Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

Partly because of this thread, and partly because I knew traffic would be bad this morning I thought I would give local radio its chance to shine.  Live traffic updates.

Tuned into Manx Radio.  Jeez, what a load of dross.  Do people really listen to that shit every morning?

Very little in the way of traffic updates despite a few staff phoning me to say they would be late in as they were backed up at Ballacraine, Liverpool Arms and Marown.  Nothing on the radio to advise using different routes or length of delays while I was able to tolerate being tuned in.  I did learn the Pete the Painter can identify a Cher song in only three seconds though.

I also realised that I don’t need local traffic updates in 2024, because both the cars inbuilt navigation system and Google maps are constantly communicating with other vehicles on the road and giving me exact delay times and alternative routes based on actual real time traffic data.

Even more evidence that they need to adapt or die.  Even the traffic news is completely redundant.  I don’t even need to tell the car where I am going, it just tells me there is a 13 minute delay in half a mile and I might want to consider taking the next right to avoid it, even without the navigation being turned on.

Edited by CrazyDave

19 hours ago, Lilly said:

I do sometimes listen to BBC RADIO 4.  It’s  informative and often gives a voice to a wider selection of our society, which otherwise may be overlooked in our have-not-have world

Yes, indeed.   I also like a bit of BBC Radio 3 myself…

Edited by Jarndyce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

I am not complaining that it caters for old people, just that we all pay for an outdated format with shit content.  @IOM who certainly does not work for Manx Radio was trying to say it has a 'young' listnership 'cause 50 is young...  which it does not, radio is going to die with those old chuffs. 

What a confusing post . Firstly I have already confirmed I do not work in the radio industry so there is no need to repeat that. Secondly if you bothered to join the dots you will know I have written on another thread on which you also contributed that Manx Radio need to look at their output ! The bit I don’t accept and nor do quite a lot of other posters is your view that older people are a burden on society or certain groups of people are not wanted on the island .  

• Like 2

Radio stations are a peculiar relic. The thing that gets me is the parochial hospital-radio magazine programmes with quizzes - "what year was this record ?" and the like, dating back to the years before people had Google and had to rely on memory and speculation. Then non-googling multiple oldies text in with the wrong year. It's just embarrassingly awful. 

Radio probably has a niche, but it's about current events - news, traffic (as others have highlighted), culture, politics, sports events like the TT and drivetime music.

Some of the content is frankly odd, and I'm not just talking about the delivery of some of the news presenters, or conspicuously fake American accents. I can't see why there's an hour dedicated to Brass music on a national station, which must be a fairly niche audience even for the Boomers. Cheesy 60's music at prime drivetime on Saturday ?

• Confused 2

44 minutes ago, IOM said:

What a confusing post . Firstly I have already confirmed I do not work in the radio industry so there is no need to repeat that. Secondly if you bothered to join the dots you will know I have written on another thread on which you also contributed that Manx Radio need to look at their output ! The bit I don’t accept and nor do quite a lot of other posters is your view that older people are a burden on society or certain groups of people are not wanted on the island .  

A population where nearly 25% are over 65 is a very bad thing, it is a burden whether you like the phrase or not, we will never move forward and retain young people if this mess continues it is the very root of the islands problems.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, HiVibes said:

I am not complaining that it caters for old people, just that we all pay for an outdated format with shit content.  @IOM who certainly does not work for Manx Radio was trying to say it has a 'young' listnership 'cause 50 is young...  which it does not, radio is going to die with those old chuffs. 

But we all pay for all sorts of things we don't use but which are useful to society, and many of them are directed towards young people.  That's just like complaining about paying for education because your kids are grown/non-existent.  Whether Manx Radio does a good job at what it is supposed to do and whether it provides the best for the money it gets is another issue.

As for 50 being 'young', technically if you look at the potential 15+ listenership, it is.  According to the 2021 Census there were 33,856 people aged 15-49, but 37,699 aged 50 or over.  The median age will have been 51 or so.  So on a 50/50 young/old split, 50 would be young.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

A population where nearly 25% are over 65 is a very bad thing, it is a burden whether you like the phrase or not, we will never move forward and retain young people if this mess continues it is the very root of the islands problems.

I think you will find that there is in general an aging population in general it’s not only the Isle of Man because people are living longer as improvements are made to the healthcare system , environment etc I happen to think that’s a good thing. I do however think it’s fair to challenge governments to think about how they will manage this change both now and in the future .  Just as I think it’s important to find ways to provide the best opportunities for young people it should be entirely feasible to meet the needs of the young and old alike . To suggest older people hold no value in society is just in my view entirely wrong .

• Like 3

Mannin Line today.

Andy 'Witless' Wint, waffling about the European Court of Human Rights to another equally clueless caller.

1 hour ago, IOM said:

I think you will find that there is in general an aging population in general it’s not only the Isle of Man because people are living longer as improvements are made to the healthcare system , environment etc I happen to think that’s a good thing. I do however think it’s fair to challenge governments to think about how they will manage this change both now and in the future .  Just as I think it’s important to find ways to provide the best opportunities for young people it should be entirely feasible to meet the needs of the young and old alike . To suggest older people hold no value in society is just in my view entirely wrong .

I have not suggested old people have no value, but they are a large burden on infrastructure and something should be done to reduce the pressures on working young people.  Whilst the aging population is a problem everywhere, the UK population of over 65 is 18% vs nearly 25%, of course old people are far more unreasonable and get ever more right wing as they decline, so they shoudl be taken out of the electorate, just makes sense.

12 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

I have not suggested old people have no value, but they are a large burden on infrastructure and something should be done to reduce the pressures on working young people.  Whilst the aging population is a problem everywhere, the UK population of over 65 is 18% vs nearly 25%, of course old people are far more unreasonable and get ever more right wing as they decline, so they shoudl be taken out of the electorate, just makes sense.

So let me get this right your solution is to take over 65s out of the electorate ? Surely it’s the policies that are adopted which will drive the outcome you believe you want to see so maybe suggest some policy ideas ?

20 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

of course old people are far more unreasonable and get ever more right wing as they decline, so they shoudl be taken out of the electorate, just makes sense.

Ironically, an extremely right wing stance.

• Like 1