Liz Truss

Max Power

Unfortunately, in terms of a radical agenda, Labour no longer have Jeremy Corbyn.

They’d have been in the political wilderness post Blair/Brown for a decade, anyway. Brexit extended that.

Im hoping that the high tide of the slide to the right, hooray Henry, self interest, deregulation, libertarian, everyone for themselves, trickle down is now past and will be dead and buried for a generation. That’s what Brexit is all about, even if they dressed it up as sovereignty.

Labour in 1945 had the most radical agenda imaginable. They inherited a shattered economy. They rebuilt and changed the political landscape and consensus until 1979. Thatcher, through the 80’’s, changed the landscape again, and shifted the consensus - and Blair stuck with lots of it.

Its time for a re set. A new agenda. A new consensus. And one of the things we need is to be back in the single market. Too soon to rejoin the EU. But everyone must now realise that sovereignty and taking back control was an illusion. It used to be the bankers of Zurich, then it was the EU, now it’s the markets.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It used to be the bankers of Zurich, then it was the EU, now it’s the markets.

I'm surprised Musk hasn't added his two cents yet.  One of the few people out there that can tank the markets with a couple of taps on his phone. 

37 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Rather than their current remit of sitting in the background quietly disagreeing with anything the Tories do. 

@The PhantomHardly. The Labour Party have some promising talent. 

The overweight cigar-smoking Secretary for State for Health, known for holding drinks parties in her office well into the small hours, clearly has no intention of leading from the front...

Here is her Labour Shadow having a free and frank exchange of views with her over the dispatch box in the HoC

https://youtu.be/3XlVK_yyMjQ

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@The PhantomHardly. The Labour Party have some promising talent. 

The overweight cigar-smoking Secretary for State for Health, known for holding drinks parties in her office well into the small hours, clearly has no intention of leading from the front...

Here is her Labour Shadow having a free and frank exchange of views with her over the dispatch box in the HoC

https://youtu.be/3XlVK_yyMjQ

'Promising talent' is something you hire an apprentice with, not the leaders of Govt. 

You know it's not like APTC, the minister for health doesn't actually have to be the paragon of health?  

Although I probably have more respect for Allan Bell than the vast majority of current IOM Politicians purely after spotting him on the bench press at the gym. 

8 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

the minister for health doesn't actually have to be the paragon of health?  

Two ways of looking at this. On the one hand if the health minister is going to be telling everyone to lose weight and stop smoking it helps if they’re not overweight chain-smokers themselves. On the other, a fat smoking health minister is more likely to need care so has a real incentive to do the job well. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, wrighty said:

On the other, a fat smoking health minister is more likely to need care so has a real incentive to do the job well. 

Sadly I think we all know the unscrupulous shite would go private the second she needed anything - likely after gutting the NHS.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Two ways of looking at this. On the one hand if the health minister is going to be telling everyone to lose weight and stop smoking it helps if they’re not overweight chain-smokers themselves. On the other, a fat smoking health minister is more likely to need care so has a real incentive to do the job well. 

Does the Foreign Secretary have to be foreign?

Wallace is ex-army so that kinda works.

55 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

'Promising talent' is something you hire an apprentice with, not the leaders of Govt. 

@The Phantom

Any flimsy excuse to diss the Labour lot it would seem.

Not only that but clearly a supporter of totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Bozo Johnson. The "hero" of the vaccination program not. 

I loved the way Bozo widened the remit of the Inquiry into his appalling mismanagement of the pandemic in order to make it last for as long as possible. Bozo really has no scruples whatsoever.

Thanks to Bozo, Brexit, Partygate, Thick Lizzie etc the world already looks at the UK as a country on a downward spiral. Bozo getting back in will confirm our basket case credentials to all and sundry...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@The Phantom

Thanks to Bozo, Brexit, Partygate, Thick Lizzie etc the world already looks at the UK as a country on a downward spiral. Bozo getting back in will confirm our basket case credentials to all and sundry...

How we used to laugh at the antics of Silvio Berlusconi with his parties, Law breaking, tax evasion etc, but repeated electoral success. Italy were rightly seen as a political joke. 

That’s the UK right now, especially if BJ gets back. For one I’m in agreement with PK. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@The Phantom

Any flimsy excuse to diss the Labour lot it would seem.

Not only that but clearly a supporter of totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Bozo Johnson. The "hero" of the vaccination program not. 

I loved the way Bozo widened the remit of the Inquiry into his appalling mismanagement of the pandemic in order to make it last for as long as possible. Bozo really has no scruples whatsoever.

