Lord of Mann

0bserver

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I think the coronation will probably be next June, so expect long bank holiday over TT.

Dunno. It’s been a moving feast for 420 years

25 July

2 February

23 April

23 April

11 April

23 April

20 October 

22 September

19 July

8 September 

28 July

9 August

22 June

12 May

2 June

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Initially this was definitely possible.  However it looks like Putin is on the back foot now.  Assuming it just stays as Russia in Ukraine (no one else joins or no other countries have a 'special military operation') I think that risk is diminishing significantly. 

I am still storing a load of tinned goods however... 

Have you got the doors off for your little Government recommended shelter?
image.jpeg.65d7c4ea82db3c1273464f46a5287901.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Have you got the doors off for your little Government recommended shelter?
image.jpeg.65d7c4ea82db3c1273464f46a5287901.jpeg

Lets just say I'm suitably prepared.... 

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s impossible to predict, but it only takes one move from either Russia or NATO countries and allies, to cause actions which will ratchet up tensions. 

Don't forget China & Taiwan too.  We're genuinely one bad decision from nuclear war. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Dunno. It’s been a moving feast for 420 years

25 July

2 February

23 April

23 April

11 April

23 April

20 October 

22 September

19 July

8 September 

28 July

9 August

22 June

12 May

2 June

The late QE2 was crowned 18 months after her accession to the crown.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Lets just say I'm suitably prepared.... 

Don't forget China & Taiwan too.  We're genuinely one bad decision from nuclear war. 

Having watched Threads, and having a moderate fascination in the area, I'm not sure I'd want to survive a nuclear war.

But I agree, we flirt with escalation far too often.

15 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

This is going to turn into a week long event, isn't it.  

I'm torn.  I know she was the Queen and it's very sad but isn't there also a case for us ordinary people to just get on with life as we know it? Is there a wish to return to those days of wailing about the death of Diana? Personally I think the last thing British people need to be doing right now is wallowing about something else that's sad.

I wonder what "life as we know it" might be if everyone took a more blasé attitude towards the death of our Monarch?

Just now, Gladys said:

Latest announcement from Buck House or UK Govt is that there is no need for businesses to close in mourning  So there you have it. 

In 1952 the last time a death of a monarch, times were different, times have changed, so it’s right and proper that shops remain open. 

• Like 3

Just now, Roxanne said:

As Wrighty said, flags at half mast, a funeral on TV.

What would be your preferred option?

Yes indeed, it can be done and dusted in a day. Especially in this digital age.

My preferred option would be more-or-less what our society is doing just now. Not ideal, as I miss a fucking football match on the telly, but then I suddenly realise it's not all about me.

35 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

He mentions it in his post, it's all part of the protocol for a Tynwald session. I imagine they will want all MHKS when the funeral is taking place

I thought I'd look to see what happened last time, when George VI died at 7:30 on 5 February 1952.  Tynwald didn't actually meet till a week later in St Johns.  So Rob probably would have had time to finish his cruise.

In 1952, they had a service in the Royal Chapel and then processed over to Tynwald Hill for the proclamation of the Queen and then back to the church for "administering of the oath of allegiance to the members of the Legislature and to holders of office under the Crown".

They then passed a "Resolution of Loyalty and Condolence" and a "Resolution of Sympathy with the Queen Mother".  The members of the Legislature then signed the Proclamation and the Addresses to the Queen and Queen Mother.

Unfortunately a week later, when Tynwald met for normal business:

The Governor [who then presided over Tynwald]: I have to submit the following Bills for signature:— The Dealers in Old Metal Bill, the Married Persons Protection Bill, and the Agricultural Wages Bill, and, in addition to these, I have circulated another copy of the address to Queen Elizabeth II, and I would ask members to sign it anew. I regret to say that the original copy was blotted so badly on the front page, it was impossible to forward it, so I am circulating another copy, and I shall be grateful if hon. members will sign it.'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

I have circulated another copy of the address to Queen Elizabeth II, and I would ask members to sign it anew. I regret to say that the original copy was blotted so badly on the front page, it was impossible to forward it, so I am circulating another copy, and I shall be grateful if hon. members will sign it.'

And Tynwald has been happily and continually blotting it’s copybook ever since. 

• Like 1