Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

People in Laxey had a dreadful job trying to get insurance after flooding occurred on the Glen Road that is a fact and the man who is representing the building concern seemed a bit lost for an answer when he was asked why the houses were being put on stilts to combat flooding that according to him was never going to happen.   He came over to me as arrogant and went over the same points again and again.   Phil cut him off in the end because of the adverts, thankfully.    With climate change and the more intense weather fronts places are getting flooded that have never suffered from excess water before.    There must be more acceptable places to build on rather than spoil a place next to a nature reserve.    I would advise anyone considering purchasing a property here to get their insurance company’s take on it before committing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

station is definatly going to the dogs  ,cant stand Gawne and everyone I know switches off when he is on air , 

Yes but he’s so bad he’s good if you know what I mean.

Its Thursday and  Friday  mornings that I switch off when Tiley ( who is normally quite OK) does that stupid  Reynolds’ car thing with the “horse racing” nonsense. Actually having retuned on Thursday morning to another station I don’t go back to MR until Saturday afternoon when the 60’s show has finished. I would enjoy the music if that Chris ( ?) person would stick to that and stop the nonsense about Doris the tea lady, Roger the whatever. It really does insult the intelligence.

It seems to be having gone on for years now. Surely time to give it a rest

15 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

People in Laxey had a dreadful job trying to get insurance after flooding occurred on the Glen Road that is a fact and the man who is representing the building concern seemed a bit lost for an answer when he was asked why the houses were being put on stilts to combat flooding that according to him was never going to happen.   He came over to me as arrogant and went over the same points again and again.   Phil cut him off in the end because of the adverts, thankfully.    With climate change and the more intense weather fronts places are getting flooded that have never suffered from excess water before.    There must be more acceptable places to build on rather than spoil a place next to a nature reserve.    I would advise anyone considering purchasing a property here to get their insurance company’s take on it before committing.

This might be the biggest load of bollocks I have ever read on the internet, and that is really saying something 😂

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

This might be the biggest load of bollocks I have ever read on the internet, and that is really saying something 😂

It seems reasonable enough to me.

I think you need to do a point by point rebuttal.

52 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I have to agree with you. So long as a house is built at a level above the highest level the water gets to in flood there is no issue. It's actually only a small increase in level. No stilts involved. 

The best example is Tesco. It's never flooded and to the untrained eye it doesn't look elevated. It is elevated, but only by about 0.5m. that's enough to reduce the risk of it flooding many 100 fold. Also enough to make the insurance company happy. 

Some people talk some incredibly ignorant shite and ignore the people who are experts in the field. 

• Sad 1

Just listening now.

https://www.manxradio.com/radioplayer/od/items/mannin-line-22nd-february3/

Go to 26:15

The developer guy Josh is making fair enough points. Will he personally guarantee there will be no flooding problems, maybe he will.

Years ago arguments were made by "simple" locals about the Sulby "Mill Race" development. That flooded despite so many defences being built.

Ditto "Shore Road" in Kirk Michael which will be on the beach sometime not far in the distant. Maybe half a century. But that was Dandara and they can build anywhere I think.

Edited to add: Houses down near Rushen Abbey.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Some people talk some incredibly ignorant shite and ignore the people who are experts in the field. 

That's the Mannin Line's USP. 

Julian, Eddie, Howard, et al impart their shite (which they read on the internet the previous evening) to us, every day.

I've actually quite enjoyed Phil, but I do think Alex Brindley is growing in to the job. I think if he needs to be taken seriously as the Programme Director (or whatever his title is) he should give up the jolly Smashie/Nicie DJ thing and do the ML instead. 

• Like 4

Josh at no time denied the houses would be built on stilts, why would you do that if there was no possibility of flooding.   I suggest before dissing my post completely you have a chat with some of the people living on the Glen Road in Laxey and ask them about their experience with insurance claims and high premiums.    

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

he even had the cheek to say on Manx radio  Wilf didn't know what he was talking about , I would say Wilf knows more about the Ramsey area  and the Sulby river basin  than most people , 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I have to agree with you. So long as a house is built at a level above the highest level the water gets to in flood there is no issue. It's actually only a small increase in level. No stilts involved. 

The best example is Tesco. It's never flooded and to the untrained eye it doesn't look elevated. It is elevated, but only by about 0.5m. that's enough to reduce the risk of it flooding many 100 fold. Also enough to make the insurance company happy. 

Sorry, there is an issue. Houses will impede flow, exacerbating the flooding.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Plenty of brownfield sites in Ramsey but they don't want to develop those. Flood plain land is cheap and Wilf is correct. I've seen that whole area under three feet of water. A friend of mine had a swimming pool in his kitchen. If they're having to put houses on stilts that tells you everything you need to know.

• Like 2

There is a lot of information in the planning application.  The developer said that they had engaged experts in the various fields, mitigations had been included in the submission and asked that people review all the information provided rather than listen to uninformed opinions.  

I am not qualified to make a judgement either way, but if people who are qualified have considered all the information provided and have then come to a conclusion, then I would be more persuaded than by those just jumping to a conclusion.

Most of lower Douglas and the prom was previously under water and there have been no real issues there for well over a century.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

Josh at no time denied the houses would be built on stilts, why would you do that if there was no possibility of flooding.   I suggest before dissing my post completely you have a chat with some of the people living on the Glen Road in Laxey and ask them about their experience with insurance claims and high premiums.    

Who have ever seen a house built of stilts on the Isle of man. Instead of copying the feckless Howard and making broad statements that have no basis on fact, why dont you (and the feckless Howard) spend time doing some research. Have you looked at the plans? Does it mention stilts?

I reckon accross the world maybe 50% of all homes are built on flood plains. The problem is not the existence of a flood plain but the challenge of mitigating against it. In a flood plain there are areas of extreme risk (that flood regularly) and areas of low risk (that flood very infrequently). So long as your design considers what is a reasonable (probable) maximum flood level and constructs with that in mind there is no issue. Thats what the guy in the Radio was trying to explain. He was wasting his breath because people are not intelligent enough to understand this concept.

Glen Road Laxey is nothing to do with this. It was not designed and no risk assessment would have been carried out.

Here is some useful reading

https://www.ice.org.uk/news-insight/news-and-blogs/ice-blogs/the-civil-engineer-blog/how-building-houses-on-flood-plains-could-be-the-best-choice

• Thanks 1