Lord of Mann

0bserver

9 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I think it was her ancestors who 'Ruled' the World. One only has to look at the past 50 years in Afrika to see the lack of influence!!!

When the UK controlled colonies around the world, the UK was completely different to today. The UK has very few dominions, and France probably has more. 

21 minutes ago, wrighty said:

She led a great life, and her passing is rightly mourned. I still cannot understand why people are leaving bunches of petrol station flowers outside her front gates though. 

One other thought - now we have King Charles, how many Commonwealth states will use the opportunity to ditch the British monarch as their head of state? Queen Elizabeth, even the ardent republicans could respect. But Charles????

The Commonwealth has actually grown in recent decades and is bigger than ever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Foraging Vintners closing for 2 days too. FFS what is wrong with people. It’s very sad but why after covid does everyone feel the need to shut the world down everytime something bad happens? 

It is really odd how the TV channels are handling it.  UKTV is not showing commercials, BBC1 and 2 is wall to wall and BBC4 is not transmitting.  Channel 4 has a banner along the bottom of the screen that there is important news. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is really odd how the TV channels are handling it.  UKTV is not showing commercials, BBC1 and 2 is wall to wall and BBC4 is not transmitting.  Channel 4 has a banner along the bottom of the screen that there is important news. 

Thank fuck for Netflix.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

At least UKTV don’t have a lower third banner over the programme this time saying to change to bbc 1 for breaking news like when Philip died. 

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I fear that there is a big part of society and the media that can’t move on from the pandemic doom surfing. It’s a very sad event. But closing pubs and venues because a nice old lady has died literally makes no sense at all. Another weeks lost work and inertia for the economy after 2 years already on hold. People not getting paid either probably while we all sit at home watching this nonsense on TV. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I fear that there is a big part of society and the media that can’t move on from the pandemic doom surfing. It’s a very sad event. But closing pubs and venues because a nice old lady has died literally makes no sense at all. Another weeks lost work and inertia for the economy after 2 years already on hold. People not getting paid either probably while we all sit at home watching this nonsense on TV. 

No, I don't understand it.  Respectful observance of the significance is fine and wall to wall on the main stations,   I understand.  But not to just stop. For example, UKTV could still air ads and donate the proceeds to an appropriate charity. Pubs or other businesses closing,  why?  Again, why not open and have a collection box for charity?

Just bizarre. 

• Like 2