Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

I actually quite like Manx Radio. Their news, travel and weather reporting is far better than the other two local stations. The music they play at weekends, in particular Saturday mornings, is mainly very good. 

However, I do have several gripes. DAB is a complete waste of time, and should be scrapped by all stations. Some of the programs on MR are simply unbearable (thank god for 3FM Classic FM and Energy). Everything else generally available on FM over here is a waste of time. 

With regard to the subventions, it is mainly paid for by TV tax rebates. I would rather it went to MR than got absorbed into Liverpool docks, the prom ar CS pensions. 

37 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I actually quite like Manx Radio. Their news, travel and weather reporting is far better than the other two local stations. The music they play at weekends, in particular Saturday mornings, is mainly very good. 

However, I do have several gripes. DAB is a complete waste of time, and should be scrapped by all stations. Some of the programs on MR are simply unbearable (thank god for 3FM Classic FM and Energy). Everything else generally available on FM over here is a waste of time. 

With regard to the subventions, it is mainly paid for by TV tax rebates. I would rather it went to MR than got absorbed into Liverpool docks, the prom ar CS pensions. 

Out of interest how old are you, I am going to guess 70+

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Cambon said:

With regard to the subventions, it is mainly paid for by TV tax rebates. 

No it isn't.  That was a one-off payment some years ago, because the BBC didn't have to pay for work here which they did in the UK.  That was taken off the Government subvention that year, but every year since all the money has come from the IOM Treasury and hence taxpayers.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No it isn't.  That was a one-off payment some years ago, because the BBC didn't have to pay for work here which they did in the UK.  That was taken off the Government subvention that year, but every year since all the money has come from the IOM Treasury and hence taxpayers.

So, are you saying, we don't get anything back from BBC in lieu of lack of local radio coverage or the very poor digital coverage? I was of the understanding we received an annual subventions? 

24 minutes ago, Cambon said:

So, are you saying, we don't get anything back from BBC in lieu of lack of local radio coverage or the very poor digital coverage? I was of the understanding we received an annual subventions? 

Never have done.  The only 'payment in kind' is the BBC Local Democracy Reporter (a fairly recent development) who is based at Manx Radio, who use most of their output (though other media can as well).  It's possible there is some payment for engineering services (relating to BBC channels), though it won't be massive.

Manx Radio was already in existence when the BBC set up their local radio network, so they decided the Island didn't need one.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Never have done.  The only 'payment in kind' is the BBC Local Democracy Reporter (a fairly recent development) who is based at Manx Radio, who use most of their output (though other media can as well).  It's possible there is some payment for engineering services (relating to BBC channels), though it won't be massive.

Manx Radio was already in existence when the BBC set up their local radio network, so they decided the Island didn't need one.

I think I have just decided I don't need a TV license. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I listened to Beth today on manx radio, l thought it was well presented and fair she did a good job.  It was very telling what the public experiences of A & E mostly people unhappy with the service they had received, l also have had close family with very poor service in A&E/Nobles in which l witnessed.  I do hope someone was listening to Manx Radio today especially our own Mhks? When they come to my door asking for my vote l want to know what they actually did about all this.

Having unfortunately having to used Nobles recently it's not everywhere at the hospital,  Nobles are really providing a good service in other areas kind and compassionate nurses, l was fortunate enough to meet one such nurse on Monday, she went above and beyond to help me. 

Apologies if l have crossed over two subjects.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Do you have a link to them?

2014 was the last reference to a broadcasting committee I could see on the Tynwald Committees webpages

They're all here: https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/committee/PSB2018/Pages/default.aspx. Interestingly this committee suggested getting more money from the BBC but it was rubbished by Tynwald who had just had a glamorous presentation given to them a day or so before by Manx Radio.... Here's the motion in full and the eventual result: https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/vp/VP/2019-PP-0004.pdf#page=7 And here's the extra report and motion that came of the back of this where they ended up giving them extra cash: https://www.tynwald.org.im/business/vp/VP/2019-PP-0131.pdf#page=12

Bit of a joke really. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

One thing that’s obvious to me is Beth and Alex are so superior when doing a shift on the Mannin line to that Wint fella. 

Really.  Alex seems very anti government and determined to stir things up which seems odd since his business can’t even turn a decent profit with the benefit of a massive handout from them

• Like 1