Lord of Mann

0bserver

10 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Fully agree. I honestly can’t believe how stupid I think the brewery are being over this. Its really pissed me off not being able to go out tonight to my local. Hopefully the Rovers is busy later. 

Totally agree, self defeating and the bad for the staff who no doubt will be forced to take time off for no pay? I’m sure they are not the most handsomely well paid staff on the island? 

• Like 1

Let's hope our "progressive" politicians use this golden opportunity to consign the completely pointless and extremely costly position of "Lord of Man" to the history books where it belongs.

It's just complete madness as a 21st century democracy to continue with such completely unnecessary opulence at a time when many residents are choosing between heating and eating and foodbank use is on the rise.

We're constantly reminded by our rulers that we're not a state, are not recognised under international law, have no say in many international decisions that profoundly affect us, so why then do we need a head of state? And if we really do, is it appropriate in a 21st century democracy for them to be chosen by an accident of birth, or for them to be from elsewhere - apparently needing us to appoint and house at great cost a representative, as they have so little interest in the place they only bother visiting  a couple of times a century.

Let's hope a more objective and progressive approach can be taken with the passing of this nice lady.

• Like 3

She was a figurehead who represented everything Britain wanted ‘others’ to think of Britain, even though the extravagant ‘pomp and ceremony’ of state occasions was completely detached from domestic realities of general public. Most of her subjects never knew the person behind the waving glove, but that glove signified whatever qualities and characteristics they wanted her to have. As the Supreme Governor of the Church of England, what she personally believed did not seem to matter. When she ritually read the ‘Queen’s Speech’, which was prepared for her by the government of the day, who can say what she personally thought of same-sex marriage, or the Poll Tax riots, or the ‘Troubles’, or the miners’ strikes, or the war in Iraq, or the Windrush scandal, or Brexit, etc – any seminal events in British history? In public she gave the same enigmatic smile whether she was greeting Nelson Mandela or Donald Trump. We can only guess what she said in private. The truth is that we will probably never know who Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor really was, but she added ‘credibility’ to the UK’s system of Government.

Her seven decades on the throne spans the entirety of the modern age, and she commanded universal respect and deference. Throughout these decades, she brilliantly played a role of the Head of State (with all the gruelling public duties this role entailed) by remaining a national symbol of stability and continuity. It is a legacy that anyone, let alone King Charles III, will struggle to match. Where he often wore his heart on his sleve, and expressed his personal opinions and thoughts, the Queen Elizabeth II held back her personal views. Unsurprisingly, many people are genuinely upset by her passing, some will feel a bit lost and they may even feel a little frightened about what the future may bring without her. Remarkably though, her foremost triumph (and what she would have wanted) will be if Charles reigns with equal aplomb and predictability before passing the baton to the next generation i.e., the ultimate goal that ensures that ‘The Firm’ can go on and on forever. However, not everybody in Britain is particularly comfortable with the whole idea of an old monarchy in a modern age. Time will tell if we are going to witness a change of mood against the monarchy, a move towards a more ‘egalitarian society/ Republic’ or not. With swelling UK public debts, the question of whether the Royals are still ‘value for money’ will likely crop up again with ever greater rapidity and bite. After all, even the new PM, Liz Truss, was once in favour of abolishing ‘The Firm’.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I see DA is first up with his personal recollections about the Queen on Manx Radio, not Alf. Ah well.

We have now lost a positive and strong moral compass, who did at most time epitomise fairness and justice. Who will represent that in future concerns me. King Charle has been steeped controversy already this year. Ah well.

Are these two comments linked somehow ?

9 minutes ago, Apple said:

I see DA is first up with his personal recollections about the Queen on Manx Radio, not Alf. Ah well.

We have now lost a positive and strong moral compass, who did at most time epitomise fairness and justice. Who will represent that in future concerns me. King Charle has been steeped controversy already this year. Ah well.

And where is the message  of condolence from our President of Tynwald , while everyone else appears to be doing their own thing , ?or has he gone on a world tour? and forgotten to take his phone 

12 minutes ago, Apple said:

Don’t worry Rob is returning early from his Baltic cruise to pay his respect , not sure why!

• Like 1