Hard times. We need id cards

Dirty Buggane

13 hours ago, NoTailT said:

All this work to attract foreign business will falter when they start to experience these hardships. It's embarrassing and degrading for individuals, not exactly what the Manx PR Machine needs.

Precisely this. 

13 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Probably 4k to 5 k now to go through all the stages . Maybe thats the reason 

It's not. I'd happily pay 5k to get the love of my life a better passport. You still have to wait a certain number of years before you can start the process. 

Seeing her upset and in tears because some incompetent border force agent at Manchester airport was treating her, a legal resident and taxpayer of the Isle of Man, like a criminal and reduced her to tears was why I made a story out of this. The way we were treated was unacceptable. You should have seen how I went up the stairs from baggage reclaim again with 60kg of luggage to look for her after a tiring 30 hours trip, only to be confronted by an arrogant and clearly less than competent border agent who tried to justify his actions when he very well knew that he screwed up.

Manchester really is the worst airport in the UK in any respect right now. From security to immigration, I have never ever come across a more incompetent and badly organised excuse for an airfield than them, and I've been to a fair few places the world over by now. They really must do better and IOMG better light a fire under their backsides and demand better treatment for residents, especially those with LTR. I've already contacted IOM immigration to follow up. I don't want anyone else to endure the treatment we received. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Amadeus said:

It's not. I'd happily pay 5k to get the love of my life a better passport. You still have to wait a certain number of years before you can start the process. 

Seeing her upset and in tears because some incompetent border force agent at Manchester airport was treating her, a legal resident and taxpayer of the Isle of Man, like a criminal and reduced her to tears was why I made a story out of this. The way we were treated was unacceptable. You should have seen how I went up the stairs from baggage reclaim again with 60kg of luggage to look for her after a tiring 30 hours trip, only to be confronted by an arrogant and clearly less than competent border agent who tried to justify his actions when he very well knew that he screwed up.

Manchester really is the worst airport in the UK in any respect right now. From security to immigration, I have never ever come across a more incompetent and badly organised excuse for an airfield than them, and I've been to a fair few places the world over by now. They really must do better and IOMG better light a fire under their backsides and demand better treatment for residents, especially those with LTR. I've already contacted IOM immigration to follow up. I don't want anyone else to endure the treatment we received. 

unless you have other family here you'd be better off spending 5k and moving your family out of this 3rd world shithole to a first world country where such ludicrous requirements don't exist. 

• Confused 1

What if people do not want to carry an i.d. card. I can smell a referendum, "But it will not be compulsory". My arse they would not be able to help themselves. Let's go the whole hog, make them compulsory to carry at all times,  fit an rfd chip. Island this small be able to track everybody. 🤡

Edited by Dirty Buggane

This is nothing justifying id cards and all about incompetent border force staff. Amadeus and his partner shouldnt have had any issue but he clearly did. Sadly all the jobsworths arent just traffic wardens. Feel your pain Amadeus as its a rigmarole anyway when you have a international passport holder as a partner. Been there so know a little about the procedures involved not least the £££. All very wrong but thats another argument for another day .  

23 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

What if people do not want to carry an i.d. card. I can smell a referendum, "But it will not be compulsory". My arse they would not be able to help themselves. Let's go the whole hog, make them compulsory to carry at all times,  fit an rfd chip. Island this small be able to track everybody. 🤡

It's not an id card for everyone.  Effectively what is needed is a card to a British standard that consolidates all the documentation that Manx residents who aren't British citizens have to carry around at the moment and that will be recognised in the same way the UK equivalent is.

What I found worrying was the statement from the Isle of Man Immigration Service (via Manx Radio)

"The Isle of Man Immigration service does not issue the same documentation as the UK but, Under schedule 4 of the Immigration Act 1971, any residency permissions granted in the Isle of Man (or other crown dependencies) will be as if permission had been given by the UK – regardless of the format.

"We do not issue any biometric residence permits or cards.  In alignment with the UK each Crown Dependency operates their own EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). However, unlike the UK, the Crown Dependencies issue a letter confirming the individual’s EUSS status.

"Physical documents, like biometric residence cards will be slowly phased out as the UK moves towards a fully digital immigration system.  

"The Islands immigration laws and policy are closely linked with the UK to ensure that most journeys within the Common Travel Area remain free from routine immigration controls.

