Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

17 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I feel Derek's pain.  They didn't even interview me for Chief Constable, despite my complete lack of policing experience.

In humour there can be elements of truth, and this is / was certainly true of some Chief Officers who rose to great rank without having done much or any Police work at all. Not referring to here BTW.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, asitis said:

In humour there can be elements of truth, and this is / was certainly true of some Chief Officers who rose to great rank without having done much or any Police work at all. Not referring to here BTW.

Adjusting to reflect Isle of Man Government CEOs..

• Like 1

There was a well known saying in relation to a different police force (nowhere near here) but which is probably just as relevant....

People were "promoted into incompetence".

This may well be the case in other jobs, too. Why take on monkeys from outside when you've got enough of your own?

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 2:59 PM, monasqueen said:

There was a well known saying in relation to a different police force (nowhere near here) but which is probably just as relevant....

People were "promoted into incompetence".

This may well be the case in other jobs, too. Why take on monkeys from outside when you've got enough of your own?

That's just an example of the Peter Principle which has been widely recognised in management for decades.  It isn't just the police and it isn't just the ioM.  It's a widespread phenomenon.

Peter principle - Wikipedia

• 1 month later...

Why on earth have Manx Radio/Andy Wint got  David Ashford on the Manninline yet again?

It seems to be about once a month.

Last time I checked he’s still a backbenchers.

Do all MHKs get the same chances to appear?

1 hour ago, Brian333 said:

Why on earth have Manx Radio/Andy Wint got  David Ashford on the Manninline yet again?

It seems to be about once a month.

Last time I checked he’s still a backbenchers.

Do all MHKs get the same chances to appear?

To be fair, he is chair of the housing committee, and a report has been issued saying that there is not enough housing to achieve the master plan. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian333 said:

With the financial mess they have made - tax rises - and basically having done fook all for 3 years - I can't see many of them queuing up for the slot currently.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gladys said:

To be fair, he is chair of the housing committee, and a report has been issued saying that there is not enough housing to achieve the master plan. 

I think more relevant is the shortage of people who can afford to buy the housing currently for sale and free up housing at the less expensive end of the market. It is no good imo to keep building housing on green fields costing as a base upwards of 300k then hand wringing about FTB leaving the island or not relocating !

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, asitis said:

I think more relevant is the shortage of people who can afford to buy the housing currently for sale and free up housing at the less expensive end of the market. It is no good imo to keep building housing on green fields costing as a base upwards of 300k then hand wringing about FTB leaving the island or not relocating !

If developers acknowledged Section 13 Agreements and built 25% 'affordable housing' that would help the situation.

https://www.gov.im/media/1367733/operational-policy-on-section-13-agreements-2020-121219.pdf

Edited by Moghrey Mie

3 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

If developers acknowledged Section 13 Agreements and built 25% 'affordable housing' that would help the situation.

Not a chance. The cartel of developers, landowners, commercial landlords, estate agents and investors that effectively run this Island won't let Government turn the tap off. Too many home owners as well who keep seeing their property values rising against high inflation and low interest rates.  

• Like 2