Ridiculous marks of “respect”

Newsdesk

3 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Comedy value?

I'm sure Stu would be the first to see his mistake. However unlike some people he  learns from these and strives to improve over and above. 

I saw in the local press this week that he had done a motor cycle course with the IAM and passed. 

Well done Stu. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/first-mhk-to-become-advanced-bike-rider-562356

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

No other nation could manage a queue like this - only in Britain.

I think they’re giving wristbands to those who join which are numbered, and allow people to leave for a bit, and stop foreigners pushing in (like you always get at Spanish theme parks for example)

The Queue is a triumph of Britishness.  The motherlode of queues. The best and biggest queue of all time?  It's art, it's poetry.

It literally stretches across London.  It was 2 miles long when it was 'opened' and is widely expected to reach 5 miles long with 100,000s of people. It has it's own toilets, waterpoints and websites.  People are geo-locating/what3words to food delivery drivers where they are in the queue to receive vital sustenance.  It's being shown live on TV.  People still join the queue knowing they are going to be there for days, shuffling along at a steady 0.1 mph.  

People are now going just to look at the queue.  Will they queue to see the queue? 

It's the greatest piece of British performance art ever undertaken.

Be proud.  Be British.  Queue.

World, this is how you do it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

They used wristbands in Edinburgh. Guessing same system there. Everything was very civilised. Very few cops and just some people at the end of the queue to keep things organised.  But yes, no other nation on earth would embrace queuing like this.  

CDA56C09-19CC-497E-B0CC-1845B7ED456C.jpeg

B47C19ED-EC65-4939-98D9-120C169FC977.jpeg

3D638F92-E071-40D2-87A2-1B88B8A4C8EA.jpeg

I reckon Russia or China are capable of orderly queues when waiting to see their dead leaders.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, emesde said:

I'm sure Stu would be the first to see his mistake. However unlike some people he  learns from these and strives to improve over and above. 

I saw in the local press this week that he had done a motor cycle course with the IAM and passed. 

Well done Stu. 

i think rob the gob callister must also have done this course , he also comes across as a big I AM

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, emesde said:

Well done Stu. 

I think its great, will make it all the funnier the next time he crashes.

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Treason. 

Not like our queue.  THE queue

I once remarked that for all their bragging, the only thing that that the Manx government was really of world-class standard at at was self-congratulation.  Well you can certainly see where they get it from, the cooing over the Queue in the British press as some sort tremendous national achievement has been comic verging on embarrassing.  Apparently no other nation is capable of standing in a line (even though quite a lot of participants seem to be foreign tourists).

That said the organisation seems well done and thought-through (they've had long enough to prepare, but that doesn't always guarantee things).  But I suspect other countries could do as well (and have in the past).

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 10:02 AM, Asthehills said:

I have invented a new word that I think I could sneak into people vocabulary over the next few days.

Undignirespectful 

It means to show your respect in an undignified and crass manner.

My personal preference was for the TV broadcasters to set up temporary and uninterrupted ‘Red Button’ channel(s) or similar with continuous dedicated coverage (24/7) of all things Royal for those of us who have lots of time to spare. For the rest of us, we can all mourn in our own way, perhaps by going about our own business (e.g., Dougal in Father Ted used to pray to God in his sleep and that did not do him any harm).

While the Royal pageantry goes on, the cost of living/ cost of doing business crisis are not taking a hiatus and pay ‘their’ respects. Evidently, the UK will fall into a recession due to the loss of productivity that is occurring during these 10 days, including the day of the funeral. But this temporary downturn in business activity may shave off a decimal point from inflation, not that is going to be particularly helpful with the UK energy bills - market intervention that stabilises wholesale energy prices is badly needed, and the IOM would be a beneficiary too (the UK should follow the EU’s example and whack windfall taxes on all energy producers who are making mega profits; the UK should also temporarily ban UK located oil and gas firms from selling their products into a free-market at free-market prices).  

Post-QEII times will not be plain sailing.        

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

I reckon Russia or China are capable of orderly queues when waiting to see their dead leaders.

Funnily enough I was just thinking the other day, when they were moving her coffin somewhere or other and all the marching and pageantry and all that chanting God save the King when the governor was doing whatever it was he was doing at Government House.

It's all a bit North Korean isn't it? 

• Like 2