Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

7 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Really.  Alex seems very anti government and determined to stir things up which seems odd since his business can’t even turn a decent profit with the benefit of a massive handout from them

Don't agree.

I think he does "Devil's Advocate" very well, and he is BY FAR the best Mannin Line presenter ever. (Even better than Beth, IMHO)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Really.  Alex seems very anti government and determined to stir things up which seems odd since his business can’t even turn a decent profit with the benefit of a massive handout from them

Must have government support if he is elevated to the MR board of directors

Asthehills.

Sorry I disagree, irrespective of the money manx radio receives, that shouldn’t be to buy the silence or criticism of any government shortfalls.  Presenters of that program should be highlighting and encouraging debate about what shit we are really in. 

Edited by GreyWolf
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Asthehills.

Sorry I disagree, irrespective of the money manx radio receives, that shouldn’t be to buy the silence or criticism of any government shortfalls.  Presenters of that program should be highlighting and encouraging debate about what shit we are really in. 

And, more or less any topic for Mannin Line discussion, which will generate interest, has Government (or DBC) at its heart. Health, Education, Infrastructure, Green issues, Air/sea fares, the TT etc. etc. So they are going to get a regular hammering. 

But I do agree that Alex is good on that type of show, and he might be better moving on to serious broadcasting and getting rid of his music presenting, permanently.

• Like 4

On 9/8/2022 at 6:31 PM, Nellie said:

And, more or less any topic for Mannin Line discussion, which will generate interest, has Government (or DBC) at its heart. Health, Education, Infrastructure, Green issues, Air/sea fares, the TT etc. etc. So they are going to get a regular hammering. 

But I do agree that Alex is good on that type of show, and he might be better moving on to serious broadcasting and getting rid of his music presenting, permanently.

Or we could just close down Manx Radio and save a million quid.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 6:31 PM, Nellie said:

I’m not so sure. All he reminds me of when he tries to be serious on those types of shows is Alan Partridge. He has done a good job of late but I’m always expecting some sort of accidental Partridge incident to happen. 

14 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Or we could just close down Manx Radio and save a million quid.

I no longer have a dog in this fight but still believe that closing Manx Radio down (or turning it into another automated jukebox) would be a bad move. It has the broadest remit of any local station and caters to minorities in a way that a purely commercial station couldn't justify, the cost is modest compared with (say) BBC Radio Jersey, it is NOT controlled by Government, albeit IOMG is the source of most 'news' stories (see Paul Moulton's excellent IOMTV channel to compare).

I think the 2019 programming changes were a mistake as MR is never going to appeal to a young audience (you need to grow into it) and the output has dumbed down since the era of greats like David Callister et al. But that's partly a societal thing - most listeners wants bite-sized junk food rather than proper meals. Saving a million quid a year will benefit nobody in cash terms but will be another loss of something that makes the IOM unique.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I no longer have a dog in this fight but still believe that closing Manx Radio down (or turning it into another automated jukebox) would be a bad move. It has the broadest remit of any local station and caters to minorities in a way that a purely commercial station couldn't justify, the cost is modest compared with (say) BBC Radio Jersey, it is NOT controlled by Government, albeit IOMG is the source of most 'news' stories (see Paul Moulton's excellent IOMTV channel to compare).

I think the 2019 programming changes were a mistake as MR is never going to appeal to a young audience (you need to grow into it) and the output has dumbed down since the era of greats like David Callister et al. But that's partly a societal thing - most listeners wants bite-sized junk food rather than proper meals. Saving a million quid a year will benefit nobody in cash terms but will be another loss of something that makes the IOM unique.

Rubbish.

If it closed tomorrow then a few oldies would complain but after a few weeks nobody would even notice.

Local radio full stop probably won’t exist in ten years anyway so the soon we stop funding MR the better 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Saving the odd million quid here & there would please the GMP muchly

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Nothing particularly wrong with Manx Radio but there are local radio stations all over the planet so I don’t know why Manx Radio adds to uniqueness. And there are lots of places all over the planet that are unique unless you think IOM is more unique than anywhere else. I suppose it depends in one’s definition of uniqueness. Somewhere stuck in 1950’s Britain for you probably. And as an MHK you do have a dog in the fight - don’t you vote for the subvention every year? Maybe MHK’s don’t but then I’ve never figured out what they actually do anyway apart from earn a good wedge post retirement age.

4 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

But the prospect of it makes Mel Smith look rather glum.

02D3D4AC-EB76-4E99-AD42-C5CF04D3CD01.jpeg

In fairness I think Bill has done an excellent job holding it all together ,  we know the control freaks in the cabinet office  are  hell bent on restricting news stories , the courts  are no longer covered in case someone  mentions the increase in crime particularly  drugs and dealing ,  the passing of GDPR legislation  has severely effected  all forms of news outlets , we have become Manx mushrooms ,kept in the dark and fed on bull shit , but I do think Mr Mummery does try to fight back on occasion ,and he remains one of the most philanthropic  ,and hard working people in the business sector ,

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1