Lord of Mann

0bserver

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

No ofence mate, but do you really think your shed fun of tins is going to save you?

Rox, that is the first line of a statement that oxymoronically is intended to offend. 

No, my shed load of tins won't save me.  It will help though, along with many other preparations and items.  Most of it however is not just prepper paranoia, it's basic stuff that most people should have that would certainly help you in any natural or manmade disaster (or even just the boat not sailing for a few days), or anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors adventuring should have to hand anyway.  You've got to able to help yourself nowadays, not rely on anyone to rescue you from anything. 

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Parliamentarians and the like have to follow protocol, I understand and accept that. Despite living in the digital age tradition must still be followed, but for the rest of us, I'd expect us all to be back at work on Monday.

I'm sure you do.

But The Queen has been an absolute constant in all our lives, most of us from day 1. Her role and all that goes with it has ensured that we have the sort of lives that our society has offered us.

As an example for illustration, some hard-arsed drunk down the pub might be able to accept and appreciate in a few pints just what this all means to their life. Probably not much. "Another pint please barman."

But for the vast majority of people, it takes a while longer for it all to start to sink in.

Or not maybe - but those more uncaring people, thankfully, have little influence on our society and our lives.

Is the best way I can say it just now

54 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I am still storing a load of tinned goods however... 

I'm still trying to get through my covid lockdown supplies. Getting a bit sick of beans and breakfast in a tin though.

I wonder if Richard Madeley still has his millennium meltdown stores? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

So, I ask again, what would be your preferred protocol.

8 minutes ago, AOR said:

So I reply again - more-or-less what is happening.

I think it’s a bit like religion, I don’t mind what anyone does to mark the passing of QEII, or what they believe in; as long as it’s not in my face/rammed down my throat/proselytised.

Its the excess that I don’t like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Let's hope our "progressive" politicians use this golden opportunity to consign the completely pointless and extremely costly position of "Lord of Man" to the history books where it belongs.

It's just complete madness as a 21st century democracy to continue with such completely unnecessary opulence at a time when many residents are choosing between heating and eating and foodbank use is on the rise.

We're constantly reminded by our rulers that we're not a state, are not recognised under international law, have no say in many international decisions that profoundly affect us, so why then do we need a head of state? And if we really do, is it appropriate in a 21st century democracy for them to be chosen by an accident of birth, or for them to be from elsewhere - apparently needing us to appoint and house at great cost a representative, as they have so little interest in the place they only bother visiting  a couple of times a century.

Let's hope a more objective and progressive approach can be taken with the passing of this nice lady.

Think you're missing a few points there. 

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Douglas Corpy on the band wagon now.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mayor-of-douglas-offers-condolences-to-royal-family/

Why on earth would you want to go and sign a book of condolences in the Town Hall today? The world has gone mad.

Some churches have opened books of condolence but said that they have been told to keep them in their own archives and not send them to wherever you would expect them to go.  What is the point then? 

• Like 1