DOI preparing for Peel chaos

Manx Bean

14 hours ago, Omobono said:

loads of parking for motor homes and vans parked there for the last 2 weeks nobody else could get a look in , just waiting for a major lifeboat call out and everyone stuck in the traffic, and there parking illegally ! size and weight limit !

They've put a height gate on Fenella now also to stop motor homes parking there and staying overnight.

However this also means you can't get in if you have a moderately tall van or 4x4 for daily use.  Or more specifically if you have Kayaks/Paddleboards on the roof unless of course you have a key (Adventurous Experiences).

Evidently it was too much trouble for the police to take a couple of minutes out of their evening to check who was obviously staying overnight there. 

• 2 months later...

There is a public meeting next Tuesday 22 November at Peels Corrin Hall relating to the Peel East Quay regeneration scheme, with Minister Thomas and his flunkies in attendance. I would be surprised if it’s not well attended. Judging how Minister Thomas behaves and handles criticism on Facebook, I can expect a full blown tantrum or arguments with dissenters. Minister Thomas doesn’t like criticism, and like ex Minister Ashford has to rebut and have the last word.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I see today someone is digging out  the parking area on the south side of Peel harbour next to the fishermen's compounds ,  someone said the area is being re enforced  so the DOI can keep the huge trailer and water retention barrier there instead of on the car park behind the House of mannanan  just what you want next to an iconic 1000 year old castle  ,    there has been so much parking lost in Peel no wonder the natives are getting restless , the present Clerk and former DTI civil servant was involved in several schemes and studies  designed to alleviate parking problems in Peel , well all I can say is where are they   ?     the DOI are killing the character of the town,  promenade  , and East Quay , with cheap look alike red sandstone paving and huge kerbs destroying many car parking spaces  ,  

they ruined Douglas promenade   wasting millions  , and now it looks like its Peel's turn  for the  out of keeping   costly     vanity projects !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 1:26 PM, The Phantom said:

They've put a height gate on Fenella now also to stop motor homes parking there and staying overnight.

However this also means you can't get in if you have a moderately tall van or 4x4 for daily use.  Or more specifically if you have Kayaks/Paddleboards on the roof unless of course you have a key (Adventurous Experiences).

Evidently it was too much trouble for the police to take a couple of minutes out of their evening to check who was obviously staying overnight there. 

That wouldn’t be the best use of time/resources.

Anything that annoys the users of 4x 4 is a good thing in my book

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

The problem seems to be that Thomas has been more than a bit brainwashed by the senior team at the DOI into believing that their ‘reputation’ (in highways especially) has been much maligned and that they aren’t really total fuckwitts who deliver disaster projects who everyone thinks is a joke. At some stage he will release that they are total fuckwitts who should not be trusted with public cash who everyone knows are a joke and change his stance. As such you have to admire his loyalty at this stage - until they inevitably let him down, completely leave him in the shit, and he gets totally burned by the experience. Like every other DOI Minister ever. 

It seems a pre-requisite nowadays for being DOI Minister is to have a similar mindset to anti-vaxxers....unable logically to join up the dots, even when presented with incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.  

• Like 1

Minister Thomas been on the NPM today, with Daffy and Charles Guard. However, he is coming across as smug, condescending and arrogant, as though he was the messiah to the problems the Isle of Man is facing. Minister Thomas claims to have been offered other roles with Government of which he says he isn’t interested, he only wants to be in charge of the DOI. He wants to rescue the DOIs reputation …………… this is somewhat comical. Does anyone seriously think the main players, contractors, and civil service are going to play ball? Will Minister Thomas actually take responsibility for failure? At the moment he is more interested in rebuttal, and picking fights with anyone who may disagree with him (as a democracy it is their right).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I am afraid all he wants to do is defend the  crass incompetent management  and wanton waste in his department   the gravy train  hurtles on and Thomas is arrogant and dismissive of the fact that the DOI spent money elsewhere than on the Horse trams  where it was approved by to be spent  Tynwald , and from the sound of things he wants to lumber local authorities with responsibilities that are clearly those of the DOI . and increase their domestic rates to pay for it , 

time these tin pot dictators were brought to book!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Minister Thomas claims to have been offered other roles with Government of which he says he isn’t interested, he only wants to be in charge of the DOI. He wants to rescue the DOIs reputation …………… this is somewhat comical. 

I don’t think he’s ever deliberately arrogant. He’s got no chance of saving their reputation though sadly and then the curse of the DOI will taint him too. It’s a shame as I think he’s highly suited to the housing side of the DOI but it’s the highways and moronic projects department that will do for him. The people still in there are absolute dangerous clowns.

• Like 5

Well, I just wish someone with the authority would see the absolute shambles that has ensued over the past twenty or so years and do something about it. The island has declined so much, the govt. had grown beyond belief, and I really despair at what has happened to our beloved island and the fact that there appears to be no-one holding the reins who can even acknowledge the mess let alone try and fix it.

The first step is recognizing the ongoing disaster and then taking steps to overcome it.

The establishment is so well entrenched though that mere mortals are impotent in the face of such a strong position.😢

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Minister Thomas been on the NPM today, with Daffy and Charles Guard. However, he is coming across as smug, condescending and arrogant, as though he was the messiah to the problems the Isle of Man is facing.

What smugger than Daffy the born again tree-hugger? I doubt it. 

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

He wants to rescue the DOIs reputation ……………

Crookall said something similar upon taking the DOI reins. His predecessors probably said the same.

All that ended well....

How much time is Messiah Thomas devoting to the Housing and Communities Board? He must devote every working and waking hour slavishly pondering over great matters of national importance. Personally I doubt the new renovated old nurses home, will be completed to time or budget. I say this as I have noticed recently a lack of activity. If the issue of housing isn’t addressed then Messiah Thomas won’t stand a chance in the next election.