Liz Truss

Max Power

48 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I agree with that, the only difficulty is that we no longer have a political system that works. Democracy in Britain is a sham, a veneer. We are governed by the 'markets' not our politicians. I don't want Angela Rayner and David Lamy making decisions that affect my life, that's for certain! 

My feeling is that we need to create a coalition government from the best politicians currently in parliament, and draft in the best people we possibly can to sort this mess out. We are actually in a state of emergency, probably greater than Covid and Brexit, the mismanagement of which have caused the dire state we are in!  

It’s been broken for 100+ years. In only 2 elections ( 1931 + 1935 ) has the largest party, winning the majority of seats in the Commons, received 50%, or more, of the popular vote. It’s often in the low 40’s or even 30’s. Such are the vagaries of 1st past the post, where the fact of winning often reflects splits and weaknesses in the losing parties, rather than strength in the winners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I agree with that, the only difficulty is that we no longer have a political system that works. Democracy in Britain is a sham, a veneer. We are governed by the 'markets' not our politicians. I don't want Angela Rayner and David Lamy making decisions that affect my life, that's for certain! 

My feeling is that we need to create a coalition government from the best politicians currently in parliament, and draft in the best people we possibly can to sort this mess out. We are actually in a state of emergency, probably greater than Covid and Brexit, the mismanagement of which have caused the dire state we are in!  

Would you rather have Suella Braverman, Thick Lizzy, Priti Patel, Kamikwazi, Bozo (booed by the other passengers on flight BA2156 from the Dominican Republic: the UK is in a huge crisis and he's on holiday) Johnson, Therese Coffey and privileged chinless wonders ad infinitum.

As I see it our democratic system is not that good but when you get folks in power who are conscience free and in it purely for themselves you end up with a dictatorship by the majority in Parliament.

Most democracies in Europe are made up of coalitions which formations guard against extreme policies like attempts to curtail civil liberties such as the right to strike, the right to protest etc etc

Sound familiar? It should...

23 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Would you rather have Suella Braverman, Thick Lizzy, Priti Patel, Kamikwazi, Bozo (booed by the other passengers on flight BA2156 from the Dominican Republic: the UK is in a huge crisis and he's on holiday) Johnson, Therese Coffey and privileged chinless wonders ad infinitum.

As I see it our democratic system is not that good but when you get folks in power who are conscience free and in it purely for themselves you end up with a dictatorship by the majority in Parliament.

Most democracies in Europe are made up of coalitions which formations guard against extreme policies like attempts to curtail civil liberties such as the right to strike, the right to protest etc etc

Sound familiar? It should...

I didn't say that, why do you say that? I think some of the Conservative 'thickies' at least have some sort of veneer or air of respectability compared to the Labour 'thickies' but they are all still thickies! Quite frankly all of them need getting rid of, whatever party they belong to, we need to get free of the identity politics and thick headed decision making that's brought this country to its knees! 

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I didn't say that, why do you say that? I think some of the Conservative 'thickies' at least have some sort of veneer or air of respectability compared to the Labour 'thickies' but they are all still thickies! Quite frankly all of them need getting rid of, whatever party they belong to, we need to get free of the identity politics and thick headed decision making that's brought this country to its knees! 

Suella Braverman has an "air of respectability" after this: https://youtu.be/eEb7seWuHdY

Please define what you mean by "an air of respectability" that the tories have over Labour or the Lib Dems or indeed the Greens?

Personally I think you've very much let yourself down there as it has a distinct air of snobbery about it...

50 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Suella Braverman has an "air of respectability" after this: https://youtu.be/eEb7seWuHdY

Please define what you mean by "an air of respectability" that the tories have over Labour or the Lib Dems or indeed the Greens?

Personally I think you've very much let yourself down there as it has a distinct air of snobbery about it...

I think some of the Conservative 'thickies' at least have some sort of veneer or air of respectability compared to the Labour 'thickies' but they are all still thickies! 

Snobbery? Me????

Wanna fight? ;) 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

That ‘air of respectability’ is a matter of taste and opinion, of course. Regardless, they most certainly have the ‘air of hypocrisy’ to boot. Whether it is fervent Brexiteer Jacob Smug-face and his business interests based in the EU, or Priti whose parents immigrated to the UK but would have been deported if somebody with her attitude was the UK Home Office Minister at the time, or Rishi who wishes to tax poor but not billionaires like his non-dom wife, etc, etc., they all give off a potent whiff of hypocrisy.

