Liz Truss

Max Power

43 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Surprising how many wanted a GE...

I’d want one too. It’s the only logical step. It beggars belief that the Tory party are seriously talking about Bojo coming back. They clearly cannot run the country and the slate needs to be wiped clean. Don’t envy Keir Starmer coming in now though. When Blair got in in 1997 the economic cycle had just turned upwards. This time they’d be screwed. I imagine there’s quite a few Tories who would relish the opportunity of a period in opposition. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

My words, don't read the Telegraph. 

You have to admit that there are some real melons in the Labour front bench, I only wish there was a strong Labour alternative, and I'm not a hardened Conservative by the way. They have certainly made a complete hash of things but I have more confidence that they do have the depth of talent to sort this out, or at least they stand a better chance than Labour. If only they would sort themselves out! 

There aren't more melons on the Labour bench than the Conservative bench.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I’d want one too. It’s the only logical step. It beggars belief that the Tory party are seriously talking about Bojo coming back. They clearly cannot run the country and the slate needs to be wiped clean. Don’t envy Keir Starmer coming in now though. When Blair got in in 1997 the economic cycle had just turned upwards. This time they’d be screwed. I imagine there’s quite a few Tories who would relish the opportunity of a period in opposition. 

That's precisely the discussion they're having. GE now and perhaps get back in after one term in opposition. Or hang on and risk pissing people off even more and not get back in for a generation 

25 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Bozo suspects, rightly since they voted both him and Thick Lizzy into the top job, that the self-centred morons in the tory grassroots would vote for him over Sunak and Mordaunt.

Fortunately there are probably enough tory MP's who hate Bozo enough to prevent him getting 100 supportive MP's. But then we are talking chinless wonders here...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, quilp said:

YouGov poll, as of a couple of days ago...

If by chance he does get back in PK will be eating his Webley. 

Screenshot_20221020-182654~2.png

Showing your age here. The Webley was withdrawn by the early sixties. It was replaced by the Browning Hi-Power. It shared the same 9mm rimless ammunition with the peerless Sterling SMG. You only needed to fire the Sterling once to realise it was an excellent bit of kit.

So I wasn't in the least bit surprised to see it being used by the Stormtroopers in the Star Wars franchise...

Of course the Conservative party members voted for Boris. They're as detached from reality as he is.

However the tory MP's, fearful of a GE, will probably take a different view...

9 hours ago, snowman said:

That's precisely the discussion they're having. GE now and perhaps get back in after one term in opposition. Or hang on and risk pissing people off even more and not get back in for a generation 

The damage that the Tories have inflicted on the UK over the last 12 years is tantamount to mass 'domestic abuse'. They do not deserve to be re-elected, possibly ever (at least not in the foreseeable future). 

Edited by code99

I’m going to come across as a gamblerholic (I’m really not) as I keep quoting the bookie’s odds, but next leader is odds on Sunak at 4/5, BJ 2nd favourite at 13/8, with Mordaunt an outsider at 6 to 1. Which I think is a pretty good bet so I’ve had a punt. 

Go Penny - the unity candidate that the parliamentary party can agree to dislike the least!

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

Unfortunately I can't think of anyone on Labour's front bench who is:

a) Credible or

b) Competent or

c) Got a clue!

This may be because their whole purpose in life seems to be to get into power, with no idea what they will do when they get there? Sadly I believe that they would be the end of Britain as we have known it.

The Tories are incompetent and Labour are impotent. 

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

Unfortunately I can't think of anyone on Labour's front bench who is:

a) Credible or

b) Competent or

c) Got a clue!

This may be because their whole purpose in life seems to be to get into power, with no idea what they will do when they get there? Sadly I believe that they would be the end of Britain as we have known it.

Yvette Cooper

Ed Milliband

Rachel Reeves 

Jess Phillips

Angela Rayner

There's also Burnham and Khan.

But shadow ministers don't necessarily have a high profile until election time - they have no power so don't generate headlines.

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The Tories are incompetent and Labour are impotent. 

Generally speaking you’re probably right, but there are snippets of competence on the Tory side - I think most would agree Sunak is ‘competent’, even if they don’t particularly like or agree with him. As for Labour, it’s increasingly looking like Starmer will be the next PM once the Tories give up their game of pass the parcel. I think he’s pretty good too, but suspect it will be a matter of months in office before he has militant trade union dinosaurs and old-guard Labour anti-semites causing issues. 

Sunak should be the front runner as everything he foretold came true.

So if it's left to the MP's it will be him.

If it's left to the grassroots it will be Bozo. After all, the morons are still waiting for their promised brexit benefits....

51 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Generally speaking you’re probably right, but there are snippets of competence on the Tory side - I think most would agree Sunak is ‘competent’, even if they don’t particularly like or agree with him. As for Labour, it’s increasingly looking like Starmer will be the next PM once the Tories give up their game of pass the parcel. I think he’s pretty good too, but suspect it will be a matter of months in office before he has militant trade union dinosaurs and old-guard Labour anti-semites causing issues. 

Historically though Labour doesn't remove its leaders, certainly not its PM's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Historically though Labour doesn't remove its leaders, certainly not its PM's.

Historically Labour actually had some policies. 

Rather than their current remit of sitting in the background quietly disagreeing with anything the Tories do. 

Just seen that Wallace is 'leaning' towards Boris! 

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Historically Labour actually had some policies. 

Rather than their current remit of sitting in the background quietly disagreeing with anything the Tories do. 

Totally disagree with you.  This version of Labour have set out their policies and how they would be funded.

The Tory party have even taken to stealing some of those ideas and claiming them as their own 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I despair (or at least I would if I were THAT bothered by all this - for me it's more of a circus freakshow)

BJ is now joint favourite with RIshi to be next leader.  You couldn't make it up!