Hero is taking it a bit far, but yeah I actually think he is a good politician.  He’s clearly a bastard, but he’d probably be a good laugh on a night out and should politics be a popularity contest based on his personal antics or what he actually achieves whilst in office or his reputation on the global stage?  If you don’t think he’s a good politician you only need to look at the fact he is now seriously in the running for a comeback.  He clearly has skills.

The interesting thing is that you’re clearly getting wound up and apoplectic about this.   The sign of a true leftie.  Whereas I try to remain fairly stoic about it other than watching the fun unfold.  Mainly because I can’t vote either way and it truly is entertaining.   Weird thing is that the vast majority of ex Forces I know are Righties.    

What are your views on your Comrade Corbyn siding with Russia and China?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Hero is taking it a bit far, but yeah I actually think he is a good politician.  He’s clearly a bastard, but he’d probably be a good laugh on a night out and should politics be a popularity contest based on his personal antics or what he actually achieves whilst in office or his reputation on the global stage?  If you don’t think he’s a good politician you only need to look at the fact he is now seriously in the running for a comeback.  He clearly has skills.

The interesting thing is that you’re clearly getting wound up and apoplectic about this.   The sign of a true leftie.  Whereas I try to remain fairly stoic about it other than watching the fun unfold.  Mainly because I can’t vote either way and it truly is entertaining.   Weird thing is that the vast majority of ex Forces I know are Righties.    

Dear me, "wound up and apoplectic" indeed. Laughable! "A true leftie" is what exactly? More complete and utter nonsense. 

I make no secret of the fact I dress on the left making me central with a slight lean to the left but that's driven  by a social conscience.

Corbyn is no comrade of mine as I have never voted for him or his party.

I detest Bozo as not only is he totally unsuitable for high office but more he, Farage, Gove and the owners of the UK right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, lied through their teeth to deliver their totally unnecessary and completely stupid brexit and all driven by pure self-interest.

I hope they burn in hell....

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Johnson is a populist and nothing more.  What the UK needs isn't someone who would be a good laugh on a night out but a competent Statesman who has a positive reputation on the world stage.

When I answer your question on Corbyn I will revisit Johnson.

The interesting thing is that you’re clearly getting wound up and apoplectic about this.   The sign of a true leftie.  Whereas I try to remain fairly stoic about it other than watching the fun unfold. 

I don't think these labels help.  It was his own party who got rid of him as leader not a "apoplectic lefties".  Johnson simply has no morals and no conscience and is only out for himself.

Everyone should realise that.

Utterly unforgivable but he was not and is not Prime Minister. 

Returning to Johnson, has anyone seen the Russia report?   The one investigating allegations that Russia had interfered in the EU referendum?   The one that Johnson shelved with some vague excuse...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BriT said:

My lucky chance to be Liz Truss on Monday night, fingers crossed.

F96357C5-544E-4724-8B2C-5AF51BC2D9BF.jpeg

Is that index linked? Because if current inflation persists that will be worth £573 a month in today’s money in 2052. Not necessarily set for life in that case. 

22 hours ago, John Wright said:

Unfortunately, in terms of a radical agenda, Labour no longer have Jeremy Corbyn.

They’d have been in the political wilderness post Blair/Brown for a decade, anyway. Brexit extended that.

Im hoping that the high tide of the slide to the right, hooray Henry, self interest, deregulation, libertarian, everyone for themselves, trickle down is now past and will be dead and buried for a generation. That’s what Brexit is all about, even if they dressed it up as sovereignty.

Labour in 1945 had the most radical agenda imaginable. They inherited a shattered economy. They rebuilt and changed the political landscape and consensus until 1979. Thatcher, through the 80’’s, changed the landscape again, and shifted the consensus - and Blair stuck with lots of it.

Its time for a re set. A new agenda. A new consensus. And one of the things we need is to be back in the single market. Too soon to rejoin the EU. But everyone must now realise that sovereignty and taking back control was an illusion. It used to be the bankers of Zurich, then it was the EU, now it’s the markets.

I agree with that, the only difficulty is that we no longer have a political system that works. Democracy in Britain is a sham, a veneer. We are governed by the 'markets' not our politicians. I don't want Angela Rayner and David Lamy making decisions that affect my life, that's for certain! 

My feeling is that we need to create a coalition government from the best politicians currently in parliament, and draft in the best people we possibly can to sort this mess out. We are actually in a state of emergency, probably greater than Covid and Brexit, the mismanagement of which have caused the dire state we are in!