Lord of Mann

0bserver

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Some churches have opened books of condolence but said that they have been told to keep them in their own archives and not send them to wherever you would expect them to go.  What is the point then? 

It’s just pointless virtue-signalling is anyone really that beset by grief (as a opposed to wanting a day off) that they’re going to spend the day crying in a Church and signing condolences in a book? It’s nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s just pointless virtue-signalling is anyone really that beset by grief (as a opposed to wanting a day off) that they’re going to spend the day crying in a Church and signing condolences in a book? It’s nonsense. 

To be fair, rather than beset by grief,  there may be many who want to/feel obliged to register their condolences  possibly because of their position or some other affiliation.  They generally send their condolences directly or via accepted channels.  For everyone else, it is like writing a message on some loo paper and consigning it to the sewers, pointless and, as you say, virtue-signalling.   

If you really want your message of condolence to have the slightest possibility of being seen by those who are actually bereaved (isn't that the purpose to offer comfort?), signing a book in a church on the IOM is not the way to do it.

• Like 2

Err ... the point is that a local community will come together to remember a long reigning monarch and future generations of the same community will be able to bring these out as curiosities and memorabilia at future special events and commemorations.

If they were all just shipped off to an Indiana-Jones-sized warehouse to never be seen again, that would be pointless, but by keeping it local it becomes a part of the community's remembrance.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my view the Queen summed up service & duty; coupled with a quiet humanity*, politeness & a hint of humour & self-knowledge.

She was the head of both a complex family & a complex country, and managed the resulting challenges with grace.

Remember her for that.

*The story of her having tea with a volunteer battlefield surgeon suffering from PTSD after returning from Syria is the best example of her humanity; understanding the poor man was simply overwhelmed and simply sitting with him feeding the corgis.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I think it’s a bit like religion, I don’t mind what anyone does to mark the passing of QEII, or what they believe in; as long as it’s not in my face/rammed down my throat/proselytised.

Its the excess that I don’t like.

Of course you don't. Of course. It's all about you isn't it.

You've enjoyed as if of right the privileges - aye, the excesses too - of being brought up and living in a monarchical middle class Western society.

No doubt you feel sanctimoniously smug that the privileges you enjoy have been wholly down to your own endeavours. But it is our society that has given you all you have. All of it.

How dare that society interfere with your precious life when its leader is mourned. And if that takes a week or more - then suck it up, and take some time to try and empathise with the vast majority who do appreciate what they have and who they have lost. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AOR said:

Of course you don't. Of course. It's all about you isn't it.

You've enjoyed as if of right the privileges - aye, the excesses too - of being brought up and living in a monarchical middle class Western society.

No doubt you feel sanctimoniously smug that the privileges you enjoy have been wholly down to your own endeavours. But it is our society that has given you all you have. All of it.

How dare that society interfere with your precious life when its leader is mourned. And if that takes a week or more - then suck it up, and take some time to try and empathise with the vast majority who do appreciate what they have and who they have lost. 

That's you banned then.😂

• Haha 1

The Government & Palace say no need to cancel sporting events, shut venues etc so what happens, football, golf, cricket etc cancelled. Lots of people including many locals have/are traveling to these events & won’t get travel/hotel expenses back , absolutely OTT reaction. Could understand on day of funeral but not today 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Banker said:

The Government & Palace say no need to cancel sporting events, shut venues etc so what happens, football, golf, cricket etc cancelled. Lots of people including many locals have/are traveling to these events & won’t get travel/hotel expenses back , absolutely OTT reaction. Could understand on day of funeral but not today 

Its crazy, lots of money down the drain for people who have booked travel and hotel for football, boxing etc.

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I assumed you were joking.

You're not joking..

OMG that man is the most self deluded people in government. I’m sure the Royal Family will be eternally grateful that he cut his holiday short to come back to the IOM. They couldn’t possibly have had any peace of mind without some third rate oaf from Onchan attending some local gathering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6