"As the UK service changes to digital options we will continue to work closely with our colleagues in the UK and other Crown Dependencies to ensure that we align so our documents continue to be recognised on the global stage and when crossing the UK border.

"Isle of Man Immigration would like reassure document holders that permissions granted in the Isle of Man should be accepted without issue by UK Border Force officials, regardless of the format."

The idea of the UK having a "fully digital immigration system", is pretty scary given how incompetent and oppressive their immigration systems are at the moment and how bad they are at large computer systems.  We'll probably all find ourselves deported to Uganda while every criminal in the world waltzes through the borders.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add italics
  • Like 1

It's so good that we've taken back control of our borders and can keep these legit Johnny Foreigners out by making it as difficult as possible for them, don't you think though? Coming here taking our jobs and benefits. And when we look at our blue passports there's such a sense of sovereign pride....fight them on the beaches I say. All 1000 of them a day...

I feel a dose of gammonitis coming on...

• Haha 2

On 9/4/2022 at 1:26 AM, Amadeus said:

Agree with you regarding  Manchester..Have had many friends in a situation similar to yours and it's terrible there..Worst airport in the UK in my opinion. 

Since the Isle of Man doesn't issue anything similar to what the UK does ( all you get is something similar to a entry stamp) immigration  and transit is always an issue for IOM residents who don't have British passports..

Most people in similar situations have to carry a file with all the paperwork and often will have to undergo a secondary interview at transit airports.. I have even heard of cases where they were detained while in transit at Doha / Dubai and not allowed to travel in the flight they were supposed to 

The airline usually does a manual check with UK and after a long wait they were allowed on a later flight. 

And often even if allowed to travel yhe passenger will have to fill up a form where they agree to pay any fees needed if they are denied entry into the UK.. This often means the passenger will be flagged as a risk ( for additional grilling  at arrival in the UK by border force ) 

Liverpool is much better organised and I use Liverpool if I have to get to the North West of England 

But for international transfers Gatwick or I  never thought I would ever say this but Heathrow is much better than MAN .

One issue with gatwick is that I don't think you can take a codeshare flight from IOM ( I might be wrong) but you can do that via LHR.

Edited by mad_manx

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

Agree with you regarding  Manchester..Have had many friends in a situation similar to yours and it's terrible there..Worst airport in the UK in my opinion. 

Since the Isle of Man doesn't issue anything similar to what the UK does ( all you get is something similar to a entry stamp) immigration  and transit is always an issue for IOM residents who don't have British passports..

Most people in similar situations have to carry a file with all the paperwork and often will have to undergo a secondary interview at transit airports.. I have even heard of cases where they were detained while in transit at Doha / Dubai and not allowed to travel in the flight they were supposed to 

The airline usually does a manual check with UK and after a long wait they were allowed on a later flight. 

And often even if allowed to travel yhe passenger will have to fill up a form where they agree to pay any fees needed if they are denied entry into the UK.. This often means the passenger will be flagged as a risk ( for additional grilling  at arrival in the UK by border force ) 

Liverpool is much better organised and I use Liverpool if I have to get to the North West of England 

But for international transfers Gatwick or I  never thought I would ever say this but Heathrow is much better than MAN .

One issue with gatwick is that I don't think you can take a codeshare flight from IOM ( I might be wrong) but you can do that via LHR.

I'm in foreign parts at the moment and got the third degree during part of my journey when my Manx passport wasn't recognised, despite having a valid, current ESTA for the journey. Inquisition as to my origins and reasons for travel to include being fingerprinted. Doesn't help the travel experience 🙁

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm in foreign parts at the moment and got the third degree during part of my journey when my Manx passport wasn't recognised, despite having a valid, current ESTA for the journey. Inquisition as to my origins and reasons for travel to include being fingerprinted. Doesn't help the travel experience 🙁

The US Border people love playing at god. What does rile me though is when the guards' first language clearly isn't english and they greet you in Spanish!

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

You're right, they'd probably even get the flight to Rwanda wrong.

Like most things involving the Tories and immigration it's probably all for show.  It all seems to be based on something that Patel announced in June this year, but I can't find much except on immigration lawyers websites about her speech.  The timespan (end of 2025) seems wildly optimistic and detail sketchy.   

The British government operates in such an air of unreality that it may have been designed only for the front page of the next day's Mail or enormous amounts may be being thrown at some dodgy tech companies over it for all I know.  But the immediate problem is that it gives the local office an excuse to do nothing.

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

that's foxdale for you.

• Haha 1