Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

On 10/3/2022 at 11:32 PM, HiVibes said:

Remember the old days when there was according to manx radio staffers 'only one person' who ever had a bad word to say about Manx Radio, yes Andrew 'Fucking' Kelly who was a probably rightly disgruntled for good reason, whilst most of of us have been deeply disapointed since birth, has 'Manx' Radio ever been listenable or worth far north of a million quid a year? We used to pay a fat useless Manc fuckwit to talk to quirky and god botherers at lunch time interspersed with Ace of bass, and other shite,  despite obvious unpopularity proven by lack of diversity in callers the format continues with a slightly less odious old prick.

Had to laugh at that!

At least you got Ace of Bass!  (😆 )

In the early 70s when I was a kid, Manx Radio seemed to be wall to wall Jim Reeves - or "the late great Jim Reeves" as the presenters insisted on calling him.

Fucking hell.  That was the definition of dire radio...

Sounds like it's got worse!

9 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Had to laugh at that!

In the early 70s when I was a kid, Manx Radio seemed to be wall to wall Jim Reeves - or "the late great Jim Reeves" as the presenters insisted on calling him.

You fogot Jim Caine's Cats and Kittens ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

You fogot Jim Caine's Cats and Kittens ...

Fucking hell - now I feel sick...

I was feeling good watching Roxy Music, Bowie, Steppenwolf, Vinegar Joe and New York Dolls on BBC4 OGWT and you've totally ruined it for me.

Ruined the whole weekend...

(I still hate Jim Reeves)

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Had to laugh at that!

There was Hever anything but the late and great Jim Reeves, as far as I can remember. 

Bonzo and Andy Wint - every flippin' day. (sigh)

I hear they have David Ashford on next. week. I wonder if Andy will be "wondering what peoples thoughts are on" .......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

its poor when Andy lets certain people monopolise  his programme , some days he should only accept callers who have not rang in before , and get some fresh input , previous presenters of the Mannin Line  have also giver certain regulars  a few weeks off , otherwise its a good healthy phone in  and I know between 12 and 1  a lot of senior people in government are listening to find out   whats happening on the Isle of Man and how the population are feeling about some issues  there are  also some who would pull the plug tomorrow if they could , 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Omobono said:

its poor when Andy lets certain people monopolise  his programme...

But does he actually allow some people to monopolise the programme, or is it that only a few people can be bothered to call in? I've wondered about this myself.

I occasionally send in a text message, and the only times they've not been read out is when I've sent it in the last 10-15 minutes of the programme. IIRC a late text was read out at least once. 

I've never rang in because I can't guarantee I wouldn't, at some point in the conversation, tell Mr Wint to feck off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I always thought Andy Wint was brave to change the format of Talking Heads in 2019 and make Mannin Line speech only. It means he's almost entirely dependent on contributors, so with nobody else on the phone and no texts to read it's inevitable that the same old voices appear every day. At least I was able to rest them occasionally and play Ace of Bass instead. An equivalent radio phone-in across would have a vast holding list of contributors, although even there you usually get some 'regulars'.

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I always thought Andy Wint was brave to change the format of Talking Heads in 2019 and make Mannin Line speech only

They have to tread a famine line I guess but the format though has become a little stale and predictable.

Needs a revamp.