Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

18 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

I haven’t listened to ML for a while now but caught the beginning today which was genius, it was like a tenth rate Tony Hancock sketch with the accent as a bonus .   I have forgotten my glasses so will the people who are going to text do it in capitals 🤣 then Malcolm came on praising the Manxman  Phil thanked him and then apologised for his fruity language ,his words not mine, then someone else came on and said Malcolm was taking the Mick.  Phil told the listeners again he had forgotten his glasses then Howard came on rambling about not a lot.   Unfortunately I had to go out but I am guessing Quirky was waiting in the wings to make a guest appearance. And someone congratulated Phil on his wonderful Manx accent…..pure comedy gold.   I know I am easily amused but if you didn’t laugh you would cry.

I'd be totally ambivalent to the massive subsidy if they just ran Manx Radio as a comedy station, instead of claiming it's some kind of serious operation. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

I haven’t listened to ML for a while now but caught the beginning today which was genius, it was like a tenth rate Tony Hancock sketch with the accent as a bonus .   I have forgotten my glasses so will the people who are going to text do it in capitals 🤣 then Malcolm came on praising the Manxman  Phil thanked him and then apologised for his fruity language ,his words not mine, then someone else came on and said Malcolm was taking the Mick.  Phil told the listeners again he had forgotten his glasses then Howard came on rambling about not a lot.   Unfortunately I had to go out but I am guessing Quirky was waiting in the wings to make a guest appearance. And someone congratulated Phil on his wonderful Manx accent…..pure comedy gold.   I know I am easily amused but if you didn’t laugh you would cry.

I was out and about when Mannin Line came on today, and in view of all the positive reviews for Phil Gawne on here I thought I'd tune in. Glad I did. It was spectacular.

The running gag about the glasses was genius, and someone even texted in asking had he looked on his head for them. Malcolm certainly did praise the Manxman with the highest of acclaim.

"She's a fine vessel and she's only just finding her way around Manx waters." "I'm in love with her." etc,

After listening to Malcolm gushing over the new boat for a couple of minutes, PG enquires: "Have you sailed on her yet then, boy?"

"No, not yet, fella." answers Malcolm, undoing all his good work. "I just like seeing her in the harbour. Have you been on her?"

PG "No. I missed the press party, and the missus isn't so good with the sea."

Malcolm: "She hasn't got her Manx sea legs then."

PG: "She was built to stay on the Isle of Man, you see."

So the pair of them are pontificating about the boat but neither have been aboard. Driving up Bucks Road by this time, almost peeing myself.

Classic radio. I think he should go out on Radio 4. National cult status surely awaits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, woolley said:

I was out and about when Mannin Line came on today, and in view of all the positive reviews for Phil Gawne on here I thought I'd tune in. Glad I did. It was spectacular.

The running gag about the glasses was genius, and someone even texted in asking had he looked on his head for them. Malcolm certainly did praise the Manxman with the highest of acclaim.

"She's a fine vessel and she's only just finding her way around Manx waters." "I'm in love with her." etc,

After listening to Malcolm gushing over the new boat for a couple of minutes, PG enquires: "Have you sailed on her yet then, boy?"

"No, not yet, fella." answers Malcolm, undoing all his good work. "I just like seeing her in the harbour. Have you been on her?"

So the pair of them are pontificating about the boat but neither have been aboard. Driving up Bucks Road by this time, almost peeing myself.

Classic radio. I think he should go out on Radio 4. National cult status surely awaits.

Methinks that "Malcolm" may not have been a native of Marown, nice try with the fake manx accent, but not yet ready for an oscar 🤣🤣🤣

17 hours ago, woolley said:

Bet the caller had a studio quality phone service too!

While we are NOT having a whip round for a spare set of specs for Phil, can we have one for the bloke with the crap 'phone so he can call another station instead?

On 2/14/2024 at 9:43 PM, Holte End said:

I think Beth started good, but it didn't last. Alex seems to take the show as what it is,  freak side show entertainment, not worthy of being serious, and he is right too. The callers are experts in everything apart from what the phone in about.

I used to think that Beth was good, too, but lately she has become very simpering and insipid. .. .  ". .thank you sooooooooo much for calling the programme today, Julianl,David, Juan, Bonso, Howard. . .   ".. etc.

sadly the whole  of manx radio  has become incestuous  and a mouthpiece for government  and the silly  put on boy from the sticks accent of Gawne's  is awful  and  only further  shows what a waste of taxpayers money  the station has become , 

I am happy to listen to the other local stations knowing the is not a significant subvention going in every year and the news stories are not sanitised by someone connected to the chief ministers ,or cabinet office  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

the silly  put on boy from the sticks accent of Gawne's 

Having known Phil since he was at school, and knowing his father Ray, and grandad Cecil, I don't think its put on, or silly

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Gawne is one of the major architects of our reserves' demise...and the government bloat and inefficiency mess we are now in.

...and he just spouts bullplop as though he wasn't. 

Even worse, some people appear to worship his "attributes", he's a, "Good local lad" etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

some people appear to worship his "attributes"

David Byrne: “Burning Down the House” wasn't a song about arson. When I wrote the lyrics in 1982, the title phrase was a metaphor for destroying something safe that entrapped you."  Who knew?

Edited by code99

28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Even worse, some people appear to worship his "attributes", he's a, "Good local lad" etc etc.

Many did in Rushen when he reared his head to go MHK at a by-election.

A local lad with a bit of edge. A sort of southern version of Peter Karran without the box of matches and a pot of paint.

It worked well for him, until he started to get into bed with the Tynwald establishment.

Got well and truly kicked out though. By Jason Moorhouse no less!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Having known Phil since he was at school, and knowing his father Ray, and grandad Cecil, I don't think its put on, or silly

Oh come on, are you trying to say that Phil doesn't ham it up for the microphone.

Oh, and for those that don't know, "I knew his father" is a real the ultimate power card in the Isle of Man. And to know someone's grandfather is well, off the scale.