Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

4 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

Allinson has at least conducted himself with some sort of dignity. Cannan has totally lost it. 

I don't think there is another two and a half years left in Alf going by that showing.  He sounded a bit unhinged and ranty at times.  The vote of no confidence that surely has to come might just be a blessing in disguise for him! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PhotoMan said:

I don't think there is another two and a half years left in Alf going by that showing.  He sounded a bit unhinged and ranty at times.  The vote of no confidence that surely has to come might just be a blessing in disguise for him! 

It’s worth everyone getting the first hour of the Podcast that’s for sure. I’m not sure how many more people there could have pointed out to Alf that there is a complete disconnect between the taxpayer and the public sector and that disconnect is getting even worse. Alf is clearly just doing what officials in Treasury have told him to do in order for government to sustain itself without having to do anything drastic like try to save money. They clearly don’t give a crap what you or me might want as long as we’re paying more to maintain them.

Alf and the Emperors New Clothes! 

Edited by Interested Reader
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

It’s worth everyone getting the first hour of the Podcast that’s for sure. I’m not sure how many more people there could have pointed out to Alf that there is a complete disconnect between the taxpayer and the public sector and that disconnect is getting even worse. Alf is clearly just doing what officials in Treasury have to,d him to do in order for government to sustain itself. They clearly don’t give a crap what you or me might want as long as we’re paying more to maintain them. 

Sounds like there might be some judicious editing prior to making the podcast available for further public consumption. 😁

What struck me was the number of occasions that they referred to their plan and that this budget was to fund their plan.

At no point did they give the impression that having made the plan they had had considered whether it was affordable or there was a cheaper or better value for money option. The sole consideration appeared simply how they were going to fund.

If I was given a clean slate to build or renovate a house for another party who was funding I might come up with a plan that resulted in a superb property with top notch fittings, gym, sauna, swimming pool etc. Having designed and planned if the costs meant my client might struggle to afford I would not simply say to them you are going to have to try and find the money from elsewhere, take out more borrowings etc I would review to see if there are changes that could be made to reduce the costs and make it more affordable and better value for money.  

Government presently give the impression that that they don’t care about the costs of the plan, whether they could make it better value for money, make it more affordable etc. All they care about is that having come up with the plan they need to ensure that others fund.

18 minutes ago, PhotoMan said:

Was Theresa cope talking about moving health to a hybrid private model?  Allanson was quick to interject!

18 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Was Theresa cope talking about moving health to a hybrid private model?  Allanson was quick to interject!

Towards the end of the broadcast Teresa Cope said that even after their increased budget, Manx Care will still not have sufficient money to pay for a full public healthcare system. She went on to say that she was open to a “hybrid model”, meaning a combination of public and private funding. As soon as she said this, Dr Allinson cut her off and said that there would be no changes to the system part-way through this Tynwald. He seems to be determined that all of the money for Manx Care will come from the public purse.

If the proposed NHS Levy was set, say, at 3% and was paid on every pound earned, then a resident earning £50k would have to pay the Treasury an additional c£1,500 annually. If people are unhappy with the temporary 2% increase in the tax rate, how would they feel about a permanent NHS Levy on all of their income/ wealth which has many times the financial impact, and no guarantees that waiting lists will actually improve? I suspect even after the hefty NHS Levy is imposed, Mr Teare will still have to continue to pay for his private health insurance, as many others will too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The main problem with areas such as the proposed is flooding caused by rainfall[1], which is rather more difficult to keep out and unpredictable

[1]  There's actually a coastal element as well and the coastline and rivers and lakes in the area have been different even in historic times.  

If it's been raining a lot and it's a big spring tide you can kayak well up the river past the garey. Building houses where proposed is dumb as shit. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

If it's been raining a lot and it's a big spring tide you can kayak well up the river past the garey. Building houses where proposed is dumb as shit. 

Don’t you think the proposed spine road and flood defences will have an impact?

If you don’t want to answer it can someone else, because I still haven’t read anything that makes me believe those who are against it or think it’s “dumb as shit” have actually read the proposals properly.  That goes for on here and on Facebook, and I include the people starting the petition as they don’t seem to understand what they are looking at either.  To be honest, their clear and total lack of understanding of how the planning process works doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in anything they say.