Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

Just because a person has hit a certain age doesn't mean they have no value to add to a discussion..

I agree, and have never suggested otherwise.

I do find on here that some of the older posters simply refuse to accept that we don’t live like they do, and it’s infuriating.

It is absolutely a fact that older people listen to more local radio, it’s indisputable.  It’s a fact that younger people listen to less radio and that they listen in different ways.  Yet people on here refuse to accept it or even consider it.

Lots of younger people don’t carry wallets or ID, some of the older people on here simply refuse to accept that’s the case.

Some People never watch broadcast TV or use a television set to watch anything at all, again some of the older people here refuse to accept it because it’s not familiar to them.

I find the younger posters more willing to accept that not everyone lives the same life, and the older people’s reluctance or in some cases refusal to accept that the world is changing very frustrating.

Everyone of any age has value to add to a discussion, unless they refuse to consider that there might be people who live differently to them and simply brand everything they don’t agree with as made up, fantasy, or irrelevant.

Edited by CrazyDave

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I do find on here that some of the older posters simply refuse to accept that we don’t live like they do, and it’s infuriating.

It is absolutely a fact that older people listen to more local radio, it’s indisputable.  It’s a fact that younger people listen to less radio and that they listen in different ways.  Yet people on here refuse to accept it or even consider it.

Lots of younger people don’t carry wallets or ID, some of the older people on here simply refuse to accept that’s the case.

Some People never watch broadcast Tv or use a television set to watch anything at all, again some Of the older people here refuse to accept it because it’s not familiar to them.

I find the younger posters more willing to accept that not everyone lives the same life, and the older people reluctance or in some cases refusal to accept that the world I changing very frustrating.

Everyone of any age has value to add to a discussion, unless they refuse to consider that there might be people who live differently to them and simply brand everything they don’t agree with as made up, fantasy, or irrelevant.

Thank you for your detailed reply Dave.  It explains some of your reasoning and expectations.  Discussing topics is a healthy way of accessing how this may well effect all members of our fairly smaller community, it makes everyone feel included and important.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

such as?

Knowledge and experience to name but two . Many have a lot of respect for younger people and are very happy to relate to them I would suggest a lot of younger people like that . I know a lot of old people who also embrace younger people’s ideas . Maybe try thinking differently occasionally you never know what you might learn . And I repeat I am a long way from retirement age myself so sorry to disappoint if you think I am writing as an older person ! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Some People never watch broadcast TV or use a television set to watch anything at all, again some of the older people here refuse to accept it because it’s not familiar to them.

I find the younger posters more willing to accept that not everyone lives the same life, and the older people’s reluctance or in some cases refusal to accept that the world is changing very frustrating.

I'm not sure about all of that. I know people of half my age that still use cash all the time while I rarely do despite feeling a bit guilty about it. I'm only a few years from (official) retirement age but I haven't carried a wallet in over 10 years.

I agree with you about old people listening to local radio, and I'd say the older they are the more they listen. Some that now live alone just have it on "for company", although they might absolutely hate Alex Brindley's 20 favourite tracks. As for young people up to 30, a huge swathe of them don't listen to radio less. They don't listen to it at all. They're busy gaming, tiktoking, facetiming or general streaming of whatever they want to watch/listen to. The idea of listening to somebody else's idea of what you want to hear interspersed with yatter and tedious 3 minute outbreaks for ads all the time is alien to them. More and more, as time goes by, I'm coming to agree.

2 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

But not of anything relevant.

That’s your opinion which of course you are entitled to . I would suggest a lot of people think differently. I and many people think it’s really quite disrespectful and I don’t think that’s a good quality to hold . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IOM said:

That’s your opinion which of course you are entitled to . I would suggest a lot of people think differently. I and many people think it’s really quite disrespectful and I don’t think that’s a good quality to hold . 

I could not give a toss whether you think I am being respectful or not, we have a hugely disproportionate population of mostly useless old people that is holding us back, if facts upset you thats your issue.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

I could not give a toss whether you think I am being respectful or not, we have a hugely disproportionate population of mostly useless old people that is holding us back, if facts upset you thats your issue.

Utterly charming! Sorry they are not facts that is your opinion which as I said you are entitled to but there is a big difference between facts and opinions . I wish you well ! 

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'm not sure about all of that. I know people of half my age that still use cash all the time while I rarely do despite feeling a bit guilty about it. I'm only a few years from (official) retirement age but I haven't carried a wallet in over 10 years.

I agree with you about old people listening to local radio, and I'd say the older they are the more they listen. Some that now live alone just have it on "for company", although they might absolutely hate Alex Brindley's 20 favourite tracks. As for young people up to 30, a huge swathe of them don't listen to radio less. They don't listen to it at all. They're busy gaming, tiktoking, facetiming or general streaming of whatever they want to watch/listen to. The idea of listening to somebody else's idea of what you want to hear interspersed with yatter and tedious 3 minute outbreaks for ads all the time is alien to them. More and more, as time goes by, I'm coming to agree.

I used to listen to MR a few years ago.  l stopped when some of the information given was sometimes one-sided and even past it sell by date.  

No, l'm not at retirement age; l am a few years off yet.  

I do sometimes listen to BBC RADIO 4.  It’s  informative and often gives a voice to a wider selection of our society, which otherwise may be overlooked in our have-not-have world.

2 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I used to listen to MR a few years ago.  l stopped when some of the information given was sometimes one-sided and even past it sell by date.  

No, l'm not at retirement age; l am a few years off yet.  

I do sometimes listen to BBC RADIO 4.  It’s  informative and often gives a voice to a wider selection of our society, which otherwise may be overlooked in our have-not-have world.

Even as a youngster I was aware of the fact that radio 4 is the best broadcaster on the planet bar none.

Also never forget that old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, IOM said:

Utterly charming! Sorry they are not facts that is your opinion which as I said you are entitled to but there is a big difference between facts and opinions . I wish you well ! 

https://www.gov.im/media/1380987/isle-of-man-population-report-2023-updated-061123.pdf

Facts are nearly 25% of population are over 65 and that is rising, not an opinion, this is a huge problem, 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

https://www.gov.im/media/1380987/isle-of-man-population-report-2023-updated-061123.pdf

Facts are nearly 25% of population are over 65 and that is rising, not an opinion, this is a huge problem, 

And the government announce a plan to increase the population by incentivising working age people and doing the opposite for retired people in a bid to fix it, and all the oldies complain 🙄

• Confused 1