IOM government conference

Banker

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well quite, and if you read the piece it's clearly aimed at younger people, who Gef see as their target audience.  But these are the very people who are least likely to be able to come along to day-long events on weekdays.

After the appalling turnout for the island plan talks last time round, what makes them think this will be a success?

If they want a younger audience, live stream on the twitch app and make it interactive.   Maybe got the nepotism guys from eSports to help others?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well quite, and if you read the piece it's clearly aimed at younger people, who Gef see as their target audience.  But these are the very people who are least likely to be able to come along to day-long events on weekdays.

Or wealthy people. I believe the break out session run by the CoC on the economic strategy (the only thing most people will be wanting to attend) is now invite only or they’re charging people to attend. No wonder few are signing up

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/isle-of-man-government-conference-2022-tickets-392361542937?aff=ebdsoporgprofile

Heres the conference structure if anyones interested.

https://www.gov.im/media/1377703/iomgovconf-programme0109.pdf

Edited by Newsdesk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Or wealthy people. I believe the break out session run by the CoC on the economic strategy (the only thing most people will be wanting to attend) is now invite only or they’re charging people to attend. No wonder few are signing up

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/isle-of-man-government-conference-2022-tickets-392361542937?aff=ebdsoporgprofile

I signed up for tickets. Since I did over 3 weeks ago other than receiving the tickets from Eventbrite I’ve received nothing. That conference plan above is interesting as I’ve had no updates on speakers who will be attending or any updates on anything. To be honest this is one of the most important events which maps out our whole future and they don’t even seem able to be arsed using their database proactively or keeping anyone in the loop about anything. You get the impression of yet another over engineered and poorly executed mess by the DfE. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, 2112 said:

I don’t know who actually dreamt up this conference, whether it was a Cannan stunt or a civil service idea, or whether it was a paid consultant idea? The island can ill afford these grandstanding and PR stunts, but that seems to be the level of CM Cannan regime. It is something that ex CM Quayle would never have dreamed of doing. 

The fact that Quayle wouldn't have done something is probably the best argument for it, and it's true he wouldn't have dreamt of anything that exposed him to public contact in this way, deference was about all he could cope with.  So Cannan, perhaps under pressure from CoMin, should be praised for making an attempt to engage with the public.  And compared to the stuff the government wastes money on every day, this is a comparatively cheap affair - it's not like the Villa is normally crammed mid-week daytime in September.

But of course it's been organised to suit the convenience of those running it and the CoC types who they hang about with and what they are really looking for is reassurance rather than feedback.  It will be full of woolly aspirations and 'visions' with absolutely no plans on how the Island gets there.  I'm not sure whether it's been organised by Cabinet Office or the DfE and both are under the control of Cannan and, effectively, Randall.  But some of the sessions may be useful for some people, especially those concerning Department that actually are supposed to do things other than produce verbiage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

I’ve noticed that Noa are providing complimentary tea, coffee and pastries. They must be IOMG preferred partner for Catering? Was the a tender exercise? I’m very surprised the Sefton was providing the catering or IOM College Catering Course Students - free food and labour? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I’ve noticed that Noa are providing complimentary tea, coffee and pastries. They must be IOMG preferred partner for Catering? Was the a tender exercise? I’m very surprised the Sefton was providing the catering or IOM College Catering Course Students - free food and labour? 

Noa is the poster boy the DfE can always rely on. It’s probably the only success story their grant scheme has and falls inline with the DfEs pretensions about what the IOM should be - wankey coffee and artisan bread for the affluent leisured CS classes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's aimed at those important voters called IOMCS as they are the ones most likely to be allowed the time off to attend. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

As far as I can tell everything seems to be free.  According to the Conference description on the first day:

08.45 - 09.45: Business Breakfast- Unpacking Conscious Capital

Join representatives from investment and banking provider, Capital International Group, on the Gallery from 8.15am on Tuesday morning for complimentary tea / coffee / juice as well as an assortment of pastries and fruit platters provided by Noa Bakehouse. From 8.30am, guests will move into the cinema to learn more about what 'Conscious Capital' means.