If there is a silver lining to any of this is that the chasm between the major parties is becoming increasingly clear - if you believe in a society where ‘rules should be scrapped to enable the rich to get richer' (and to ‘screw everybody else’ in the process) then you should vote for the Tories. If not, then you should vote for the parties who advocate for social justice and also financial, legal and societal equality and fairness.

My personal preference is for Proportional Representation electoral system resulting in Labour/Lib-Dem/Green coalition. Unfortunately, a stumbling block to achieving this is Labour’s current unwillingness to recognise that Brexit has been, and will always be, an unmitigated disaster. They need to take a robust stand on reversing Brexit, what was after all, a scam gestated within the right-wing of the Tory Party and then popularised with the help even more extreme political right-wing agitators like Nigel Farage et al.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, code99 said:

That ‘air of respectability’ is a matter of taste and opinion, of course. Regardless, they most certainly have the ‘air of hypocrisy’ to boot. Whether it is fervent Brexiteer Jacob Smug-face and his business interests based in the EU, or Priti whose parents immigrated to the UK but would have been deported if somebody with her attitude was the UK Home Office Minister at the time, or Rishi who wishes to tax poor but not billionaires like his non-dom wife, etc, etc., they all give off a potent whiff of hypocrisy.

If there is a silver lining to any of this is that the chasm between the major parties is becoming increasingly clear - if you believe in a society where ‘rules should be scrapped to enable the rich to get richer' (and to ‘screw everybody else’ in the process) then you should vote for the Tories. If not, then you should vote for the parties who advocate for social justice and also financial, legal and societal equality and fairness.

My personal preference is for Proportional Representation electoral system resulting in Labour/Lib-Dem/Green coalition. Unfortunately, a stumbling block to achieving this is Labour’s current unwillingness to recognise that Brexit has been, and will always be, an unmitigated disaster. They need to take a robust stand on reversing Brexit, what was after all, a scam gestated within the right-wing of the Tory Party and then popularised with the help even more extreme political right-wing agitators like Nigel Farage et al.  

This is the whole problem, it's "either or", there's no middle ground or compromise, everything is polarised which has brought us to where we are. We need, in my opinion, the best of every cohort, not a mish mash of right wing Eton toffs or left wing reactionaries.  

And when I talk of respectability, I mean that I'd hate to think of Angela Rayner gobbing off and fixing her skirt on the international stage, we are as big a joke now as I'd like to be, I don't want us to be another USA!

Edited by Max Power

41 minutes ago, Max Power said:

This is the whole problem, it's "either or", there's no middle ground or compromise, everything is polarised which has brought us to where we are. We need, in my opinion, the best of every cohort, not a mish mash of right wing Eton toffs or left wing reactionaries.  

And when I talk of respectability, I mean that I'd hate to think of Angela Rayner gobbing off and fixing her skirt on the international stage, we are as big a joke now as I'd like to be, I don't want us to be another USA!

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. My view however is that what you posted about Angela Rayner is deplorable. 

"Fixing her skirt" is no different to BoJo's adjusting his trousers.

3 minutes ago, code99 said:

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. My view however is that what you posted about Angela Rayner is deplorable. 

"Fixing her skirt" is no different to BoJo's adjusting his trousers.

But it wouldn't have been deplorable if I'd used the Boris analogy? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

The 'fixing her skirt' story was one of many low points for the insane sections of the UK press and anyone who fell for it needs to get their shit together. Come on Max, you're better than that.

Gutter press, absolutely, but there was also a story that she’d previously boasted (in the bar) about distracting him by crossing and uncrossing her legs. Says a lot about both of them, as well as the press. 

19 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Gutter press, absolutely, but there was also a story that she’d previously boasted (in the bar) about distracting him by crossing and uncrossing her legs. Says a lot about both of them, as well as the press. 

That claim was part of the same story, offered as some kind of 'proof' that the Basic Instinct claim was true, and came from an 'unnamed conservative MP' who said she had boasted of it on the Commons terrace bar, as told to a journalist at the Mail on Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manxfisherman said:

That claim was part of the same story, offered as some kind of 'proof' that the Basic Instinct claim was true, and came from an 'unnamed conservative MP' who said she had boasted of it on the Commons terrace bar, as told to a journalist at the Mail on Sunday.

Must be true then....

Well, certainly enough "proof" for all the right wingers on here.

1 hour ago, manxfisherman said:

The 'fixing her skirt' story was one of many low points for the insane sections of the UK press and anyone who fell for it needs to get their shit together. Come on Max, you're better than that.

But this is the petty level that politics has descended to, anything at all to deflect from the total fuck up that's going on around them! The level of self awareness is pathetic!