Liz Truss

Max Power

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Certainly within a month. The grandees have to square up Sir Graham Brady and the 1922 Committee, and a couple of rule changes.

1. so she can be challenged within 12 months of being elected.

2. to raise the number of nominations required so only Sunak and Mordaunt are candidates.

Then they’ll all go and see her and leave the pistol on the table.

Then the one with fewer nominations out of those two will step aside and withdraw and there’ll be election/coronation by acclamation unopposed.

Something like that, but I don’t think you’ll need number 1. She’ll resign. 

16 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Something like that, but I don’t think you’ll need number 1. She’ll resign. 

But possibly only after there has been a rule change. I can see her resigning rather than face a no confidence vote. That requires step 1. Or Graham Brady going to see her and tell her he has received 174 ( or whatever number is for a majority ) of the dreaded letters.

There are other triggers. Johnson nominates 6 Tory MP’s to the Lords and she loses all 6 by-elections.

Hunts autumn financial statement spooks the markets.

• Like 1

I suspect that some tory MP's think it's not a good look binning off the choice of the membership....

Had to smile at the BBC interviewing tory supporters about the current farrago. One of them stated that the MP's shouldn't have got rid of totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Bozo Johnson in the first place! Thick or what...!

The interviews took place in Witney. Previous MP? One David Cameron...

28 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Maybe I'm not paying attention but does it seem that the opposition are being very quiet? Shouldn't they be standing on the tories neck? Or are they just letting them hang themselves? 

I don’t think there’s anything Labour can do to make the Tory’s position worse. They’re doing it all for themselves. Just sit tight and keep the likes of Diane Abbott under wraps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I don’t think there’s anything Labour can do to make the Tory’s position worse. They’re doing it all for themselves. Just sit tight and keep the likes of Diane Abbott under wraps. 

Now is not the time to give the tory party or the UK right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, any leverage or excuses whatsoever to keep the toe-curlingly awful Thick Lizzy and her stupid so-called "policies" anywhere other than centre stage...

59 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Maybe I'm not paying attention but does it seem that the opposition are being very quiet? Shouldn't they be standing on the tories neck? Or are they just letting them hang themselves? 

Exactly -keeping their powder dry until it is needed.

Its a shame but no-one has mentioned the possibility of some sort of coalition to resolve some of problems facing the UK across the wider political spectrum. That of course should not include Truss as she is now seen as a spent force. Either that now or a general election could be looming.

However, Hunt is an ideal replacement in that he is thought to be on the left of the right wing now and could also help advise the new NHS Minister on how to deal with the problems there as that is now surely rising to the top of the agenda, after the "economic crisis". His knowledge and experience as the Foreign Secretary should also placate some of the International critics.

The problems with Kwarteng was that he should have kept his mouth shut and not utter that famous perhaps of "there being more to come ". Deadly.

On 10/14/2022 at 8:11 PM, Apple said:

Exactly -keeping their powder dry until it is needed.

However, Hunt is an ideal replacement

That's quite the hopeful statement.  Let's face it, Labour doesn't have any powder.  They are politically impotent.  It's just that the Tories are now politically incompetent.  I think all Labour needs to do is just lurk in the background and wait. 

I'd like to see Ben Wallace step up to the line.  He's managed to keep his nose clean throughout this whole shambles (and through Boris's antics too).  But he seems to have already stated he's not interested as being PM would be too damaging to his family.  I suppose you've got to respect that too; but it is a real shame.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

That's quite the hopeful statement.  Let's face it, Labour doesn't have any powder.  They are politically impotent.  It's just that the Tories are now politically incompetent.  I think all Labour needs to do is just lurk in the background and wait. 

I'd like to see Ben Wallace step up to the line.  He's managed to keep his nose clean throughout this whole shambles (and through Boris's antics too).  But he seems to have already stated he's not interested as being PM would be too damaging to his family.  I suppose you've got to respect that too; but it is a real shame.  

If Labour have any powder is that because Gove's snorted it all?

19 hours ago, The Phantom said:

The boss of Tesco, John Allan, stated on Kuenssberg's little chat show that Labour had put forward "attractive ideas for growth" and that there was "only one team on the field" as far as he was concerned.

When the UK's largest private employer disses the tories like that then they are in real trouble...