Manx Radio

SleepyJoe

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, it's the Met Office chap.  Lots of complaints at first, but he still gives the forecast and he is understandable, but has an accent. 

Yes, Glad - but Colin is employed by the DOI as a meteorologist, part of whose duties, is to read the occasional live weather forecast on MR.

Chanelle is employed by MR as a Multimedia Journalist/Newsreader.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, it's the Met Office chap.  Lots of complaints at first, but he still gives the forecast and he is understandable, but has an accent. 

Which makes him very different to the lady reading the news.

He was/understandable and English is his first language.

She simply shouldn’t be on the radio but in 2022 I doubt they can get rid of her for being unable to read English clearly.

Its madness.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

She simply shouldn’t be on the radio but in 2022 I doubt they can get rid of her for being unable to read English clearly.

Its madness.

It is clear, but just has an unfamiliar emphasis in how she pronounces words.  

I suspect people hear an odd accent and then mentally switch off,  she does read clearly with less of an accent than many regional accents. 

It's things like pronouncing 'war' like 'wally' but without the Ls and Y.  Hardly unintelligible, except to those who have decided it is unintelligible.  

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Its madness.

Well my Dad can understand her perfectly well and he has a hearing impediment. I think you should be a bit more understanding and posting comments like the above is totally unacceptable in my view . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, IOM said:

Well my Dad can understand her perfectly well and he has a hearing impediment. I think you should be a bit more understanding and posting comments like the above is totally unacceptable in my view . 

Fair enough.  That is your opinion.

A lot of people can’t understand her, including all of the older members of my family and anecdotally many of their friends.

I very rarely listen to local radio but if I do and she is in then I have to actually concentrate to make out what she is saying rather than just hearing it.  As Gladys said, maybe I am guilty of “lazy listening “ but to be honest when I am driving I would rather be focused on the road and able to listen without making a conscious effort to understand what is being said

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Fair enough.  That is your opinion.

A lot of people can’t understand her, including all of the older members of my family and anecdotally many of their friends.

I very rarely listen to local radio but if I do and she is in then I have to actually concentrate to make out what she is saying rather than just hearing it.  As Gladys said, maybe I am guilty of “lazy listening “ but to be honest when I am driving I would rather be focused on the road and able to listen without making a conscious effort to understand what is being said

Yes it is my opinion and of course you are entitled to your view . But bear in mind this is a social media forum read by many people the latter part of your previous post is a total disgrace. 

• Haha 2

What absolute rubbish…lazy listening…when did you dream that one up.   She is very difficult to understand and certainly not qualified to be a News Reader whoever gave her the job should be fired.   Having said that she is probably a very hardworking, intelligent person and could be very successful doing lots of things…but not reading the news.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1