Lord of Mann

0bserver

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

And where is the message  of condolence from our President of Tynwald , while everyone else appears to be doing their own thing , ?or has he gone on a world tour? and forgotten to take his phone 

Joint statement from Skelly and Watterson issued last night.  It's also in the round-up of condolences that's the 'pinned' news item on Manx Radio.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

This is going to turn into a week long event, isn't it.  

I'm torn.  I know she was the Queen and it's very sad but isn't there also a case for us ordinary people to just get on with life as we know it? Is there a wish to return to those days of wailing about the death of Diana? Personally I think the last thing British people need to be doing right now is wallowing about something else that's sad.

The difference is that this one has been planned for and rehearsed for decades, whereas Diana's was not. 

Flags at half mast, day off for state funeral - that should be about it in my view.  Can't understand the pubs shutting, estate agents knocking off, postal workers not knocking off etc.  I bet flower sellers outside Buck House won't be taking the day off.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

This is going to turn into a week long event, isn't it.  

I'm torn.  I know she was the Queen and it's very sad but isn't there also a case for us ordinary people to just get on with life as we know it? Is there a wish to return to those days of wailing about the death of Diana? Personally I think the last thing British people need to be doing right now is wallowing about something else that's sad.

A week? 10 days at least. Then a coronation ( stripped back due to austerity ), then an investiture. And we’ve only just got over a jubilee!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Flowers even being laid outside the British Embassy in Moscow and we are literally in a proxy war with them.

Remarkable. 

If the UK isn’t careful it may be in a full blown boots on the ground war, it risks getting dragged in at some point. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

A week? 10 days at least. Then a coronation ( stripped back due to austerity ), then an investiture. And we’ve only just got over a jubilee!

I think the coronation will probably be next June, so expect long bank holiday over TT.

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The difference is that this one has been planned for and rehearsed for decades, whereas Diana's was not. 

Flags at half mast, day off for state funeral - that should be about it in my view.  Can't understand the pubs shutting, estate agents knocking off, postal workers not knocking off etc.  I bet flower sellers outside Buck House won't be taking the day off.

Some shops and travel agents have shut today over in IOM

Just now, When Skies are Grey V2 said:

Its an odd thing this national mourning!

We’ve still got the coronation of that useless big-eared clown Charles III to look forward to yet. And William’s investiture as well as the funeral. Another few months off at least. It’s pathetic. 

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

If the UK isn’t careful it may be in a full blown boots on the ground war, it risks getting dragged in at some point. 

Initially this was definitely possible.  However it looks like Putin is on the back foot now.  Assuming it just stays as Russia in Ukraine (no one else joins or no other countries have a 'special military operation') I think that risk is diminishing significantly. 

I am still storing a load of tinned goods however... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Initially this was definitely possible.  However it looks like Putin is on the back foot now.  Assuming it just stays as Russia in Ukraine (no one else joins or no other countries have a 'special military operation') I think that risk is diminishing significantly. 

I am still storing a load of tinned goods however... 

It’s impossible to predict, but it only takes one move from either Russia or NATO countries and allies, to cause actions which will ratchet up tensions.