Lord of Mann

0bserver

10 minutes ago, code99 said:

If the Queen was really as gracious and kind and as ‘caring for her subjects’ as we have been endlessly told she was, then surely, she would have been appalled that, all in her name, important national events have been cancelled/ postponed, and other disruptions are occurring to our day-to-day lives. This would not have been what she would have wanted?

I don't think she's getting much say in the matter, to be honest.  Nor may be the surviving Royal Family, come to that.  The whims of the media and the politicians will be being pushed hard, having to be countered by 'traditions'.

One thing that does strike me though is that someone who continued working into her 90s would be fairly contemptuous of politicians and civil servants who decide to stop doing their normal jobs for ten days until something happening hundreds of miles away is completed.

To be honest Manx Radio hasn't been much better.  The website has only had five stories since Thursday lunchtime that don't relate to the royal death: two about the NASUWT work to rule mainly based on stuff recorded before; two about the dreadful CQC ED report, again based on old material; and one today about youth justice, also based on stuff from last week (the latter is a decent bit of reporting, I suspect from the BBC LD person).  Clearly the MR newsroom is paralysed without civil servants to tell them what to write.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Bonkers.

ETA: Entirely her decision, but don't call out others who have made a different decision, or the organisers. 

The official position is that cancellation of events or closing of businesses is not expected during this period.

Let's leave it at that, for individuals to decide how they want to deal with it without criticising others who make a different decision.

As was often said in lockdown "you do you".

Edited by Gladys

28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think she's getting much say in the matter, to be honest.  Nor may be the surviving Royal Family, come to that.  The whims of the media and the politicians will be being pushed hard, having to be countered by 'traditions'.

One thing that does strike me though is that someone who continued working into her 90s would be fairly contemptuous of politicians and civil servants who decide to stop doing their normal jobs for ten days until something happening hundreds of miles away is completed.

To be honest Manx Radio hasn't been much better.  The website has only had five stories since Thursday lunchtime that don't relate to the royal death: two about the NASUWT work to rule mainly based on stuff recorded before; two about the dreadful CQC ED report, again based on old material; and one today about youth justice, also based on stuff from last week (the latter is a decent bit of reporting, I suspect from the BBC LD person).  Clearly the MR newsroom is paralysed without civil servants to tell them what to write.

I am no fan of Manx Radio, but they are bound by protocols set for all media outlets and their own local license.

There are strict policies as to what they can and can’t do during this mourning period.  They aren’t just being lazy

Just now, Asthehills said:

I am no fan of Manx Radio, but they are bound by protocols set for all media outlets and their own local license.

There are strict policies as to what they can and can’t do during this mourning period.  They aren’t just being lazy

They're not 'bound' by any protocols, but even those that exist will only relate to how they cover topics relating to the death etc.  It's not an excuse to report nothing else - and indeed other local media have continued to cover other stories with royal-related articles in a minority.

They're not even the latter very well - the cancellation of today's Tynwald was only reported this morning for instance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1