Hard times. We need id cards

Dirty Buggane

Listening to the councilor whinging about getting back to island. The border control are doing there job, making sure people have the right for entry. Was she taken and beaten with aubergines, no she was asked a few more questions and then sent on her way. Have had the same with a isle of man issued passport, never thought toget on the NMP and moan.

Whilst I agree - it does seem typical IOM that we don't issue letters or permits like the UK does - surely, it wouldn't take much to produce a letter template the same as UK Immigration to remove this issue? I can't imagine it will be the first or last time this has happened - just the first time it's happened to the wife of someone with medial access on a slow news day.

2 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Listening to the councilor whinging about getting back to island. The border control are doing there job, making sure people have the right for entry. Was she taken and beaten with aubergines, no she was asked a few more questions and then sent on her way. Have had the same with a isle of man issued passport, never thought toget on the NMP and moan.

Good for you that you like being treated like a criminal while travelling. Others prefer better treatment and also have the added understanding that this kind of thing isn’t exactly helpful when we’re trying to attract more people here. For a UK border force employee not to know how IOM entry rules work is shocking, as is the fact there is seemingly nothing in their system that would state “this passport holder is IOM resident with leave to remain”. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/calls-for-identification-permit-cards-to-be-introduced/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We pay the UK  handsomely for international relations and consular assistance. Perhaps it's time to consider other options. ROI have a stronger passport than the UK and are well represented internationally with consular services. They are also still an EU member which could provide considerable benefits to Manx travellers in their home continent.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Some people would love us to have a 'papers please' society with all the bureaucracy, bureaucrats, and red tape that would mean.

But that’s not what is being asked for.

Personally I’m totally against any requirement to carry ID. However a unified system across government departments that would allow you to prove ID with one number, if you wished, isn’t unreasonable. 

That being said and done, what Amadeus is suggesting for people in the same position as his wife Myka is a form of proof that she’s already been through the process of immigration, right to remain and residence with a host of immigration, and other, officials, and shouldn’t have to carry a sheaf of forms & documents in a folder and have to prove it every time she crosses the border. It needs a single, digitally enabled proof for her to carry.

Surely the sim is to reduce the petty bureaucracy that already exists.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Can't she just apply for citizenship/British passport?

Possibly, eventually. Given Amadeus, and she,  have been flitting too and fro between Phillipines, Athens, somewhere in the Balkans and IoM for a number of years, and Amadeus  is German himself, but with right to remain under the Brexit arrangements, there will be timing difficulties over qualification residence periods, I suspect.

29 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Perhaps she doesn't want to. 

She can but not yet. 

Anyroads, since the story went out I've been contacted by others who had the same problem, and strangely all at Manchester immigration it seems. The airport that knows how to fail on every level possible. All three people I heard of hold EU passports and every time, the border person doubted Manx paperwork. What's going on? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

She can but not yet. 

Anyroads, since the story went out I've been contacted by others who had the same problem, and strangely all at Manchester immigration it seems. The airport that knows how to fail on every level possible. All three people I heard of hold EU passports and every time, the border person doubted Manx paperwork. What's going on? 

Thanks Amadeus.  I get your point and the issue is that someone, regardless of their nationality, should be able to return to their home without a whole load of bureaucratic BS.

Nationality and residence are different things and the issue is that there should be an easy way of demonstrating the latter when travelling. 

Not everyone who decides to live somewhere other than their place of birth actually wants to apply for a foreign nationality.  In some cases, dual nationality isn't recognised by the birth country so you could lose your nationality of birth. 

Sorry to assume the thinking, but the issue, as I understand it, is not nationality as much as residence. 

• Like 1