Lord of Mann

0bserver

46 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

He should be arrested for being a dick. Now is not the time or place for this kind of behaviour

He's complaining about the attack of the right to protest, so anywhere would be suitable.  But Parliament Square in London is a traditional place for protest, something increasingly under attack in recent years.

And of course arresting someone for holding up a blank piece of paper is exactly the sort of behaviour we've seen in Moscow recently.  No doubt there were people there telling it wasn't the time or place for it because of there being a war on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's kind of like the Emperor's new clothes all this royal bollocks. The whole thing is bloody insane really, in the modern world, but everyone just goes along with it as if its the most normal thing in the world. Hardly anyone questions it.

All the ceremonial stuff, for 10 days, and the collective, competitive grieving, is bollocks. But the notion of a Royal Family and inherited head of state? I’m not the first to say it, but I’d take QEII, and probably KCIII, over Liz Truss, Boris Johnson, Theresa May, David Cameron, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair etc.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

He should be arrested for being a dick. Now is not the time or place for this kind of behaviour

Not sure he should be arrested for it, but he’s definitely a dick. Absolutely agree now is not the time. Wait a week or so if that’s what you want to do. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wrighty said:

All the ceremonial stuff, for 10 days, and the collective, competitive grieving, is bollocks. But the notion of a Royal Family and inherited head of state? I’m not the first to say it, but I’d take QEII, and probably KCIII, over Liz Truss, Boris Johnson, Theresa May, David Cameron, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair etc.

Yes I think you're right there, but does that means that the UK and us to a certain extent should rely on pure luck for producing a head of state rather than a (fairly) democratic process?

I do get the point you're making with that list, but democracy is something to value, a freedom not afforded to everyone in the world. Inherited titles on the other hand?

I know it's far from perfect, Brexit for example was democratic and IMHO the worst backwards step they and by association us could have made but enough people wanted it to happen to make it so, I've some respect for that, while completely despairing at it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

He's complaining about the attack of the right to protest, so anywhere would be suitable.  But Parliament Square in London is a traditional place for protest, something increasingly under attack in recent years.

And of course arresting someone for holding up a blank piece of paper is exactly the sort of behaviour we've seen in Moscow recently.  No doubt there were people there telling it wasn't the time or place for it because of there being a war on.

That's exactly what I've been saying. As soon as the royal family are involved, otherwise rational, liberal thinking people turn into draconian maniacs. All logic goes out the window.

• Thanks 1

Now was precisely the right time. Same with the lad here who shouted at Andrew. If you think he’s at fault and not the guy who made serious allegations of sexual misconduct go away with 12 million pounds of taxpayer money, then you’re part of the problem. 

Also, to detain someone over a blank piece of paper or arrest someone for holding eggs (as happened elsewhere) is going too far. Sadly, police are all too eager to be seen as loyal servants in these situations. 

• Like 2

The police seem to follow the prevailing narrative at the moment, regarding arresting people for, essentially,what they think.

With regards to the head of state, I think I would prefer a symbolic one, like the queen, rather then a political one, who will want to wield power. The liberty index shows that the majority of the top 15 'free' countries are monarchies. We are not in the place where we abolish the royal family and get Billy Bragg as head of state, it'll be a power grab. However, the monarchy needs to be radically trimmed and to start to be seen to be doing the right thing, like paying inheritance tax, for example. And a public defenestration of Andrew would be great.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Now was precisely the right time. Same with the lad here who shouted at Andrew. If you think he’s at fault and not the guy who made serious allegations of sexual misconduct go away with 12 million pounds of taxpayer money, then you’re part of the problem. 

Also, to detain someone over a blank piece of paper or arrest someone for holding eggs (as happened elsewhere) is going too far. Sadly, police are all too eager to be seen as loyal servants in these situations. 

You just don't get it do you Frank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Was it taxpayer's money? 

• Like 3

On 9/10/2022 at 8:38 AM, Newsdesk said:

All I can say is well said Mike Wilson. If he wants to avoid his constituents then he should do it in his own time not time we’re paying him for. That said no doubt if the covid statistics start going back up he won’t be able to help himself bleating about it. Tosser.

469C2E8B-19E3-4648-B131-9C6AF860EFE8.jpeg

Another one engaging mouth before brain. Pillock.

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

Not sure he should be arrested for it, but he’s definitely a dick. Absolutely agree now is not the time. Wait a week or so if that’s what you want to do. 

if he did it in a weeks time would so many people be talking about it ?   he got his reaction as intended courtesy of the state,  if he did it in a week we'd probably be hearing how he left it too late ,  either way whenever he did it people would be claiming the timing was wrong to piss on his parade.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WTF said:

if he did it in a weeks time would so many people be talking about it ?   he got his reaction as intended courtesy of the state,  if he did it in a week we'd probably be hearing how he left it too late ,  either way whenever he did it people would be claiming the timing was wrong to piss on his parade.

I suppose, with a couple of the protesters being arrested, removed, and then de-arrested, the police could say they are doing it to prevent trouble and to protect the safety of the actual protester.

Anyway, I've got radio 4 on, they're at the emmy's. Puts the ridiculousness and immaturity of the whole royal family shebang in context, with a generous topping of conceit on top.

It seems to be human nature, certainly within the direction we are currently travelling, that when we do away with religion, royalty etc, we replace them with something more vacuous - money, celebrity culture. 

I fear we may well be heading towards a time where demagogues will become more prevalent. I'd keep the head of state symbolic