Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

Beth and Christy are good, the rest meh. I'll usually flick through MR, 3FM, R2 and R1 (fuck knows why I try R1, some form of masochism and/or reinforcing that I'm not young anymore when I pull faces in response to whatever tripe they're playing), and then resort to Spotify instead.

Unless Craig Charles is on. He can stay on the radio.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Manx Labour all the way!

Yes, I would support their efforts, they have two in and a couple of others in the pipeline, good luck to them, will it be an earthshaking change in \manx politics? Not instantaneously but it will be a start in changing the Comin  hold on MHKs just as long as the MLP do not follow the Comin throathold???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, HiVibes said:

How many stars did he give?

Don't know, but he offered to chuck some 'vintage' china in.

I am sure he is well intended, but he really cannot articulate a clear message. 

Not sure he is the best communicator on this issue, which needs clear and sympathetic explanation. 

I make no comment on the intellectual capacity to understand and act as spokesman for a very difficult review of a complex and multi-facetted problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Gef piece suggests national broadcaster continues to decline in terms of listenership and website access

What exactly is it's role as a national broadcaster - just to be there?

https://gef.im/2022/09/06/profits-down-as-subsidy-increases/?fbclid=IwAR1JbOe834MMYdBGqQ8IXfS9mOMpwXMQBhUu-99zASctVCwM5RxC96VnOvU

I sense yet another Tynwald committee on the horizon.......

That is the point, they are not catering for the older listeners who make up 99% of their audience, some of the music is dreadful, they have newsreaders that you cannot understand.  The reason it is known as the Nations Station is because the taxpayers of the Nation are stupid enough to subsidise this hospital radio, Michael Mouse shambles of a radio station.   Manx Radio was ten times better when it first started out in cramped conditions with a skeleton staff, now no one will say just how many staff they employ.  The News room is dreadful, lazy and unimaginative reporting, we all know about slow news days but they happen nearly every day with MR.  News is repeated two days later in a different form, it is rubbish.   The two breakfast presenters tell stories that have appeared in last week’s Daily Mail. Pathetic does not come close, it needs a good shake up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

That is the point, they are not catering for the older listeners who make up 99% of their audience, some of the music is dreadful, they have newsreaders that you cannot understand.  The reason it is known as the Nations Station is because the taxpayers of the Nation are stupid enough to subsidise this hospital radio, Michael Mouse shambles of a radio station.   Manx Radio was ten times better when it first started out in cramped conditions with a skeleton staff, now no one will say just how many staff they employ.  The News room is dreadful, lazy and unimaginative reporting, we all know about slow news days but they happen nearly every day with MR.  News is repeated two days later in a different form, it is rubbish.   The two breakfast presenters tell stories that have appeared in last week’s Daily Mail. Pathetic does not come close, it needs a good shake up.

Maybe build an aquarium next to the station…

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, joebean said:

I only listen to the radio in the car, even then I never tune in to MR. I quite like 3fm and my daughter always puts on Energy. What limits my listening time with either is adverts that feature impressions of Basil Fawlty or Michael Caine. These result in an immediate switching off for the rest of the journey. As I recall, Manx Radio adverts and Alex Brindley's contrived "humour" were also extremely irritating , so much so that I switched off for good. Perhaps the adverts and Brindley have improved, but I'm not inclined to risk it. Spotify has no adverts; music I can choose and no annoying waffle. 

I prefer Planet Rock myself, listening through my phone. Manx Radio sadly is annoying. I understand why people listen to either 3fm, Energyfm or the Sound, which are much better listening (but not my cup of tea).