Lord of Mann

0bserver

24 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Virtue signalling.

Not necessarily. If you look on the telly and that, there are lots of people who I would think agree with her.

And I think she has a point, but I suppose people must be itching to go out so it may well be a busy event. Let's wait and see.

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I've never heard of her either and I've no idea what her products are like or who her target audience is, but with a name like 'Choocy Picky' I'm not pushed to find out. it sounds cheap, tacky and nothing at all like me.

It's worse than that, it's "Choccy Piccy". Is she selling pictures of chocolate? Either way won't be buying; go woke go broke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AOR said:

Not necessarily. If you look on the telly and that, there are lots of people who I would think agree with her.

And I think she has a point, but I suppose people must be itching to go out so it may well be a busy event. Let's wait and see.

Life's for the living. Imagine if you postponed stuff you wanted to do because the Queen died and then you get hit by a bus before you get to do it. We're all finite, just get on with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They're not 'bound' by any protocols, but even those that exist will only relate to how they cover topics relating to the death etc.  It's not an excuse to report nothing else - and indeed other local media have continued to cover other stories with royal-related articles in a minority.

They're not even the latter very well - the cancellation of today's Tynwald was only reported this morning for instance.

I am just going by what they said on air yesterday when answering why so much of the news output was about the royals.

20 minute in on this link.

https://www.manxradio.com/radioplayer/?rpOdId=5aec37d6c159d71c24d4bd13d1238bb6afecf7d41027c4b130a4f68449b6ae90&rpSt=1003&rpSrp=index

On your other point, the cancellation of todays Tynwald was reported on air first thing Monday morning.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

The poor soldiers.

They rotate every twenty minutes apparently. 

Felt more sorry for the coppers having to stand along the royal mile all day and in the pissing rain, most just wearing short sleeved shirts. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I am just going by what they said on air yesterday when answering why so much of the news output was about the royals.

20 minute in on this link.

https://www.manxradio.com/radioplayer/?rpOdId=5aec37d6c159d71c24d4bd13d1238bb6afecf7d41027c4b130a4f68449b6ae90&rpSt=1003&rpSrp=index

On your other point, the cancellation of todays Tynwald was reported on air first thing Monday morning.

I listened to the clip, but while there are some protocols, especially in how the death is announced and so on, there's nothing saying that you can't talk about anything else - and indeed it doesn't seem to be bothering anyone else except Manx Radio.

As to the deferred sitting, wrighty picked it up on Sunday, but you would have thought a news team would have asked on Friday and reported the situation - even if to say that nothing had been decided yet.  And if they knew Monday why not also publish then?

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I cannot put profit over respect...

Wait, have I got this right? She's going apoplectic because people aren't pulling out of a festival this weekend to show "respect", but she ran a pop up shop last weekend just two days afterwards? Stupid hypocritical **** (fill in your own word here.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AOR said:

Maybe but would they have opened their chocolate piggy business last Saturday then be outraged and offended at the thought of selling chocolate piggy stuff next?

That's the issue here people are making any decision that suits at the moment and calling it a mark of respect. The brewery closing pubs last Friday "out of respect" whilst others opened to allow people to show respect - both were commercial decisions.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

Maybe but would they have opened their chocolate piggy business last Saturday then be outraged and offended at the thought of selling chocolate piggy stuff next?

That's the issue here people are making any decision that suits at the moment and calling it a mark of respect. The brewery closing pubs last Friday "out of respect" whilst others opened to allow people to show respect - both were commercial decisions.

I have seen some pubs advertise that they are open early on the day of the funeral for people who want to to go and watch it with others.  I think that’s ace, and hope they don’t get idiots calling them out for it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Life's for the living. Imagine if you postponed stuff you wanted to do because the Queen died and then you get hit by a bus before you get to do it. We're all finite, just get on with it.

Life's for living indeed.

Look down the street. Do you see any beggars? Do you see any recently bombed buildings? The threat of a neighbouring country pillaging your home. Etc

If the country was taken over by slack-arsed liberals such as those holding up signs at the funeral procession, the answers to the above would be yes, yes and yes. And more.

But aye, it's so much easier to just  ignore such matters and get on with our normality after a day or two of mourning as we did with our own grannie.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1