Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

If the health service is is partly or fully privatised, the potential one-off costs for the individual are so high that annual insurance is essential.

In what way is a partly/fully privatised health service more efficient? It is all just money.

Well, I suppose:

1. some poor people will be left to die on the street

2. some people will not be able to get insured, and will be left to die on the street

It would drive people to the UK. 

insurance would be prohibitive for me at 80 and many elderly residents.  I’m sure my family in UK would welcome that  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

It would drive people to the UK. 

insurance would be prohibitive for me at 80 and many elderly residents.  I’m sure my family in UK would welcome that  

It doesn't necessarily have to be about cost recovery... In Jersey average of 3.5 GP visits per year, compared to 7 GP visits per year in UK [2] (presumably IOM similar). So a small fee can massively change the volume of services compared with how people treat services that are free at point of access.

Whether that's appropriate and whether the reduction in GP appointments has any impact on outcomes is up for debate.

1 - https://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/focus-how-visiting-your-gp-will-look-after-9m-deal/#:~:text=There are 350%2C000 primary-care consultations a year in Jersey.

2. - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/four-in-ten-consultations-at-gp-clinics-were-with-frequent-attenders/#:~:text=All consultations by GPs per,and may even have decreased.

Edited by Mercenary
cocked it up

In reality it is already part privatised .   Quite a few of my friends have in desperation paid to have surgery done who years ago wouldn’t have dreamt of such a move and they are not wealthy people.     Most of of it has been joint replacement but other stuff as well.  When you get to a certain age two, three or more years to wait for a procedure is a good lump out of the time you may have left especially if you are in pain.   The same for dentistry I had a NHS dentist for years then he retired and I could not get sorted out so went private and most of my friends are in the same boat.    Also there are a lot of firms now that include private medical care and obviously the employees use this.   I suspect things will change and possibly people will get incentives to purchase health care much as people get their  pets covered by pet insurance the way things are going something has to give.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

He was not pulling any punches and to be fair he is correct and the more I hear of Cannan he certainly has a tendency to talk down anyone who questions him, not impressed with Alfie boy.

Nor me. I did have higher hopes from him when he became CM.

However fortunately there is someone who fits the bill. waiting in the wings. Whether they get the job through a mid term resignation,  or after the next General Election we shall see

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Small edit to second para
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nellie said:

Ms Cope was very close to saying that the current model for Healthcare is unsustainable. Not quite in those words, but she definitley gave the impression she knows that we have to look at other models, at some point.

To me, Allinson was too quick to interject and dismiss her. I don't believe that we can afford to have a Treasury Minister who has a totally closed mind on such a critical question. 

They are talking about 'eligibility criteria' for dental treatment.

Probably means encouraging people to turn to Denplan etc

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Nor me. I did have higher hopes from him when he became CM.

However fortunately there is someone who fits the bill. waiting in the wings. Whether they get the job through a mid term resignation,  or after the next General Election we shall see

FFS, don't even consider count Dracula!

2 hours ago, cissolt said:

Cope really slipped up.  Time for our politicians to be pressing this issue before Allinsons new health tax comes in and completely cripples the island.   

Was the creation of Manxcare and the mysterious lack of minutes really sowing the seeds for the privatisation of our health care system?

Had to laugh at Allinson's  remark that the increase  in income tax to 22% was temporary, and this would be replaced by  the health levy , which following its introduction , income tax would be reduced again ,   if we cut our cloth accordingly and stopped wasting money on non essentials and non jobs in government   there would be more than enough to properly fund both health and Education ,and some left over   as well  

best comments were from the EX government financial advisor John Webster who was not impressed with the budget and the way the island is heading ,

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Had to laugh at Allinson's  remark that the increase  in income tax to 22% was temporary, and this would be replaced by  the health levy , which following its introduction , income tax would be reduced again ,   if we cut our cloth accordingly and stopped wasting money on non essentials and non jobs in government   there would be more than enough to properly fund both health and Education ,and some left over   as well  

best comments were from the EX government financial advisor John Webster who was not impressed with the budget and the way the island is heading ,

John Webster had some very sensible ideas and valid criticisms.  Alf was rather rude to him, have they got a history?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FANDL said:

So let’s wait and see what Dr Allinsons NHS tax is going to yield if they think that charging people a premium to receive the most basic of services (ie, acceptable hospital, dental and other essential health treatment) is the way to go when they can’t stop incompetents going out and buying 80 odd brand new minibuses that never get used, or spending £25 million on a promenade that’s an embarrassment, or £100M on a new ferry terminal that’s at least three times over budget. 

Or that the main problem for the IOM NHS isn’t specifically underfunding but actual recruitment and retention in order to provide a baseline service. Where we can bring someone over and within two years they win over £3,000,000 in an employment tribunal for being treated like shit by some despotic lunatic who set foot in the IOM for a few days a year and largely paid UK taxes on their IOM salary. Or where we try to convict anesthetists of manslaughter because the police get a bit bored and excited; again resulting in millions being racked up to achieve nothing but ensure that nobody in that line of work ever wants to work here again. And where the Chief Minister then makes a public statement clarifying that the civil servants that allowed all of this to happen have been unfairly criticized and singled out and it’s all so unfair that people in government are made to be accountable for things. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mercenary said:

It doesn't necessarily have to be about cost recovery... In Jersey average of 3.5 GP visits per year, compared to 7 GP visits per year in UK [2] (presumably IOM similar). So a small fee can massively change the volume of services compared with how people treat services that are free at point of access.

Whether that's appropriate and whether the reduction in GP appointments has any impact on outcomes is up for debate.

1 - https://www.bailiwickexpress.com/jsy/news/focus-how-visiting-your-gp-will-look-after-9m-deal/#:~:text=There are 350%2C000 primary-care consultations a year in Jersey.

2. - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/four-in-ten-consultations-at-gp-clinics-were-with-frequent-attenders/#:~:text=All consultations by GPs per,and may even have decreased.

I think you pay a small charge to see a GP in Jersey , I could be wrong.  I would guess that an awful lot of GP appointments in the UK/IOM are actually unnecessary. Time wasted on colds , sore throats and other minor ailments that just need bed rest and not an GP intervention and unfortunate people struggling with mental health issues that GPs simply can’t help with. There is unfortunately no simple solution. If there was some bright MHK or MP would have come up with one. Having said that the responsibility for our health service lies not solely in the hands of politicians but the NHS itself. It is those who run health services that are failing us , not elected politicians. It is up to NHS management teams to use the funds they are provided with by the taxpayer to deliver what they are all paid to do. So let’s lay the blame where it should lie. 

9 hours ago, finlo said:

FFS, don't even consider count Dracula!

I do not think DA would make the grade as CM he struggled as a minister and  is unable to make decisions and lacks leadership skill's as can be clearly evidenced during the covid debacle, even as a backbencher he is no better than JM with his stupid timewasting questions to keep him in the limelight.

Edited by Beelzebub3
punctuation
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 8:26 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes but he’s so bad he’s good if you know what I mean.

Its Thursday and  Friday  mornings that I switch off when Tiley ( who is normally quite OK) does that stupid  Reynolds’ car thing with the “horse racing” nonsense. Actually having retuned on Thursday morning to another station I don’t go back to MR until Saturday afternoon when the 60’s show has finished. I would enjoy the music if that Chris ( ?) person would stick to that and stop the nonsense about Doris the tea lady, Roger the whatever. It really does insult the intelligence.

It seems to be having gone on for years now. Surely time to give it a rest

Thank you for your criticism, I hope you have a good weekend.