Lord of Mann

0bserver

27 minutes ago, 2112 said:

David Ashford put a post on Facebook snd reported on the NPM saying he absolutely devastated by the loss of The Queen. A bit over the top, when a simple message of condolence was suffice. Virtually all MHKs have posted a tribute. 

Probably written by his girlfriend. She's practically breaking down at the loss.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

This must be what Rob is legging it back for 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/king-charles-iii-to-be-proclaimed-lord-of-mann-on-sunday/

We clearly can’t have a new Lord of Mann proclaimed without some moon faced gormless idiot being present. 

It's not actually clear from that or the Tynwald press release it was based on, whether the various high and mighties actually need to be at Gov House for the Proclamation or whether they're going to swear allegiance at the Tynwald Hill bash the next Friday.  So Rob's dash may have been all in vain.  He would presumably have been back for the Tuesday 13th Tynwald anyway (and they may do the swearing bit then).

I expect a more detailed programme, based on 1952, will follow, though whether it will include mucking up the original again remains to be seen.

(And no one said thank you for the research).

Edited by Roger Mexico
Duplicate words
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

March was the first lockdown.  Covid was first detected in Europe on the 1st Feb 2020.  So he must book it in January 2020. 

We came home on the 19th March and had to quarantine at home for two weeks. We’d had no restrictions in Seville or Lisbon until the last few days. We almost extended out stay in Lisbon for a couple of weeks until it all blew over. I could well imagine him booking a holiday in January or February 

17 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

What if the nonce was her firstborn? 

nonce or quayle?

I'll have to ponder that one some more.................

Actually, if andrew was next in line, it'd have been time for a defenestration. I like a good defensetration,me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The main point you are missing is that we do need a head of state, whatever we call it.  As a Crown Dependency, that is the Crown by whatever name we choose.  What you are really arguing for is full independence and to be a sovereign state in our own right. That will need a head of state so the next question is who, and how that position is appointed.  

Quite frankly, the more I see of our ability to govern ourselves, even within our current confines, I am not confident we could fill that position in our own best interests.  There may be a great deal complain about the current constitutional arrangement, but IMO it is the best option and has served us reasonably well for a long time.

My comments about books of condolence, business closures etc. are about the reaction not the event, the constitutional arrangement or the woman who has filled the position for 70 years in an exemplary and admirable way. 

I am not a particularly ardent royalist, but the arrangement has worked well and the person who has filled it for many years has earned unrivalled international respect.

Charles has a very hard act to follow.

In this case I'm not arguing for full independence, you're putting words in my mouth.

Why do we need a head of state if we're not a state, that has no logic to it at all. I get that the Queen was the head of state for the UK on whom we are dependent, that's entirely a matter for the people of the UK. The Lord of Man title is totally pointless, old fashioned and has no relevance in the modern world.

I also appreciate that you think our elected representatives are not capable of representing us. In many cases I agree, but this is not a uniquely Manx thing. The people of many countries feel disconnected from their elected leaders and unsure of their abilities, remember Donald Trump, Boris Johnson to give just two recent examples.

To cite this as a reason to forgo democracy in favour of an hereditary monarch is not only centuries out of date, but a completely illogical, nonsensical and potentially a very dangerous idea. We're extremely lucky that for the last 70 years our head of state has been a graceful, apolitical figure. What's to say the next one won't be a war mongering lunatic? 

22 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

God bless her majesty’  . She’d be putting that MBE back in her handbag, if she would of known the truth.

I bet Davy is devastated, he be able to write a story about their very close relationship now and how he got his award.

It was rather nauseating. 

56 minutes ago, 2112 said:

David Ashford put a post on Facebook snd reported on the NPM saying he absolutely devastated by the loss of The Queen. A bit over the top, when a simple message of condolence was suffice. Virtually all MHKs have posted a tribute. 

They're all taking competitive grieving to a whole new level.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

In this case I'm not arguing for full independence, you're putting words in my mouth.

Why do we need a head of state if we're not a state, that has no logic to it at all. I get that the Queen was the head of state for the UK on whom we are dependent, that's entirely a matter for the people of the UK. The Lord of Man title is totally pointless, old fashioned and has no relevance in the modern world.

I also appreciate that you think our elected representatives are not capable of representing us. In many cases I agree, but this is not a uniquely Manx thing. The people of many countries feel disconnected from their elected leaders and unsure of their abilities, remember Donald Trump, Boris Johnson to give just two recent examples.

To cite this as a reason to forgo democracy in favour of an hereditary monarch is not only centuries out of date, but a completely illogical, nonsensical and potentially a very dangerous idea. We're extremely lucky that for the last 70 years our head of state has been a graceful, apolitical figure. What's to say the next one won't be a war mongering lunatic? 

OK, use a different term than 'head of state'.  What do you see replacing the Lord of Mann?  Just about every country, barring Somalia, I think, is a recognised state with a head. Ours is the Queen (now King) but we happen to call her Lord of Mann. We are not a state in our own right but part of one which leads to the same end -  the Crown, although that is a bit of a funny thing not really just the monarch. 

If you want to cut that then you can only be talking about independence.  

I don't understand your argument, unless you are talking about the whole United Kingdom.

3 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

My particular favourite was that half-wit Allinson, a trained medical doctor, describing the death of a 96 year old woman in failing health as "an awful shock".

It is when it happens actually.  Although  you anticipate it, you never know the moment or how. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

OK, use a different term than 'head of state'.  What do you see replacing the Lord of Mann?  Just about every country, barring Somalia, I think, is a recognised state with a head. Ours is the Queen (now King) but we happen to call her Lord of Mann. We are not a state in our own right but part of one which leads to the same end -  the Crown, although that is a bit of a funny thing not really just the monarch. 

If you want to cut that then you can only be talking about independence.  

I don't understand your argument, unless you are talking about the whole United Kingdom.

Why replace her with anyone, we're not a country, not a state - to have a head of state is unnecessary and pointless. We're "dependant" on the UK, they have a head of state, we don't need one.

Independence is a different argument completely, if we were independent we would need a head of state, we're not so we don't.

• Like 2