Lord of Mann

0bserver

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Although bafflingly the Chilli Eating contest is cancelled out of respect!

I would imagine - nay, I hope - that was under medical advice. Add legal advice to that. I watched it last year and couldn't believe what people were being asked to do. It ain't funny.

Likewise the Douglas Carnival when someone had the bright idea of throwing rainbow coloured chalk dust everywhere. I don't fancy a lungful of that shite, carnival or not.

Edited by AOR

30 minutes ago, AOR said:

I would imagine - nay, I hope - that was under medical advice. Add legal advice to that. I watched it last year and couldn't believe what people were being asked to do. It ain't funny.

Likewise the Douglas Carnival when someone had the bright idea of throwing rainbow coloured chalk dust everywhere. I don't fancy a lungful of that shite, carnival or not.

Woke nannystate snowflake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This whole ‘protocol’ resembles a warped ‘medieval’ costume drama, albeit much of today’s flummery are relatively recent additions to what were previously ‘subdued’ royal occasions. IMHO, it is increasingly lacking decorum and possibly good taste. I am sure that even among the most ardent Royalists there are some (for whom watching a slowly moving hearse/ coffin is more like watching a horror film) who are beginning to think that this painfully drawn-out public display is perhaps becoming to feel a bit too much like state propaganda than paying heartfelt respect; something that would be more appropriate in places like North Korea than in a modern democratic country.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone who calls for the abolition of the monarchy. This ‘refrain’ is “as old as the monarchy itself and the ability to say these things openly in the UK is a cornerstone of our freedom of speech”. Counter to this proud tradition of Britishness, the Police’s heavy-handedness is a manifestation of our civil rights being gradually eroded. Paraphrasing the old saying: “First, they came for the Unions, then they came for anti-monarchy protesters...,” and so on.

If the Queen was really as gracious and kind and as ‘caring for her subjects’ as we have been endlessly told she was, then surely, she would have been appalled that, all in her name, important national events have been cancelled/ postponed, and other disruptions are occurring to our day-to-day lives. This would not have been what she would have wanted?

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Woke nannystate snowflake.

OK, the hotdog thing. I've watched it a few times. It's a bit of fun.  I reckon after 8 pints down the pub on a Saturday night I could out eat the lot of 'em, certainly if they was keebabs. A school pal was in hospital with pancreatitis and I got to know a few things about the digestive system and how delicate it can be. Then I watched the people shoving hotdogs down their neck in an eating competition, so I may be a bit sensitive and I'll concede to being a woke nannystate snowflake on that one. But not the chalk dust (said in a John McEnroe voice) thing though. That's a bit frightening. (Covid and masks and particle sizes and lungs etc has taught me that)  

Edited by AOR

4 hours ago, Hoops said:

I suppose, with a couple of the protesters being arrested, removed, and then de-arrested, the police could say they are doing it to prevent trouble and to protect the safety of the actual protester.

The whole thing was a bit odd, the attack of the protestor seemed to be be from behind in a clip I saw (undercover police?) rather than other people watching the cortege.

But the usual way of dealing with such situations used to be, as you say, to arrest 'for their own protection' and then release without charge.  But they have been charging people for protesting even in the mildest way (and a long way from the cortege or whatever).

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

They hardly suspended any sport.  Football was pretty much the only major sport impacted.

I suspect the feeling was that, at sports traditionally associated with the working class, the required deference might not always be forthcoming from the crowd.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, code99 said:

Paraphrasing the old saying: “First, they came for the Unions, then they came for anti-monarchy protesters...,” and so on.

Yeah but, that phrase was originally used in a rather more serious context.

The ne'er-do-wells that are drawing attention to themselves over monarchy just now are just that. Attention seeking ne'er-do-wells. Their only purpose in their miserable lives is to kick against society at every opportunity, and now the big one has presented itself for their 15 minutes and more of Twitter fame.

Edited by AOR

34 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect the feeling was that, at sports traditionally associated with the working class, the required deference might not always be forthcoming from the crowd.

Dunno about the working class, the Irish weren't particularly respectful...