be predicted.

I suspect tidal power fell behind because, as we used to call IT systems with lots of flashing lights, the wind farms have instantly perceived value.

The IOM backing tidal research could have been a big success story.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Sure but climate change in the shape of more extreme weather simply cannot be predicted.

I suspect tidal power fell behind because, as we used to call IT systems with lots of flashing lights, the wind farms have instantly perceived value.

Coulda Woulda Shudda 

Success story? Thats very debatable, everything that IOMG are involved in turns into shit. Renewables energy will be no different and it would be years before a single turbine is erected. If Snaefell and the windiest part of the island covered in turbines, Manx Utilities will still charge consumers over the odds. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, P.K. said:

The trouble is, looking through the extensive Wiki articles, that tidal never seems to get much beyond the research and experimental station stage.  Even many of those that were set up (such as Strangford) have now been decommissioned.  They're quite heavy maintenance and there's a lot of danger to sea life, which also reduces the efficiency.  It's rather like fusion, it's been the next big thing for 50 years, but it never actually arrives.