IOM government conference

Banker

3 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Apparently there are still plenty of tickets left for this. 

So they are playing at party conferences at the taxpayers expense. I can imagine CM Cannan behind a lectern, with a IOMG strapline behind him, waffling bullshit, to a few supporters. Is the NPM going to be broadcasting the Leaders Speech? I’m sure IOMTV and Paul Moulton will have the full speech with political analysis from Chris Robertshaw and other Tynpotwald Heavyweights. 

So far this sort of stunt and grandstanding to the masses shows CM Cannan off perfectly. A total waste of indulgence, extravagance and quite frankly nauseating drivel, at a time when IOMG bloat needs to be stopped. 

Unless the Villa Marina is packed with fee paying ticketed attendees, all spending money on food and drink and the event produces an overwhelming profit? What are the chances of that? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

Apparently there are still plenty of tickets left for this. 

Well given the Royal Hall has a capacity of 1000+ that's not a surprise.  But looking at the programme, the decision to put the 'Breakout Room' (ie where they have the second session) into the Cinema (capacity 150) rather than larger rooms in the complex, seems a bit odd. 

A number of these sessions such as the "Spotlight / Q&A" on various Departments (Home Affairs, DEFA, DoI, Manx Care) and various bits of the DfE (Business, Digital, Visit IOM) would attract quite a lot of people interested in quizzing those running the organisations on their future plans or current failings.  I assume those of you always criticising these on Manx Forums will already have booked your tickets so you can put your views in person.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well given the Royal Hall has a capacity of 1000+ that's not a surprise.  But looking at the programme, the decision to put the 'Breakout Room' (ie where they have the second session) into the Cinema (capacity 150) rather than larger rooms in the complex, seems a bit odd.

The first session in the Royal Hall for the 1000 will be for carefully filtering out the unwashed who may ask difficult questions and who aren't Govt mates, pals, toadies, fags, sycophants and apologists.

The second session for 150 in the cinema will be for said carefully filtered Govt mates, pals, toadies, fags, sycophants and apologists.

The opinions gleaned will be used to formulate Govt policy for the times ahead. 😂

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

There must be a bit of a panic about low registrations (though as Banker says you can just turn up) because Gef has run a piece entitled Why You Should go to The Gov Conference with a maybe more honest URL (https://gef.im/2022/09/15/__trashed-8/).

I was struck by a rather snidey remark: PSA: bitching on Manx Forums does not make you an active participant of democracy.  Because of course it does, as does commenting on Facebook or wherever.  Criticism, wherever it takes place is an essential part of how democracy works.  What matters is what the criticism is and how it is supported, not where it is made and by whom.

It's a very typical reaction from Manx establishment types.  Any contribution is based not on what it says, by who said it.  "Who are you to say that?" is the usual response or "Why are you saying that?" with the implication that it is for some personal benefit.  It's an implicit admission that they lack the intellectual capacity to deal with argument (let alone data) and that they see no reason why anyone should propose something except for their own gain.  All they can judge things on is whether you are one of their mates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There must be a bit of a panic about low registrations (though as Banker says you can just turn up) because Gef has run a piece entitled Why You Should go to The Gov Conference with a maybe more honest URL (https://gef.im/2022/09/15/__trashed-8/).

I was struck by a rather snidey remark: PSA: bitching on Manx Forums does not make you an active participant of democracy. 

I think they’re bitching about here as pretty much everyone on here pointed out that it was a stupid idea having it on a week day and as it seems to indicate from the sign up numbers - it was a stupid idea! 

• Like 5

It’s a Alf Cannan ego trip, and a chance to massage the collective egos of COMIN. A talking shop of waffle, waffle and hot air. An opportunity for Daffy to look important, give a speech and answer questions from her adoring public and sycophants. I think Chris Thomas is giving a speech, not sure whether it’s Housing, or DOI related?

I don’t know who actually dreamt up this conference, whether it was a Cannan stunt or a civil service idea, or whether it was a paid consultant idea? The island can ill afford these grandstanding and PR stunts, but that seems to be the level of CM Cannan regime. It is something that ex CM Quayle would never have dreamed of doing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'd like to go on Wednesday afternoon, mostly about the brownfield stuff and the MDC. I think the MDC could be a really good thing, but like everything else (including this conference!) has probably been poorly thought out and rushed into being, and will end up costly loads of money for very little return before being quietly disbanded by the next parliament. It should still be early enough in its existence to help.

But I'll be at work.

Does this count as bitching?

Edited by manxfisherman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think they’re bitching about here as pretty much everyone on here pointed out that it was a stupid idea having it on a week day and as it seems to indicate from the sign up numbers - it was a stupid idea! 

It’s a stupid idea full stop. A talking shop with no intention of actually adopting any useful suggestions. Or are Ministers and MHKs actually going to take more notice of an attendee suggestion at a networking event over a cup of tea and a Mr Kipling, as opposed to a cup of tea and a biscuit at a political surgery? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

I'd like to go on Wednesday afternoon, mostly about the brownfield stuff and the MDC. I think the MDC could be a really good thing, but like everything else (including this conference!) has probably been poorly thought out and rushed into being, and will end up costly loads of money for very little return before being quietly disbanded by the next parliament. It should still be early enough in its existence to help.

But I'll be at work.

Does this count as bitching?

Why should it? You’re entitled to an opinion! You pay taxes like most people, so you have a say.

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

It’s a stupid idea full stop. A talking shop with no intention of actually adopting any useful suggestions. Or are Ministers and MHKs actually going to take more notice of an attendee suggestion at a networking event over a cup of tea and a Mr Kipling, as opposed to a cup of tea and a biscuit at a political surgery? 

No it’s not a stupid idea full stop. I’d like to see the MDC bit as well as I think that part of the strategy might work well too. But I’m working and I have several client meetings booked in for that day. Especially as I’m playing catch up after I had a load of meetings cancelled this week due to the Queens Funeral nonsense that I’ve had to bounce into next week. 

39 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

It's scheduled when the majority of people are at work and they're worried about low registrations? So out of touch.

Well quite, and if you read the piece it's clearly aimed at younger people, who Gef see as their target audience.  But these are the very people who are least likely to be able to come along to day-long events on weekdays.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2112 said:

I wonder if IOMG are going to have suggestion boxes at the conferences? Ideal for any Minister to get acquainted with the shredding machine.

I have it on good authority that Ashford is running an after-hours*, MHK/MLC "members only" shredding workshop. 

*after-sunset 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6