Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

My experience is that when you block one avenue of water flow it will find another route & most probably with unintended consequences.

That is always considered when a flood inundation model is run. It would have to be a mighty housing development with no gaps between the properties to impede the flow. Once water has spilled from the river channel onto a plain the flow becomes very low. That's why floods can happen days after the peak rainfall. Its basic geography

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There is a lot of information in the planning application.  The developer said that they had engaged experts in the various fields, mitigations had been included in the submission and asked that people review all the information provided rather than listen to uninformed opinions.  

I am not qualified to make a judgement either way, but if people who are qualified have considered all the information provided and have then come to a conclusion, then I would be more persuaded than by those just jumping to a conclusion.

Most of lower Douglas and the prom was previously under water and there have been no real issues there for well over a century.

Glady. You are in the category of someone intelligent to understand that concept.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Who have ever seen a house built of stilts on the Isle of man. Instead of copying the feckless Howard and making broad statements that have no basis on fact, why dont you (and the feckless Howard) spend time doing some research. Have you looked at the plans? Does it mention stilts?

I reckon accross the world maybe 50% of all homes are built on flood plains. The problem is not the existence of a flood plain but the challenge of mitigating against it. In a flood plain there are areas of extreme risk (that flood regularly) and areas of low risk (that flood very infrequently). So long as your design considers what is a reasonable (probable) maximum flood level and constructs with that in mind there is no issue. Thats what the guy in the Radio was trying to explain. He was wasting his breath because people are not intelligent enough to understand this concept.

Glen Road Laxey is nothing to do with this. It was not designed and no risk assessment would have been carried out.

Here is some useful reading

https://www.ice.org.uk/news-insight/news-and-blogs/ice-blogs/the-civil-engineer-blog/how-building-houses-on-flood-plains-could-be-the-best-choice

Agreed.  The mention of stilts probably conjures up images of Vietnamese fishing villages built in rivers  on stilts rather than what is actually proposed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Agreed.  The mention of stilts probably conjures up images of Vietnamese fishing villages built in rivers  on stilts rather than what is actually proposed. 

Yes. More likely concrete piles which are commonly used in building construction when you want to elevate the floor level about the natural ground level

https://www.abbeypynford.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Floodsafe-Brochure.pdf

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The mention of stilts probably conjures up images of Vietnamese fishing villages built in rivers  on stilts rather than what is actually proposed

Oh, I don’t know - the “Vietnamese fishing village” design might have legs…

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes but he’s so bad he’s good if you know what I mean.

Its Thursday and  Friday  mornings that I switch off when Tiley ( who is normally quite OK) does that stupid  Reynolds’ car thing with the “horse racing” nonsense. Actually having retuned on Thursday morning to another station I don’t go back to MR until Saturday afternoon when the 60’s show has finished. I would enjoy the music if that Chris ( ?) person would stick to that and stop the nonsense about Doris the tea lady, Roger the whatever. It really does insult the intelligence.

It seems to be having gone on for years now. Surely time to give it a rest

Hey now you can't knock Tiles on the dials

*goes on killing spree*

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

There's some good info here about buying & insurance for properties on floodplains: https://www.pettyson.co.uk/about-us/our-blog/718-buying-property-floodplain-advice

All pretty common sense really.  Do your homework before you buy.  Fortunately,  for newly built properties there will be a lot of info in the planning application to assist.  Not like properties built years ago, possibly before planning approvals were required, 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Most of lower Douglas and the prom was previously under water and there have been no real issues there for well over a century.

I don't actually think most was literally under water (at least not in recent times) but it was certainly more subject to coastal flooding than it is now and a lot was a continuation of the beach, though above high tide level.  But coastal flooding is much more predictable and can be mostly prevented with sea walls and the like (though basements may still flood).  The main problem with areas such as the proposed is flooding caused by rainfall[1], which is rather more difficult to keep out and unpredictable.

What's really worrying is that once these houses have been built and some sort of direct or indirect flooding ensures, it will be the taxpayer who is expected to sort everything out with much more extensive protective works to build and maintain.

[1]  There's actually a coastal element as well and the coastline and rivers and lakes in the area have been different even in historic times.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Interested Reader said:

John Webster has just kicked Allinson and Cannans asses. 

He was not pulling any punches and to be fair he is correct and the more I hear of Cannan he certainly has a tendency to talk down anyone who questions him, not impressed with Alfie boy.

• Like 2