Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

Isn't the reality that Manx Radio have been subsumed by Government. It was either 'let it go' or take them fully into Govt. Comms. That's effectively what's happened, but nobody's telling. The decision was probably finally made around the time of the Covid crisis. Any meaningful independence they once had has long gone.

• Like 1

While they still have a person on reading the news whom you have to strain to understand MR is doomed.   There are plenty of other positions in the station they could be doing but the one thing that most people tune in for is the news if you cannot get a person who can speak clearly to do this you may as well throw in the towel.

As I have said before...the government have themselves created a loss-making Manx Radio, now having to be funded by the taxpayer. This MR subvention, is simply a result of granting too many broadcasting licences. Radio advertising is an ever shrinking market and we have too many broadcasters after fewer advertisers.

One of the stations needs to go - if it was my choice it would be Energy FM. 3 licences and a major subvention to MR doesn't mean we are just supporting MR, it means we are supporting the whole industry, as otherwise the revenues taken by that third station would go to the other two stations and directly save the taxpayer from any subvention at all.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

As I have said before...the government have themselves created a loss-making Manx Radio, now having to be funded by the taxpayer. This MR subvention, is simply a result of granting too many broadcasting licences. Radio advertising is an ever shrinking market and we have too many broadcasters after fewer advertisers.

One of the stations needs to go - if it was my choice it would be Energy FM. 3 licences and a major subvention to MR doesn't mean we are just supporting MR, it means we are supporting the whole industry, as otherwise the revenues taken by that third station would go to the other two stations and directly save the taxpayer from any subvention at all.

If you did that there would be cries of unfair and Govt throwing its weight anti-competitively around in a competitive market (not for the first time).

Those other two stations exist without Govt help and presumably turn a profit. MR needs to be the one to pull its socks up rather than existing on handouts, the recent listening figures alone are evidence of that and the reluctance to reveal some salary information will always raise suspicion about what goes on up there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

If you did that there would be cries of unfair and Govt throwing its weight anti-competitively around in a competitive market (not for the first time).

Those other two stations exist without Govt help and presumably turn a profit. MR needs to be the one to pull its socks up rather than existing on handouts, the recent listening figures alone are evidence of that and the reluctance to reveal some salary information will always raise suspicion about what goes on up there.

I disagree. Whilst governments often intervene when markets fail, in the form of bailouts and other emergency measures, it's not usually a government themselves that create the failing market. By declaring MR as the public broadcaster and then issuing more licences this is precisely what the Manx Government have done.

Their duty is to protect the taxpayer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

While they still have a person on reading the news whom you have to strain to understand MR is doomed.   There are plenty of other positions in the station they could be doing but the one thing that most people tune in for is the news if you cannot get a person who can speak clearly to do this you may as well throw in the towel.

Obviously I can only speak for myself: but I have no difficulty understanding anyone reading the news in the current MR newsroom.   Whether they are “doomed”, as you suggest, depends on the percentage of listeners who agree both with your assertion and with your assessment of the reader(s).

Edited by Jarndyce
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

Obviously I can only speak for myself: but I have no difficulty understanding anyone reading the news in the current MR newsroom.   Whether they are “doomed”, as you suggest, depends on the percentage of listeners who agree both with your assertion and with your assessment of the readers.

I find that I have to "tune in" to the voice for a few seconds to understand what's being said. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I disagree. Whilst governments often intervene when markets fail, in the form of bailouts and other emergency measures, it's not usually a government themselves that create the failing market. By declaring MR as the public broadcaster and then issuing more licences this is precisely what the Manx Government have done.

Their duty is to protect the taxpayer.

If you revoked Energy's licence, Juan Turner would have a field day in publicity and exposing Govt, including his inside knowledge of what goes on.

If Govt want to protect the taxpayer then introduce a phased withdrawal of the subvention and let MR stand on its own feet and compete. Their listening figures now are a joke, it's no wonder they lose advertising revenue when it's known that fewer and fewer are listening to them.

If their "culture" programming is so important to the nation (again, look at the listening figures) then let the Phil Gawnes of this world do it on an enthusiastic philanthropic or volunteer basis, they should welcome the opportunity.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If their "culture" programming is so important to the nation (again, look at the listening figures) then let the Phil Gawnes of this world do it on an enthusiastic philanthropic or volunteer basis, they should welcome the opportunity.

+1. This.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If you revoked Energy's licence, Juan Turner would have a field day in publicity and exposing Govt, including his inside knowledge of what goes on.

If Govt want to protect the taxpayer then introduce a phased withdrawal of the subvention and let MR stand on its own feet and compete. Their listening figures now are a joke, it's no wonder they lose advertising revenue when it's known that fewer and fewer are listening to them.

Are Energy registered here now?

19 minutes ago, Omobono said:

station is definatly going to the dogs  ,cant stand Gawne and everyone I know switches off when he is on air , 

I cant stand Gawne either, but I have warmed to him slightly this week. He has made it more interesting than wint. 

Interesting discussion today. Some guy from the potential developers of the new houses in Ramsey spoke a lot of sense and quoted lots of facts which were facts and then lamented all the mis truths and speculation on social media.....then one of the gormless tossers that ring in every day started taking shite about how someone he knew In derbyshire culdnt get insurance against flooding then a random comment about Lake Rd and basically speculating wildly about the Ramsey development, clearly with no basis in fact. Then Gawne made an interesting comment. He just went quiet and then said "thank you for that" Comedy gold. 

• Thanks 1