Lord of Mann

0bserver

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Although having stated his terrible shock at the death of a 96 year old woman, he then felt the need to reassure the people that their currency and stamps would still be valid.

If he's not a half-wit he's a condescending bugger, that's for sure.

The majority of people haven’t been around for the death of a monarch. The bleeding obvious might not always be with new territory. 

Of course, until the 60s, you’d get coins floating about with Victoria on them if they weren’t too shabby. Ruddy decimalisation ruining history etc etc. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Am I missing something? ANOTHER MHK: I'm not doing my job or talking politics for the next 10 days.

What an absolute tit. What on earth is wrong with people? He can’t answer political questions from his constituents because the Queen is dead? What a complete arse biscuit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

What an absolute tit. What on earth is wrong with people? He can’t answer political questions from his constituents because the Queen is dead? What a complete arse biscuit.

I am sorry to say this, but to IOMG, and MHKs trying to out grieve each other, and compete as to who gives the greatest eulogy, other important issues affecting the island will be kicked into the long grass. The UK iGovernment issued an initial statement capping the energy cap for two years. I think IOMG will quite happily let other utilities rise to where residents and bill payers reach a point where they can’t manage anymore? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Trying to figure out when she will be transferred to here and when the procession will be. I think Sunday and Monday. We meant to do a road trip to Scotland and Lake District but just changed bookings to stay. Prices are sky rocketing. Once in a lifetime event I guess. 

AC14AEBE-BCF3-44C9-8815-6ABBBABEC77F.jpeg

561642E3-B3B2-48A4-B439-EA8ABC539D5E.jpeg

19 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I am sorry to say this, but to IOMG, and MHKs trying to out grieve each other, and compete as to who gives the greatest eulogy, other important issues affecting the island will be kicked into the long grass. The UK iGovernment issued an initial statement capping the energy cap for two years. I think IOMG will quite happily let other utilities rise to where residents and bill payers reach a point where they can’t manage anymore? 

My mate described it as like “Poppy day on steroids” which seemed quite apt to me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 2112 said:

All I can say is well said Mike Wilson. If he wants to avoid his constituents then he should do it in his own time not time we’re paying him for. That said no doubt if the covid statistics start going back up he won’t be able to help himself bleating about it. Tosser.

469C2E8B-19E3-4648-B131-9C6AF860EFE8.jpeg

• Like 1

This is very much my view on the way the media is driving this: 

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/traitor-eats-toast-instead-of-watching-bbc-20220908225528

He’s not just a quisling who hates his country, he’s a psychopath. He sat there munching on toast rather than giving 100 per cent undivided attention to Huw Edwards repeating what he’d just said two minutes ago.

• Like 2

I'm already fed up of people trying to out do each other with Uber grief.

I can't take another 10 days of this being rammed down my throat.

If people want to grieve. Crack on.

But stop making a drama out of it and forcing it upon everyone 

Edited by snowman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

All I can say is well said Mike Wilson. If he wants to avoid his constituents then he should do it in his own time not time we’re paying him for. That said no doubt if the covid statistics start going back up he won’t be able to help himself bleating about it. Tosser.

469C2E8B-19E3-4648-B131-9C6AF860EFE8.jpeg

Hasn't he just had 8 weeks off?

I don't know what he's like as a consistency mhk, but he appears to have done nothing in Tynwald.

25 minutes ago, snowman said:

I can't take another 10 days of this being rammed down my throat.

I agree. 

We seem to be transitioning from the outpouring of grief to ‘well-wishing’ our new King Charles III. As much as I understand how some people feel about all of this, I can’t wait for the airwaves to clear and normal life to resume.

My view has always been that the monarchy as an institution is an historical relic that has little relevance to the modern age. All major decisions are made by the government of the day and not be the monarchs, who are not supposed to express their views on anything (ironically, the new monarch's namesake, King Charles I, paid with his head for that ‘misunderstanding’). Also, compared to other extant European monarchs, British Royals are vastly overprivileged and wealthy. Any UK government which is serious about tackling inequality cannot ignore societal disparities such as where the Head of State who ‘rules’ by only using ‘soft power’ amasses assets worth £1b+, while ordinary people are struggling to ‘eat and heat and get medical assistance’ and the public debt is ballooning out of control.

As far as the Office of Lieutenant Governor is concerned, we are probably stuck with this role whether we like it or not – any changes would have to be initiated from the UK. In the meantime, the Island must concentrate on what is within its purview; e.g., reforming Tynwald and IOM CS/ PS. A complicating factor will be that the economic growth that everybody is counting on looks as if it will be harder to achieve/ will be unsustainable. Going forward, any progress will have to be spurred on by new technologies which do not rely on the consumption of finite natural resources – this wil be very tricky to do, even in the context of ‘green energy’ economy, IMHO.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1