Lord of Mann

0bserver

8 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I might be mistaken, but I thought it had been announced a couple of decades ago that - when he eventually succeeded to the throne - he wouldn't take the title Charles III ?

(I'm most definitely not a royalist but I think the Queen did a fantastic job over a 70 year period.  However, I continue to be amazed that she and Philip decided to name the heir to the throne after two of the most divisive monarchs the country has ever seen... )

I think they were just making the point that the regnal name doesn't automatically have to the monarch's first given name (just like a lot of ordinary people are known by their second name).  But usually it's what they use.

I'm not sure I'd call Charles II particularly divisive (compared to his brother say) and it was over 300 years ago.  Let it go, fella.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

She was a fine lady.

There are however people who die every day who have had more challenging lives, more demanding lives, lives where they were more selfless etc etc.

I am not knocking the lady or belittling her death, but to say we will never see the like again is a bit odd.  She had a life that I wouldn’t have wanted but also more wealth and privilege than almost anyone else ever born will ever know. 

Yes you are right, but whilst the Royal Family and the late Queen was wealthy, she in realty was careful as to how it was spent. Unlike HNWIs I couldn’t imagine Royalty splashing cash on indulgent, tasteless and extravagant purchases, especially in a time where their subjects were living in poverty, or economic constraints. The UK is going through a cost of living crisis, I can’t see the new King or the heir, spending extravagantly especially in view of the economic climate, 

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

She was a fine lady.

There are however people who die every day who have had more challenging lives, more demanding lives, lives where they were more selfless etc etc.

I am not knocking the lady or belittling her death, but to say we will never see the like again is a bit odd.  She had a life that I wouldn’t have wanted but also more wealth and privilege than almost anyone else ever born will ever know. 

I'm sorry but I think that's bit harsh.

She had no choice as to what circumstances she was born into (just as people born into poverty don't have a choice either) and when she was born it was never envisaged that she might become Queen.

As I posted earlier, I think she has conducted herself in an exemplary manner regarding her total political impartiality during the 70 years of her reign.  With the greatest respect, I doubt that I, you, or any other posters on this forum could have conducted themselves so well over such a long period.  It isn't all just about having money or access to it.

As I said earlier, I'm not a royalist but I'm big enough to give credit where it is due.  Some people, unfortunately, will not do so if it doesn't conform with their values or beliefs.  I don't approve of the monarchy, but I think Liz II did an incredible job as Monarch.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

That Churchill book will be open right now.  DA franticly searching for an appropriate quote. His pointing finger moving slowly across the page, following the words.

When they said that QEII became Queen Churchill was PM, I immediately thought "f*ck, stand by". 

2 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I'm sorry but I think that's bit harsh.

She had no choice as to what circumstances she was born into (just as people born into poverty don't have a choice either) and when she was born it was never envisaged that she might become Queen.

As I posted earlier, I think she has conducted herself in an exemplary manner regarding her total political impartiality during the 70 years of her reign.  With the greatest respect, I doubt that I, you, or any other posters on this forum could have conducted themselves so well over such a long period.  It isn't all just about having money or access to it.

As I said earlier, I'm not a royalist but I'm big enough to give credit where it is due.  Some people, unfortunately, will not do so if it doesn't conform with their values or beliefs.  I don't approve of the monarchy, but I think Liz II did an incredible job as Monarch.

I am unsure how you came to post what you did in response to what I did?

Anyway.  

15 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

She was a fine lady.

I'll pretend that you are not being deliberately obtuse.

She never asked to be born into the monarchy and was thrust into the public eye at a relatively young age. Since then she has served our country for the last 70 years with honour and dignity.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I'll pretend that you are not being deliberately obtuse.

She never asked to be born into the monarchy and was thrust into the public eye at a relatively young age. Since then she has served our country for the last 70 years with honour and dignity.

I said “she had a life I wouldn’t have wanted” but then I wouldn’t want to be bringing six kids up in poverty either.

Anyway.  You clearly feel strongly about it and I have said throughout I respect what she achieved.  I just don’t think that compared to millions of others it was that exceptional?  There are surely millions worldwide who would have happily swapped?

Edited by Asthehills

She led a great life, and her passing is rightly mourned. I still cannot understand why people are leaving bunches of petrol station flowers outside her front gates though. 

One other thought - now we have King Charles, how many Commonwealth states will use the opportunity to ditch the British monarch as their head of state? Queen Elizabeth, even the ardent republicans could respect. But Charles????

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1