Lord of Mann

0bserver

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

But nobody is talking about not being a Crown dependency, merely scrapping the title of Lord of Mann. If we're dependent on another country why do we need a head of state? It makes no sense at all. The Queen or King or whoever would still be head of state for the country we're "dependent" on, but we wouldn't have a head of state because, not being a sovereign state , we simply don't need one - it serves no purpose whatsoever.

I see you're playing the constitution card as normal when anyone dares to question anything vaguely British, as if our constitution is set in stone (it's not even written down) and as if it can never be changed in the slightest way, even to better reflect the changing society and political direction of the island.

Constitutional reform is long, long overdue on this island, why bother modernising other legislation if our entire constitution is mired in archaic irrelevance, why bother striving for a more inclusive and egalitarian society if we are to continue with the costly charade of an unnecessary head of state whose appointment represents the complete opposite.

Poor old angry Manx nationalist can't get his head around the "British Crown Dependency" bit. It's the Isle of Man's USP and everyone sensible knows it. The Island wouldn't be viable as a sovereign state. Imagine how much the new embassies in London, Washington and Beijing would cost?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not social media that they're afraid of, but the conventional ones, especially the London papers.

(I suspect the Royals are almost as bemused as the rest of us).

I would also add that it is not just the sycophantic conventional media that are pressuring everyone to behave as if they were feeling totally inconsolable. This also fits the narrative of opportunistic (mostly right-wing) politicians and their backers as they attempt to re-define what it means to be 'patriotic'. Keeping ‘The Firm’ going also serves their interests, and vice versa.

Brexit accentuated bonkers flag waving, whether people wish to admit it or not. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Poor old angry Manx nationalist can't get his head around the "British Crown Dependency" bit. It's the Isle of Man's USP and everyone sensible knows it. The Island wouldn't be viable as a sovereign state. Imagine how much the new embassies in London, Washington and Beijing would cost?

In the world of the Manx Nationalists there would be no need to travel apart from the occasional day trip to LIverpoool to see how civilisation works. Maybe buy some of that brown sauce to spice up the spuds and salted herrin's.

The last few days has shown us all what it is to have a passport with The Crown emblazoned on it. Recognized and highly respected throughout the world.

An equivalent passport with a three legs may as well have a photo of some half eaten bonnag on it, the result would be the same - security and customs guards in every country laughing their cocks off.

Edited by AOR
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, code99 said:

Keeping ‘The Firm’ going also serves their interests, and vice versa.

So you do not see that keeping said firm going is very much in your interests too? All of our interests. You should carefully think about the alternative society.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

That was my point.  If the only candidate you can propose is dead, it kind of undermines the idea. 

Whilst suggesting that retiring first deemsters might be considered as potential candidates for the role of a Manx head of state - & that William Cain could have done the job particularly well - what I did say was that to me the better way forward would be to join in electing a president of a federation of Scotland, Ireland & the Isle of Man 

So, no Dead Presidents Society for me

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Whilst suggesting that retiring first deemsters might be considered as potential candidates for the role of a Manx head of state - & that William Cain could have done the job particularly well - what I did say was that to me the better way forward would be to join in electing a president of a federation of Scotland, Ireland & the Isle of Man 

Actually the First Deemster/Clerk of the Rolls already acts as Governor in the absence  of the latter and has done for centuries.  Of course a lot of countries that still have the UK monarch as head of state, now have an eminent local as Governor-General, but I'm not sure that the Island doing the same for our LG would be that wise, we'd probably end up with Skelly or worse.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually the First Deemster/Clerk of the Rolls already acts as Governor in the absence  of the latter and has done for centuries.  Of course a lot of countries that still have the UK monarch as head of state, now have an eminent local as Governor-General, but I'm not sure that the Island doing the same for our LG would be that wise, we'd probably end up with Skelly or worse.

Think of the regalia!

2 hours ago, AOR said:

In the world of the Manx Nationalists there would be no need to travel apart from the occasional day trip to LIverpoool to see how civilisation works.

Yes it is really going well for the folk in Liverpool, If that is the civilized world, please  let me live in ignorance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1