Lord of Mann

0bserver

The Prince of Wales in my book is the best Royal without a doubt.  I understand the grief he went through and think he was very lucky to have such an understanding grandmother, it was very hard times,when the villa were relegated to the championship.

Edited by Holte End
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I’ve been reading this thread quietly and trying to stay out of it but I saw this on Faceache last night and you do wonder what’s up with people when people and local authorities are being publicly decried for not putting enough effort into mourning. Some people really do need to get a life. 

2849FBDC-0600-4372-95DE-1EFAAFE6DCCF.jpeg

Thing is that these are public bodies and so should get the protocols right.  Not sure if the flags were right on Douglas prom yesterday afternoon (at half mast) . Once there was the proclamation, I thought the flags were supposed to be at full mast.

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Thing is that these are public bodies and so should get the protocols right.  Not sure if the flags were right on Douglas prom yesterday afternoon (at half mast) . Once there was the proclamation, I thought the flags were supposed to be at full mast.

I think they've probably got it right.   I would imagine they go to full mast after midday today

"His Majesty King Charles III will be proclaimed as the new Lord of Mann at noon on Sunday, 11 September 2022. This event will take place at Government House." 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To be honest I don’t go round looking at flags and I honestly couldn’t care less whether they’re observing or not. But these social media bullies trying to enforce their hardcore mourning on us really annoy me. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, emesde said:

I think they've probably got it right.   I would imagine they go to full mast after midday today

"His Majesty King Charles III will be proclaimed as the new Lord of Mann at noon on Sunday, 11 September 2022. This event will take place at Government House." 

You are right, he hasn't been proclaimed here yet. 😊

Edited by Gladys

As well as a proclamation today of the new ‘Lord of Mann’, there is a church service this afternoon at the Royal Chapel in St Johns. I wonder whether any of the members are going to miss on non- religious grounds, or they object due to anti monarchy views?  It will probably be an opportunity for some to out grieve one another, to publicly display their emotions. 

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

They raised them late afternoon.  Apparently each flag needs a couple of guys and a cherry picker these days so it took them hours.

A massive waste of time and effort

Edited by Asthehills

3 hours ago, emesde said:

Here's the official guidance:

Following the death of Her Majesty The Queen, all official flags, including the Union Flag, should be half-masted from as soon as possible today until 08.00 the day following The Queen’s State Funeral. Flags may be flown overnight during this period but should remain at half-mast.

[...] The only exception to half-masting during this period of mourning is on the day of the Accession Council on 10 September when His Majesty The King is formally proclaimed. The Union Flag and all other official flags should be raised to full mast between the hours of 09:00 and 10:30 and remain at full mast until 13:00 the following day, at which time the Union and official flags should return to being flown at half mast.

Note that the exception applied yesterday because of the Accession Council, not because it was the Proclamation, which is happening at different times around the world.

Given that the Chair of Port St Mary Commissioners is Bernadette Williams, previously he UK’s National Standard Bearer for the Royal British Legion Women’s Section, you can bet that the appropriate flag protocol would have been correct to the nearest second and centimetre.  So complaining about them getting things wrong in PSM in particular is highly amusing and bound to end in someone looking extremely foolish.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

They raised them late afternoon.  Apparently each flag needs a couple of guys and a cherry picker these days so it took them hours.

A massive waste of time and effort

No doubt to be repeated today when they have to be returned to half mast for the rest of the week.

Is this really true?  Even by DBC standards, needing to raise and lower flags that way seems not just bizarre and a characteristically expensive and slow way of doing something cheap and fast, it also goes against the whole ritual of raising and lowering flags.

Perhaps @Amadeus could investigate (he's probably got remote cameras trained on every inch of the Prom anyway).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No doubt to be repeated today when they have to be returned to half mast for the rest of the week.

Is this really true?  Even by DBC standards, needing to raise and lower flags that way seems not just bizarre and a characteristically expensive and slow way of doing something cheap and fast, it also goes against the whole ritual of raising and lowering flags.

Perhaps @Amadeus could investigate (he's probably got remote cameras trained on every inch of the Prom anyway).

Saw it with my own eyes.

I guessed that in this day and age if they just had a cord tied off and easily accessible that the yokels can’t be trusted not to mess with it