Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

9 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Regional accents are fine and make life in general more inclusive.   However, the main object of a News Reader is to read clearly the events that have happened or are going to happen in the last \ next 24 hours or so and it is very frustrating when you cannot make out what they are saying.   I do not know why they have so many employees at MR especially as they are always in the red financially, why cannot the presenters of the programmes read the news out.    I have never got a straight answer as to how many employees MR has actually got but I think a cull would be a good idea and it may help to balance the books.   Manx Radio started out with a handful of people and it has just got bigger but not a lot better.   Most young people regard MR as a joke, well it is an expensive one for the tax payers.   If you dispute this ask your children or grandchildren if they listen to MR.

What a load of absolute nonsense. For a start virtually every radio station anywhere will separate music presentation from news reading if it didn’t it would sound very unprofessional. Secondly take a look at the costs of running Manx Radio compared to Bbc local radio and you will see it’s actually a lot less . And it’s easy to see who works at the station the website shows all the presenters and newsroom personnel . Finally I know you don’t like listening to it but a lot of people do it provides a wide selection of programmes and current affairs!!

• Thanks 1

So IOM or a relative works for Manx Radio 🤣  as for unprofessional that is a laugh. As for comparing MR  to BBC local radio the people of the Isle of Man subsidize Manx Radio so it is only the running cost of MR that concerns me.  Finally how do you know what I listen to , please do not make assumptions.    Does the website show all the contributors to Manx Radio plus the engineers, sales team etc. ?    An actual number of paid employees would probably make your eyes water but I doubt that number will ever come to light.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So IOM or a relative works for Manx Radio 🤣  as for unprofessional that is a laugh. As for comparing MR  to BBC local radio the people of the Isle of Man subsidize Manx Radio so it is only the running cost of MR that concerns me.  Finally how do you know what I listen to , please do not make assumptions.    Does the website show all the contributors to Manx Radio plus the engineers, sales team etc. ?    An actual number of paid employees would probably make your eyes water but I doubt that number will ever come to light.

Its always so easy to go to the you or one of your family works there isn’t it ! I can assure you I nor my family do not have any connections to Manx Radio at all  . I just prefer to be more balanced in my views !!!!! You might not want it but a lot of people do and it would be a very sad day and a very big loss to the island if it ended in my view. 

38 minutes ago, IOM said:

Its always so easy to go to the you or one of your family works there isn’t it ! I can assure you I nor my family do not have any connections to Manx Radio at all  . I just prefer to be more balanced in my views !!!!! You might not want it but a lot of people do and it would be a very sad day and a very big loss to the island if it ended in my view. 

Remember the old days when there was according to manx radio staffers 'only one person' who ever had a bad word to say about Manx Radio, yes Andrew 'Fucking' Kelly who was a probably rightly disgruntled for good reason, whilst most of of us have been deeply disapointed since birth, has 'Manx' Radio ever been listenable or worth far north of a million quid a year? We used to pay a fat useless Manc fuckwit to talk to quirky and god botherers at lunch time interspersed with Ace of bass, and other shite,  despite obvious unpopularity proven by lack of diversity in callers the format continues with a slightly less odious old prick.

Edited by HiVibes
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Remember the old days when there was according to manx radio staffers 'only one person' who ever had a bad word to say about Manx Radio, yes Andrew 'Fucking' Kelly who was a probably rightly disgruntled for good reason, whilst most of of us have been deeply disapointed since birth, has 'Manx' Radio ever been listenable or worth far north of a million quid a year? We used to pay a fat useless Manc fuckwit to talk to quirky and god bothers at lunch time interspersed with Ace of bass, and other shite,  despite obvious unpopularity proven by lack of diversity in callers the format continues with a less odious prick nut an odious prick all the same.

I think you just might have had one too many

Edited by alpha-acid
spelling
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

Since Stu has gone from Mannin Line and late night show I only listen to the news headlines. An older listener OAP

Ditto, but I do listen to Andy Wint and the regular band of callers (are there any MHK potentials next time round? ) just to see what may lie underneath some of the news headlines.  He does bait people with his phrase of I wonder what you thought about this etc. I'd like to hear is own views on some items. 

10 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

You can never have a porshe too many, or do you only have one?

I do not have any at al now thanks changed it for a pick up truck and it is Porsche, just shows you really have had one now two two many

36 minutes ago, Apple said:

Ditto, but I do listen to Andy Wint and the regular band of callers (are there any MHK potentials next time round? ) just to see what may lie underneath some of the news headlines.  He does bait people with his phrase of I wonder what you thought about this etc. I'd like to hear is own views on some items. 

The less I hear of Andy Wint the better. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, IOM said:

What a load of absolute nonsense. For a start virtually every radio station anywhere will separate music presentation from news reading if it didn’t it would sound very unprofessional. Secondly take a look at the costs of running Manx Radio compared to Bbc local radio and you will see it’s actually a lot less . And it’s easy to see who works at the station the website shows all the presenters and newsroom personnel . Finally I know you don’t like listening to it but a lot of people do it provides a wide selection of programmes and current affairs!!

Actually it's quite common for music presentation and news reading to be done by the same person, though longer bulletins tend to be done by different people just because of the time to prepare them.  But generally doubling up is common enough even at national stations.

It's not easy to tell how many they employ though, either in total or in FTEs.  The website lists no less than 32 presenters plus 14 news staff (and yes there is overlap), though we know most of the presenters (at least those who aren't employed in other roles) are freelance.  And then there's sales, management and engineering staff[1].

[1]  These did all used to be listed as well, but a while back I counted them up and said how many on MF, and the backroom people then vanished off the site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually it's quite common for music presentation and news reading to be done by the same person, though longer bulletins tend to be done by different people just because of the time to prepare them.  But generally doubling up is common enough even at national stations.

It's not easy to tell how many they employ though, either in total or in FTEs.  The website lists no less than 32 presenters plus 14 news staff (and yes there is overlap), though we know most of the presenters (at least those who aren't employed in other roles) are freelance.  And then there's sales, management and engineering staff[1].

[1]  These did all used to be listed as well, but a while back I counted them up and said how many on MF, and the backroom people then vanished off the site.

I genuinely don’t know which U.K. stations you are listening to where the music presenters read the news at the top of the hour. All Bbc stations ( national and local ) have separate newsreaders Global , Bauer and even the small community stations often use Sky or Radio news hub . Perhaps you can provide an example? 

It’s also worth pointing out that the newsreader will also be compiling the news stories . 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

I wince at how bad the quality of written English is on the MR website - look at this clanger of a headline

That boat has long since sailed I 'm afraid. Correct grammar only appeals to a few nowadays. I blame America.😀