There's no mention of invitation or payment.  I presume CIG will be paying rather than Noa.  I also presume it will be those twee little mini-pastries and there won't be enough of them, so I'd have something before you go.

For lunch: Chamber of Commerce is facilitating a workshop during the two-day Government Conference. 

This is a fantastic opportunity for members to hear more about the draft Economic Strategy and how businesses can ensure their future prosperity and support the Island to achieve ambitious targets. The workshop will open with a talk about the Economic Strategy followed by an open floor for questions* and then, over lunch, we will be fostering moderated discussions to encourage debate around the plan. The Chief Minister, Treasury Minister, other Ministers and Senior Department for Enterprise officers will circulate between the tables and join the discussion.

Despite the reference to 'members', this seems to open to anyone (if it isn't it's going to look like the Government is giving preferential access) and is free though it does have to be booked as a separate Eventbrite event here:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/business-workshop-lunch-economic-strategy-free-tickets-418925737157?aff=ebdssbdestsearch&keep_tld=1

For Wednesday morning:

08.00 - 09.00: Fintech, Inurtech and Innovation – the Isle of Man, Your Natural Choice

This session will consider the opportunities for the Island in the Fintech and Insurtech sectors, and the work currently underway to help businesses expedite the potential of this sector. Following this, there will be opportunity to join the discussion on innovation within the Financial Services Industries, and how this could be key to the Island’s economic future.

Though, described as a Business Breakfast in the programme, it's not clear if anyone will get fed or indeed how the discussion will take place (unlike the lunch above).

For lunch the DfE are also involved:

You are invited to the Business Lunch 'Futurist Floor': Business Workshop Lunch.

Digital Isle of Man, in association with Manx Technology Group, invites you to the Business Lunch Futuristic Floor at the Government Conference on the 21st September 2022.

Join Sarah Ennett, Head of Internet of Things, Digital Isle of Man, Linda Chandler, Industry Executive, Microsoft and Joe Hughes, CEO, Manx Technology Group for the working lunch. Learn more about Smart Place strategies and join in our workshop to help shape the future of our own Smart Island plans. Tickets are limited, so register now to avoid missing out. 

Over lunch, there will be a table activity where you will have the opportunity to feedback on where you think we should concentrate our next phase of project thinking to create a Smart Isle. 

Again this has to be booked separately as a different event, but it is free:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/futuristic-floor-smart-island-working-lunch-tickets-414703247577?aff=ebdssbdestsearch&keep_tld=1

Though it's clear the main dish for lunch will be word salad.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, manxfisherman said:

I'd like to go on Wednesday afternoon, mostly about the brownfield stuff and the MDC. I think the MDC could be a really good thing, but like everything else (including this conference!) has probably been poorly thought out and rushed into being, and will end up costly loads of money for very little return before being quietly disbanded by the next parliament. It should still be early enough in its existence to help.

But I'll be at work.

Does this count as bitching?

Interestingly development of brownfield sites is one of the potential economic generators recommended by KPMG - I wonder if the MDC brief could be wider, to include borrowing from either government or commercial lenders to purchase brownfield sites & develop housing for sale to the public

An example would be the East Quay Regeneration in Peel where the Compton's Garage brownfield site sits right in the middle of the regeneration area 

16 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Interestingly development of brownfield sites is one of the potential economic generators recommended by KPMG - I wonder if the MDC brief could be wider, to include borrowing from either government or commercial lenders to purchase brownfield sites & develop housing for sale to the public

An example would be the East Quay Regeneration in Peel where the Compton's Garage brownfield site sits right in the middle of the regeneration area 

it needs to not cock up all the free land its being given first. the pace at the nurses home is glacial and much of the other big bang stuff seems to be getting bogged down in reality. Dead easy to be an extension of DFEs ideas division, completely different actually building stuff 

• Like 1