Lord of Mann

0bserver

9 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Really surprised a place has not been dedicated to lay some flowers and pay our respects to the Queen on the island by our government. They should be ashamed. 

Keep up

https://www.gov.im/news/2022/sep/09/island-enters-period-of-national-mourning/

https://twitter.com/IOMGovernment/status/1568213838994055169?t=HKFaJHgq0MhLMwrovc8K1g&s=19

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02rrgBJKcmn2Jm6U9z9iffPnoAoaSJHrJTrJU9YtyAeQNJ1wXonNRHtcjimdXeYRKAl&id=100067040923165

Edited by snowman

8 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Let's hope our "progressive" politicians use this golden opportunity to consign the completely pointless and extremely costly position of "Lord of Man" to the history books where it belongs.

It's just complete madness as a 21st century democracy to continue with such completely unnecessary opulence at a time when many residents are choosing between heating and eating and foodbank use is on the rise.

We're constantly reminded by our rulers that we're not a state, are not recognised under international law, have no say in many international decisions that profoundly affect us, so why then do we need a head of state? And if we really do, is it appropriate in a 21st century democracy for them to be chosen by an accident of birth, or for them to be from elsewhere - apparently needing us to appoint and house at great cost a representative, as they have so little interest in the place they only bother visiting  a couple of times a century.

Let's hope a more objective and progressive approach can be taken with the passing of this nice lady.

I've had a look at the wankers we keep voting in, and I think accidents of birth may be preferable....................

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I've checked my bank balance, and no, I'm not. I'm in the proletariat posse, I'm a ragged trousered philanthropist, even.

Alas.

Perhaps we can unite and bring blunt objects to the houses of factory owners rather than trying to decide which of the proles does "work" or "work work" then.

14 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Really surprised a place has not been dedicated to lay some flowers and pay our respects to the Queen on the island by our government. They should be ashamed. 

Here you go. Nothing to be ashamed about...

Screenshot_20220909-175536~2.png

Edited by quilp
Snowman beat me to it...

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The only thing I'm missing in that post is the pompous nonsense that most of our politicians are spouting today.

The main point you are missing is that we do need a head of state, whatever we call it.  As a Crown Dependency, that is the Crown by whatever name we choose.  What you are really arguing for is full independence and to be a sovereign state in our own right. That will need a head of state so the next question is who, and how that position is appointed.  

Quite frankly, the more I see of our ability to govern ourselves, even within our current confines, I am not confident we could fill that position in our own best interests.  There may be a great deal complain about the current constitutional arrangement, but IMO it is the best option and has served us reasonably well for a long time.

My comments about books of condolence, business closures etc. are about the reaction not the event, the constitutional arrangement or the woman who has filled the position for 70 years in an exemplary and admirable way. 

I am not a particularly ardent royalist, but the arrangement has worked well and the person who has filled it for many years has earned unrivalled international respect.

Charles has a very hard act to follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Roxanne said:

This is going to turn into a week long event, isn't it.  

I'm torn.  I know she was the Queen and it's very sad but isn't there also a case for us ordinary people to just get on with life as we know it? Is there a wish to return to those days of wailing about the death of Diana? Personally I think the last thing British people need to be doing right now is wallowing about something else that's sad.

I used to be a regular at QPR, i think it would have been better to keep the matches on and let the fans pay their respects around the country. 

17 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Perhaps we can unite and bring blunt objects to the houses of factory owners rather than trying to decide which of the proles does "work" or "work work" then.

I think you took a post when I had been out - as in out out - way too seriously!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Rox, that is the first line of a statement that oxymoronically is intended to offend. 

No, my shed load of tins won't save me.  It will help though, along with many other preparations and items.  Most of it however is not just prepper paranoia, it's basic stuff that most people should have that would certainly help you in any natural or manmade disaster (or even just the boat not sailing for a few days), or anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors adventuring should have to hand anyway.  You've got to able to help yourself nowadays, not rely on anyone to rescue you from anything. 

Here here, I'm all for being prepared and helping yourself, I plan to.

Where's your shed again?

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

David Ashford put a post on Facebook snd reported on the NPM saying he absolutely devastated by the loss of The Queen. A bit over the top, when a simple message of condolence was suffice. Virtually all MHKs have posted a tribute. 

A lot of people are still devastated over how long he took to resign...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I used to be a regular at QPR, i think it would have been better to keep the matches on and let the fans pay their respects around the country. 

Totally agree, they’ve even cancelled kids football but golf, cricket etc is going ahead as planned . Talking about canceling next weekend London fixtures as all police will be getting ready for funeral duty